How to add links with spaces in them to email

If you’ve ever needed to reference a file or location with spaces in the URI, such as:

\\fileserver\share\my doc.doc stuff.htm

You may have been annoyed by the complete URI not getting auto-linked due to the spaces in it. One way to fix it is to select the entire text, copy it, go to Insert | Hyperlink and paste it in there. But another quicker way to accomplish this is to wrap the URI in < and >, such as:

<\\fileserver\share\my doc.doc>

and Outlook will automatically remove the < >‘s and make the entire URI a hyperlink:

\\fileserver\share\my doc.doc

(I’m using Outlook to post this entry, and it auto-corrected the link with <>‘s above for me; pressing Ctrl+Z reverted it to the way I typed it. This is useful in Excel too, when it auto-hyperlinks a URI you type in a cell)

1. Ron Krauter says:

Great tip.. do you think other email software like Pegasus etc will do the same thing?

2. KC Lemson says:

Sorry I don’t know – I’m guessing you found that entry from the main page. If you open my blog (, you’ll see that I specifically talk about Microsoft Exchange & Outlook :-). There’s a link on the left to my old blog if you’re interested.

3. mkg says:

thanks a lot for the grea tip. You have no idea how much annoyed I have been with Outlook for not making those links correctly. Now I know how to make it work ! 🙂

4. Eric Wilson says:

BEST… TIP… EVER. Seriously, this is one of those things that has ALWAYS been a pain for me in Outlook. Blessing to your and all your offspring (from whatever deity(s) you happen to believe / not believe in) for this tip!

5. KC Lemson says:

What are the rest of "those things" that frustrate you about Outlook?

6. Scred says:

I’ve been doing it with quotes for a while, didnt ever think that other characters would work as well. 🙂

7. Adam Field says:

8. John Porcaro says:

I LOVE this little feature. I’ve been using it for a while. Keep ’em coming!

BTW, I also love that you’re asking the question above "what are the rest of those things that frustrate you about Outlook?" I can’t wait to be part of the conversation…