If you’d ever considered Physics over CS…

You might want to think again.

(Side note: at one point, the team of people who were in charge of monitoring Microsoft’s Exchange servers and investigating any issues found all had advanced degrees such as Ph.Ds in nuclear physics and the like. Yes, that’s right – real rocket scientists.)

1. Josh Williams [MS] says:

There’s a few of us physics gone CS geeks over on the CLR…

2. Larry Osterman says:

Many of the people in the original GDI group in Windows NT were physicists. Actually, Nathan Myrvhold (former CTO of MS) is a physicist (he studied at Cambridge with Steven Hawkings as his PhD advisor), as was Chuck Whittemer (as were most of the other Dynamical Systems guys).

3. Will Lotto says:

That’s the funniest thing I’ve read all week.

Classic!

4. Tosh Meston says:

As a matter of fact, this OWA developer was a physics major.

5. Sean says:

We work on rockets, but we’re CS guys… oh ok, one PhD in physics in the bunch 😉

6. Jon Galloway says:

Ha! Actual LOL! That graph was frighteningly close to my results for my senior project, Dielectric Properties of Extremely Low Temperature Cordierite. Results were so inexplicable I tried to write everything off as quantum effects. I also killed some time by retrieving some data my advising professor thought he’d lost on the abysmally administered Unix network onto his Mac and crunched the numbers for him, so I got an A for the semester.

Ah, computers, is there anything they can’t do?

7. Marty Garins says:

I chose Physics over CS and then came back to CS. So I have both. I loved the link, it even is from a student at my Alma Mater.

8. Byron Faber says:

At Tek we have a moderate number of non-CS people doing work. In general, for some subsets of software its easier to train non-CS background people into the algorithm work then it would be to train java weenies to handle it.

So.. there is a base there for physics/science backgrounds.

9. Samuel Druker says:

Plenty of physicists around, although I will claim that a nuclear physicist is far far far removed from being a useful rocket scientist.