I’m sure by now that a number of you have signed up for the Verizon BroadbandAccess EVDO service. If you are a trail blazer and are part of the Windows Vista testing gang, you have probably noticed by now that Verizon’s connection software (VZAccess) doesn’t run under Windows Vista. Never fear, there is a solution to this problem.
Creating an EVDO Dial-up Connection
- Insert your EVDO modem card. I am using the PC 5740. Make sure you are doing this at home or in an office and Windows Vista networking via your homelan or office lan is already working. The detection process needs to get the drivers from the Windows Vista update site.
- Click the yes button to search for the drivers.
- Let the detection process complete and you’ll see the success result dialog box as indicated below.
- Go to the Network Center. You can get to this a variety of ways, but Control Panel | Network Center works.
- Click Setup a connection or network in the left hand list of tasks.
- Click setup a dial-up connection as shown below
- Pick the modem from the list. In my case, it’s the Curitel PC Card. This will bring you to the next screenshot and allow for the other information we’ll enter.
- Enter #777 as the phone number.
- Enter a network name.
- Check the box that lets other users use this network on your machine. I use this for guest access on my machine.
- Click the Connect button and the new connection will be attempted. You should see the success message similar to the dialog below.
Happy surfing!!! FYI, I also tested VPN connectivity across this to my corporate network.
For the Kyocera, KPC650,
Copy the Verizon VZaccess installer to your harddrive
Open properties, click the run in XPxp2 compat mode and run as admin
Install the software.
Once the install finishes
Insert the card and use network center to create a new dialup connection
If you are prompted for drivers look in program files\verizon wireless\vzaccess manager\drivers\650
Dial #777 – no username or password
You don’t need to use the VZaccess software
I have noticed sometimes when I wake the system and insert the card the system won’t see it. If you just reboot with the card in it will work fine.