As reported on the Windows Vista Team Blog, you can now apply for access to Beta 1 of the Business Desktop Deployment (BDD) 2007 product. To get access to the bits, go to https://connect.microsoft.com/availableconnections.aspx. You will need to signon with your Passport ID.
BDD 2007 is the best practice set of guidance and automation to optimally deploy Windows Vista and the 2007 Microsoft Office system. BDD 2007 uses an integrated deployment workbench built using ImageX, System Image Manager, Windows PE 2.0, and Windows Deployment Services. The BDDWorkbench enables you to build and manage multiple OS configurations, define network deployment points and network shares, inject drivers, attach language packs, and chain applications. It even helps generate ISO and WIM images using Windows PE. BDD 2007 also alleviates much of the scripting requirements of previous BDD versions by incorporating a stand-alone task sequencer derived from System Center Configuration Manager 2007.
The BDD 2007 Beta 1 release supports four primary Lite Touch deployment scenarios:
- New: Format the computer’s hard disk and install a new operating system (wipe-and-load) and applications.
- Refresh: Save all configuration information, remove the existing operating system, and install a new operating system and applications.
- Upgrade: Preserve existing applications and configuration information by upgrading the existing operating system.
- Replace: Save user data from the old computer. On the new computer install a new operating system and applications and restore the saved user data.
This Beta release of BDD 2007 currently supports deployment of Windows Vista and the 2007 Office system Beta releases. Release versions of BDD 2007 will add support for Windows XP and share common tools with Windows Vista across both x86 and x64 platforms. Included tools and documentation are not feature complete and we strongly recommend following the release notes to get started. Zero Touch features will be available for the SMS 2003 OS Deployment Feature Pack Update to enable hands-free deployment of Windows Vista and 2007 Office system desktops.
The BDD 2007 Beta Program is not supported for production use. Feedback can be submitted through Microsoft Connect and we encourage you to use the desktop deployment newsgroup for questions requiring immediate attention.
BDD 2007 Main Download – BDDVista_Full.msi and BDDVista_Full.cab are required to install the full solution with dependent components (0.9 GB total)
- BDDVista_Full.cab (BDDVista_Full.cab includes the Windows AIK, USMT 3.0 Beta, ACT 5.0 Beta, and Enterprise Learning Framework Guide)
- BDD 2007 Release Notes
- BDD 2007 FAQ
- BDD 2007 Announcement
Bugs – Using Connect Feedback to submit bugs and feature requests