Why Should Small Businesses Use Social Media Marketing?

You may have heard a lot of buzz about social media marketing lately, but do you know what it is? Many companies are now using it to promote their products and services, and therefore are building a stronger and larger business. With the popularity of any social media site today, real-time conversations are happening every day that define your market and brand – whether you choose to participate or not.

Don’t get left behind: those real-time conversations can be harnessed, monitored and measured to drive highly relevant conversations across multiple channels. Creating a social media marketing strategy is more than just creating a Facebook page or a Twitter page. You want return on your investment. You decide the engagement strategy needed which results in sales.

The engagement strategies generating the most return are marketing engagement and servicing engagement. Marketing engagement relies on brand management and awareness while connecting with customers. Servicing engagement places the focus on troubleshooting problems.

Having said that, there are lots of reasons as to why small businesses should be using social media for marketing and business engagement purposes. Here are six compelling reasons:

1. Branding

Social Media Marketing can create a recognisable identity for your product or service. This is extremely
important for a small business. Social Media tools can get the word out about
your brand in a way that promotes online conversation and creates buzz.

2. Word of mouth marketing

Exposure is a key to growing your small business. Word of mouth may not generate business but with social media, you can create buzz around your business and brand. More than 80% of online marketing firms agree social media engagement is based upon social interaction between the customer and the business.

3. Reputation management

Social Media tools let you keep an eye on what other people and sites are saying about your name, company, or brand online. You can then use the insights to fix any problems, if need be. You could use forums and message boards to answer questions professionally, honestly, and correctly, which will earn you respect as an expert in your niche. People will look to you for answers.

4. Find out what works and what doesn’t

Your business does not move forward unless you understand your prior faults. Social media gives you a chance to look at your prior engagement year over year, to find out what worked and what did not work. By doing so, you can review your social media metric tools and engagement score.

5. Helps with search engine rankings

Social media also helps you move up in the search engine rankings because of links. Many social news sites and social networking sites have “follow” links in their profile pages. These “follow” links can provide your online properties with a higher ranking on search engines such as Bing.

6. Cost-effective marketing and advertising alternative

Social media marketing shouldn’t cost a small business nearly as much as traditional advertising. And, if you do it yourself, it might not cost a dime. However, it will cost you time. Depending how much your time is worth, it might be worthwhile to hire someone to help with the social media marketing. But, all in all, social media marketing is just a fraction of the cost of traditional marketing and advertising.

Social media is becoming more and more of a necessity each day for businesses ranging from big corporations down to your average corner shop. Along with a clearly defined identity and already proven to work marketing tricks, social media is a great way of boosting your business both economically and brand wise.

If you’ve used social media to support your business, feel free to share your experience in the comments section.

Thanks, Michael. How are you using social media for your business?

Thanks – feel free to share your list.

thanks

Thank you very much good sir. I’ve added your blog to my list of recommend things to read to some of the business I talk to about managing their social media.
    Very well thought out and nicely explained.

Very well thought out and nicely explained.

9. Fade says:

I've been using social mediato advertise my business because of the reasons you mentioned above – customer reach and it is economical. To maximize social media platform, you need to be adept and you always need to watch for updates.  The internet is a contantly changing platform.  Right now I am doing my best to learn more of the power of youtube.  Youtube is the top 3 website in the world with more than 1 billion unique visits, over 6 billion hours of video are watched, 100 hours of video are uploaded, 70% of traffic comes from outside the US. It is localized in 56 countries and 61 languages. Imagine the number of customers that you will be able to tap using the power of Youtube.  If you want free marketing reports check this site offers.hqplrstore.com/youtube-earlybird

10. Jeff Bickley says:

Lots of truth here. In order to be successful in business today and increase revenues, it's imperative that you match the way you market your products to the way people are learn about and purchase your products. Today, more than ever, this is via social engagement. If your business is not actively participating socially you're leaving huge revenues on the table.

– Jeff

11. harsh kumar says:

Great Post..Brand building is any activity which influences the customer of your product in a positive manner… a brand is not about a slogan, advertising or marketing campaign only – it is about trust and credibility. We all need good <a href="http://www.neeti.biz/">Brand Marketing Company</a>

12. Dirtbikexpress says:

Social Networking is vital for business in our opinion, it's a way for the customer to interact with the business giving a more personal touch to that businesses marketing, thus promoting more opportunity for growth.

Customers always like a more personal touch as they feel more related to those in the business, resulting in a happier customer who likes to deal with you.

Just our $0.02

13. Barbara Southwell says:

Hi,

I love this, I think it's like the 90s when loads of business's said "I don't need a website" or "I don't need email". Ten years before that they had been saying "I don't need a fax machine". Now they are saying "I don't need social media" – but it's going to be the same. In a few years EVERYBODY will have to be doing it. We sell a white label social media platform (and content) and our takeup is crazy at the moment, and getting stronger each month. Social is HUGE and a MUST.  http://retortal.com

14. Sizi says:

hello sir,

i am about to start my mba project on Why Should Small Businesses Use Social Media Marketing covering Nagpur's (Maharashtra, India) small scale businesses.. Your article has helped me a lot..

15. Samuel James says:

This is a great information segment of work

16. Peter File says:

I did not believe this content to be true, because i did not see any overly young content

17. Paul David says:

Social media play a key roll online business, nice topic appreciated thanks for sharing, Get additional help on how to browse the terminology see more <a href="www.sapzilla.com">sap training</a>

18. Tyrone Jameson-ghetto says:

I believe that you have deleted some of the other comments that were here. why?

19. Faiz Rehman says:

Hi Tyrone – I removed some comments that were crossed the line of decency. They also had nothing to do with the topic we're discussing (that's wasn't the issue) so you're not missing anything.

20. Garry Trinder says:

Social media plays a vital role in today marketing field which really helps to promote your business instantly

21. michael Bian says:

Great post. I love the idea of Branding itself.

22. Aamir Malik says:

nice sahre will help readers thanks for sharing. For more information you can visit……………. ……
    http://www.technosoftwarez.com ">Social Media Marketing Services

23. Jacob L. says:

Great advice on how to start marketing yourself using social media. In the past you would have to go to meetings and events and now you can network digitally.

24. John says:

I never knew that social media was so vital I guess I will start working more on our social media sites

25. David says:

I am a appliance repairman and I am trying to figure all this internet stuff out. I stumbled across your article and it is a good article it helped me get a better understanding of what Social media marketing is and why I should be using it. THanks a lot
    buddy http://appliancerepairincompton.blogspot.com/

26. George says:

Thanks for this Faiz, a great starters guide to ‘SMM’

With inspiration from yourself, I have written something a bit larger:

Please take a look 🙂

Thanks,

George

27. Sherman Standberry says:

This is a great post. I’ve also conducted some research on this and think it may be a great value-add to this post perhaps? What do you think, Faiz?

28. tammie46 says:

I just learned a lot from reading your post thanks for taking the time to put this post together for all of us!

29. Scott says:

I have not been using social media to promote my business this article has me thinking that maybe I should rethink that decision.

30. Brian Hanson says:

Faiz, I think you summed up the situation really well. In one way, it’s a great opportunity for local businesses, but, on the other hand, it’s also a bunch of stuff they have to learn about and start working at, instead of just concentrating on performing
    their jobs well. It’s a new world. http://www.SitePromotionCoach.com