Last week, Archos rolled out the first product of their next generation portable media players. These guys just keep making some of the kewlest PMP's on the market. I prefer the 4.3" screen size because the players within that category are still generally small, thin and light. Examples include the Sony PSP, Creative Zen Vision W and of course the Archos 6 series.
The ARCHOS 605 WiFi lets you:
- Play all your digital entertainment: movies, TV shows, photos and music
- Record your favorite TV shows
- Stream and watch videos from your PC
- Download movies and music directly on your PMP using the ARCHOS Content Portal
- Enjoy the new high resolution 4.3'' touch screen (800x480 pixels)
- Internet enabled to surf the Web, share content, and access Web video sites (eg DailyMotion)
- Customize your ARCHOS with great accessories and plug-ins
- View, zoom photos and make slide shows with music and transition effects, for viewing on the PMP or TV
- Listen to all your favorite music in more formats than any other player
- MPEG-4(4) (ASP@L5 AVI, up to DVD resolution)
- WMV (MP@ML, up to DVD resolution)
- With optional software plug-ins (available for purchase on www.archos.com):
- Video Podcast plug-in: H.264 up to DVD resolution and AAC
- Cinema Plug-in: MPEG-2 MP@ML up to 10 Mbps (up to DVD resolution) and AC3 stereo sound (5.1)
- Stereo MP3 decoding @ 30-320 Kbits/s CBR & VBR, WMA, Protected WMA, WAV (PCM/ADPCM).
- With optional software plug-ins (available on www.archos.com):
- AAC stereo audio files
- AC3 stereo audio and 5.1 sound files
See http://www.archos.com/products/gen_5/archos_605wifi/index.html?country=us&lang=en for all of the juicy specs and facts. Apparently they are going to sell a 30, 80 and 160GB version of this PMP. 160GB ? Wow, that's like 140 ripped DVD's. Supposedly the 160GB fat boy is going to sell for about $399. Let's see, you could buy the 80GB iPod Video with the teeny tiny screen, or the 160GB Archos 605 for $50 bucks more. Unless you MUST have iTunes, that would seem like a no brainer.