Windows Vista RC1 is complete – my download is in progress

Windows Vista RC1 build 5600 is complete.  My download is in progress from Seattle and I’ll be flattening my laptop over the weekend to begin running this important milestone.  This will be available to TechNet Plus Direct subscribers next week BEFORE everyone else.  Warm up those fiber connections and DVD burners.

See http://blogs.technet.com/windowsvista/archive/2006/09/01/453491.aspx for a post and information from the Windows Vista team.

Have a wonderful holiday weekend everyone!!!

1. Ben says:

Me again. Now, I don’t mean to keep beating the same dead horse but…anybody can now download RC1 at http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc1/en/download.htm

Yet it’s still not on Technet…

2. Keith Combs says:

Ben, sorry if things didn’t go down like I thought.  I was under the impression from several sources the TAP customers would get it first, followed by TechNet and MSDN subscribers, followed by other dist channels.

Obviously that isn’t what happened.

I have forwarded this information to the TechNet Plus Direct program management.

From here on out, you won’t see me estimate availability.  My estimation skills aren’t very good apparently.

Sorry my friend.

3. Ben says:

No problem – at least I could get my hands on it one way or another, just replacing the (excellent) build 5536 on my laptop now.

As long as we get to see the final release before it turns up in boxes on the shop shelves in the new year, it’s all good 😉

4. rob says:

I noticed that too… Immediately my first thought was to flame Keith also.. 😉  I want it on Technet though.. The download assistant at windowsvista.com doesn’t allow you to throttle the dl.  I don’t want to hog our T1’s here at work..

5. Keith Combs says:

I forwarded a link to this blog post and your comments to the team that is responsible for the TechNet services.  I’m assuming they are reading your comments so clearly articulating your requirements and ideas are a good thing.

Geeks like us want stuff yesterday.  When something comes out on a Friday, especially a Friday on a three day weekend, it’s not always clear to people nerds work 24×7 365.

Especially when it FINALLY rains for a couple of days.  We took a walk in the rain with the dog. Very refreshing…  :?)

6. rob says:

Thanks again, Keith.. once again you’re the man.  RC1 is up on Technet now.  My download is running at a leasurely 150Kps with plenty of bandwidth left over for the rest of the company…  It’s good to be the Network Administrator… 🙂

7. robbie van harsel says:

i am downloading rc1 on this moment,but the vista beta 2 was also a fine piece of software.

so i am waiting for what’s coming next.

thanks for letting me downloading this masterpiece of software.

8. rob says:

Is it just me or is the Product code for Vista RC1 nowhere to be found?  Do I just use the Beta 2 code?

9. benwatt says:

robbie: if you thought beta 2 was nice (found it a little problematic myself), then you’re really going to like RC1.

I’m now finding myself using my laptop more than my desktop because that’s the one I’ve put this latest build on 🙂

Ben

10. benwatt says:

rob: Yes, the beta 2 code works with RC1 as well.

11. Keith Combs says:

By the way, guess who has a blog?  The TechNet Plus Direct folks.  See http://blogs.technet.com/technetplussubscriptions/default.aspx.

12. benwatt says:

Oh, does that mean we have to go and bother them now then instead of you? 🙂

13. Keith Combs says:

No, actually I prefer for you to bother me…  Then I’ll go bother them.  :?)