UIUC‘s a pretty good school. I didn’t get around to finishing my degree, but I have always been proud of the school’s legacy:
- HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey was born there.
- A three year old girl can become (in?)famous just by pushing a button.
- It was one of the first few nodes on ARPAnet.
- Some folks at NCSA put together a little thing called Mosaic (interesting to look back on this – caching was apparently a novel idea)
- One or two other people from UIUC have gone on to found very interesting companies.
- The guy who invented the LED & co-invented the transistor teaches there.
- 20 Nobel Prize winners. Nuff said.
 ”Shampoo Banana” is what students call Champaign-Urbana. “Chambana” is another version.
 She’s in her 20s and married. Does she know that people still talk about her role in history?
 I remember sitting in our ACM offices in 96 or 97, watching a friend work on adding support for blocking banners to Mosaic.
 I will be so proud if Jared ever does something this cool 🙂