The Windows Vista Product Guide was here…

Windows Vista Product GuideEvery so often, something really kewl comes along that you just have to have.  The Windows Vista Product Guide is one of those objects of affection.  It’s a comprehensive look at the Windows Vista product line and explains the features, the differences between the product versions, screen shots, etc.

A word or two of warning is in order.  First, the guide is pretty big (313 pages) so the filesize is almost 44meg.  Second, you’ll need to install WinFX XML Paper Specifications Document (BETA) stuff in order to render this guide.  You can download the WinFX goodies at http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/viewxps.mspx.  Since I already had IE7 installed, I just installed the WinFX Runtime Components and was able to view the document without issue.

I cheated a bit however (as usual).  I am running a Lenovo T60 Dual Core laptop so it certainly has the power to do such things.  Let me know your experience.  I am also currently in the Microsoft Toronto office so I sent the document to one of their high speed duplex printers.  Now I have a few extra pounds of reading for my trip home tomorrow.

Bluestripe_180[1]

UPDATED 4/14/2006

So, where’s the guide?  I had permission from the Program Manager to post the Windows Vista Product Guide to my blog. Apparently, it isn’t quite ready for public consumption so I was asked to remove the link.  If you were lucky enough to download the “sneak peek” preview, enjoy!  The guide will be back when we ship Windows Vista Beta 2.

By the way, the isp server that had the guide caught fire.  Just teasing…

My good buddy (and team mate), Keith Combs, just posted a new entry on his blog that mentions a GREAT…

One of my teammates and good friend Keith Combs, just posted information about on how to get the Vista…

I was surprised to see a number of sites providing the download of the "Windows Vista Beta 2 Product…

4. Keith Combs says:

Keep in mind Windows Vista is still in development so items in the guide will quite possibly change before Windows Vista goes gold later this year.

Also keep in mind the WinFX runtime components are in Beta as well.

Enjoy,

Keith

Keith Combs has a link to the 313 page document that has all the info you need on Windows Vista. Great…

6. Ben says:

Thanks for the heads up. Time to download!!

7. rob says:

Great googliemooglie!  On that Lenovo laptop it costs $2000 to bump the memory to 2 gig!!  Ohmygosh.  $1000 for a chip half the size of a business card.  For the price of the memory alone you could get a sweet small profile desktop with 4 gig and a raid with an LCD and Pelican Case to cart it around…  😉

8. Alb says:

This guide is very interesting, thank you!

As many of you know I love Windows Vista!  This operating system marks a significant leap in the…

10. Tom says:

Could somebody convert this document to PDF format so that I don’t have to install a bunch of beta crap on my machine to read it?

11. Heh says:

That "bunch of beta crap" is Microsoft’s competition to PDF.  You might want to check it out.

12. Keith Combs says:

I totally understand not wanting to install beta software. I don’t really like to install beta software on my production machine.  That’s why I usually have a bunch of disks for my laptops and desktops.  Thankfully VMWare and Microsoft have made the virtual world a great place to test products, thinking, design, etc.

13. Jonathan Davies says:

doh – gone (again!)

14. John says:

XPS file do not appear to be viewable on XP with WinFX and IE7 beta 2 preview. I get this error "This application type has been disabled." As usual with MS stuff IE says it cannot view the document, but it does not tell you how to fix the problem. Bring back Pdf’s at least they are viewable.

15. Paul Jenik says:

Please send me the VPGui to paul.jenik@scheriau-it.at

Thanks

PJ

Finally got round to installing the latest beta build of Vista, not quite as straightforward as I would…

17. Keith Combs says:

I won’t be emailing the guide, or a link to the guide to anyone.  When the guide goes back online, it will most likely show up in an obvious location like http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista

Sorry, but like many of you I work in a large company and you know how these things go. It was interesting to see the blogosphere jump into action though.

18. John says:

Keith, is that a company laptop or a personal one? That thing is amazing… makes my Toshiba look like a child’s play thing.

19. Ryan Spooner says:

To heh: WinFX is not merely a direct competitor to the PDF format. It is much more than that. Also if the point of this document is to blow the trumpet of vista (pardon the expression) to make people want to upgrade, then they are stupid releasing in a format not natively viewable by current standard software in Windows XP. I don’t want to install some large operating system overhaul pack like WinFX that will just allow me to view a document and nothing else. If they want to tout their new XPS format, they need to work on something alot more straight forward and less intrusive than having to install a large unstable beta product. Having something a simple as Adobe Reader would be ideal.

20. Keith Combs says:

The Lenovo ThinkPad T60 I have is an evaluation unit.  I am returning it to my office today, sadly.  We have not made a decision yet which laptop we’ll lease for the next fiscal year.

21. Keith Combs says:

The Windows Vista Product Guide will be available soon in Word format.  It will also be available in hardcopy.  I think the hardcopy will be available for purchase in your bookstores.  I’ll check on that.

22. NEI says:

Hi,keith!!

The vista beta2 have been released.

How noon you can resume the download??