Windows Vista build 5536 now available for download

WinvistaLadies and Gentlemen, Windows Vista build 5536 is available for download, as promised.  It was about 24 hours later than I anticipated, but that isn’t too bad.  So what’s the catch?

Well, you must be a TechNet Plus Direct or MSDN subscriber.  However, this does demonstrate we listen.  It took way too long to get the TechNet download area, but it’s here now and it’s here to stay.  Not only that, you’ve got a whole team of people keeping an eye on the service and making sure the HOT downloads are being added.

In case you haven’t noticed, the TechNet Plus subscription is a killer deal.  Support incidents, copies of our products, subscriber download area, etc.  Check it out!!!

1. Ben says:

The download area is certainly an excellent improvement to the Technet Plus subscription – but the time it takes for some of these Vista builds to appear could perhaps be improved.

100,000 people were allowed to download build 5536 at the start of the week, days before it appeared on Technet. Obviously that limit was reached relatively quickly, but I was still able to get hold of this build much sooner than I could via Technet by going through the same channels that anybody can for free.

I’m not knocking the Downloads though, I think it’s been a long overdue addition that I’ve already made good use of.

2. Keith Combs says:

Trust me, I’m keeping an eye on things.  Since I have a subscription, I see the same thing you see.  The 100,000 limit is a new twist.  I plan to follow-up with the download team on what they can do to improve the turn around.  Thanks for the feedback.

3. Keith Combs says:

I have confirmed with the TechNet Plus Direct download team that the 100,000 cap does not apply to TechNet Direct subscribers.

4. Ben says:

Good to know, figured the 100,000 limit was just for that public release, but it did seem curious that it was available a fair few days before it was on Technet – I presume the actual RC1 release will be appearing on Technet too?

5. rob says:

Weird… I didn’t even have the TechNet Direct option even though I signed up for it awhile ago.. I had to reassociate my TechNet ID with my Passport to get the option to show up.

6. Keith Combs says:

You presume correct.  Build 5600 will be available next week.