This is a collection of the top Microsoft Support solutions for the most common issues experienced when using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008 (updated quarterly).
1. Solutions related to performance – server:
- What is SQL Nexus?
- Description of the Replay Markup Language (RML) Utilities for SQL Server
- What is Pssdiag/Sqldiag Manager?
- Troubleshooting Performance Problems in SQL Server 2008
- SQL Server I/O Basics, Chapter 2
- Working with tempdb in SQL Server (download)
- Deadlock Troubleshooting, Part 1
- Recommendations and guidelines for the "max degree of parallelism" configuration option in SQL Server
2. Solutions related to cluster failover:
- SQL Server Failover Cluster Instance is taken offline when you change the password for the service account on the passive node
- Error during installation of an SQL server Failover Cluster Instance
- Sql Server Resource Fails to come online on Cluster with Error Error Locating Server/Instance Specified [xFFFFFFFF]
- SQL Server Cluster Failover Root Cause Analysis–the what, where and how
- A SQL Server cluster resource goes to a "failed" state when you try to bring the resource online in SQL Server
- How to clean up the cluster resource group and the databases on a shared disk after a failed failover Cluster Complete operation in SQL Server 2008
- List of Cluster Hotfixes for Windows Server 2008 R2
- Recommended hotfixes for Windows Server 2008-based server clusters
3. Solutions related to Crashes and exceptions
- How to troubleshoot SQL Server database consistency errors
- SQL Server reports errors for exceptions, assertions, and hang conditions
- How to choose antivirus software to run on computers that are running SQL Server
- The use of third-party detours or similar techniques is not supported in SQL Server
4. Solutions related to Backup or restore:
- SQL Backup Simulator
- Best Practice recommendations for SQL Server Database Backups
- How to schedule and automate backups of SQL Server databases in SQL Server Express
- Is SQLVDI.DLL functioning properly?
5. Solutions related to corruption errors and database consistency checks (DBCC):
- How to troubleshoot database corruption errors and System Center…
- How to troubleshoot database consistency errors reported by DBCC CHECKB
- Troubleshooting Error 3313, 3314, 3414, or 3456 (SQL Server)