Sorry for the hiatus, I’ve been OOF sick most of the week. Thus far, my son hasn’t come down with my cold yet – I’m crossing my fingers.
Jim asked in a comment on a previous entry if it was possible to color items automatically based on the category.
The answer: heck yeah! Here’s how (I’m using Outlook 2003 but I think this should work fine in Outlook 2002 as well):
1. Select the calendar folder
2. View | Arrange By | Current View | Customize Current View
3. Click on Automatic Formatting
4. Click Add
5. Give the rule a name, such as “red”
6. In the “Label” drop down, choose the color (say for example… red?)
7. Click Condition
8. Click the More Choices tab
9. Type the category you want to key off of into the Categories field (I used a really wacky one – I named my category ‘red’)
10. OK out of all the dialogs
11. Create a new appointment item and type the name of your category into the Categories field at the bottom of the form.
When you save the item, it will automatically be colored as you specified.
Of course you’re not limited to automatic coloring only based on category… you could autocolor based on the organizer of a meeting request, the attendees, recurring items, meetings marked as confidential, keywords in the subject…