Getting Started with Log Parser Studio – Part 1

Hopefully, if you are reading this you already know what Log Parser 2.2 is and that Log Parser Studio is a graphical interface for Log Parser. Additionally, Log Parser Studio (which I will refer to from here forward simply as LPS) contains a library of pre-built queries and features that increases the usefulness and speed of using Log Parser exponentially. If you need to rip through gigabytes of all types of log files and tell a story with the results, Log Parser Studio is the tool for you!

None of this is of much use if you don’t have LPS and know how to get it up and running but luckily this is exactly what this blog post is about. So let’s get to it; the first thing you want to do of course is to download LPS and any prerequisites. The prerequisites are:

1. Log Parser Studio (get it here).
  2. .NET 4.x which can be found here.
  3. Log Parser 2.2 which is located here.

Once everything is downloaded we’ll install the prerequisites first. Run the installer for Log Parser 2.2 and make sure that you choose the “Complete” install option. The complete install option installs logparser.dll which is the only component from the install LPS actually requires:

Next we want to install .NET 4 and you can run the webinstaller as needed. Once it is installed all that is left is to install Log Parser Studio. Oh snap, LPS doesn’t require an install, all you need to do is unzip all the files into a folder in the location of your choice and run LPS.exe. Once you have completed these steps the install is complete and the only thing left is a few basic setup steps in LPS.

Setting up the default output directory

LPS (based on the query you are running) may export the results to a CSV, TSV or other file format as part of the query itself. The default location is C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\ExLPT\Log Parser Studio. However, it’s probably better to change that path to something you are more familiar with. To set a new default output directory run LPS and go to Options > Preferences and it is the first option at the top:

Click the browse button and choose the directory you wish to use as your default output directory. You can always quickly access this folder directly from LPS by clicking the show output directory button in the main LPS window. If you just exported a query to CSV and want to browse to it, just click that button, no need to manually browse:

Choose the log files you wish to query

Next you’ll want to choose the log file(s) you want to query. If you are familiar with Log Parser 2.2 the following physical log file types are supported: .txt, .csv, .cap, .log, .tsv and .xml. To choose the logs you need open the log file manager by clicking the orange “log” button shown in the screenshot above. Technically, you can query almost any text based file, more on that in upcoming articles.

In the log file manager you can choose single files, multiple files or entire folders based on log type. Just browse to the logs you care about. You can house multiple file types in the log file manager and only the ones that are checked will be queried. This is very handy if you have multiple log types and you need to quickly switch between without having to browse for them each time:

Note: When adding a folder you need to double-click or select at least one log file. LPS will know that you want all the files and will use wildcards accordingly instead of the single file you selected. If you use the Add Files button then only files you select will be added.

Running your first query

By this point you are ready to start running queries. All queries are stored in the LPS library which is the first window you see when opening LPS. To load any query to run, just double-click it and it will open in its own tab:

The only thing left is to execute the query and to do so just click the execute query button.   If you are wondering why I chose such an icon as this it’s because Log Parser uses SQL syntax and traditionally this icon has always been used to identify the “run query” button in applications that edit queries such as SQL Server Management Studio. If you are wondering why there is another button below that is similar but contains two exclamation points you might be able to guess that it executes multiple queries at once. I’ll elaborate in an upcoming post that covers grouping multiple queries together so they can all be executed as a batch.

Here are the results from my test logs after the query has completed:

We can see that it took about 15 seconds to execute and 9963 records were returned, there are 36 queries in my test library, zero batches executing and zero queries executing.

Conclusion

And that’s it, you are now up and running with LPS. Just choose your logs, find a query that you want to use and click run query. The only thing you need to be aware of is that different log formats require different log types so you’ll want to make sure those match or you’ll get an error. In other words the format for IISW3C format is different than the format for an XML file and LPS needs to know this so it can pass the correct information to Log Parser in the background. Thankfully, these are already setup inside the existing queries, all you need to do is choose an IIS query for IIS logs and so on.

Most every button and interface element in LPS has a tool-tip explanation of what that button does so be sure to hover your mouse cursor over them to find out more. There is also a tips message that randomly displays how-to tips and tricks in the top-right of the main interface. You can also press F10 to display a new random tip.

You can also write your own queries, save them to the library, edit existing queries and change log types and all format parameters. There is a huge list of features in LPS both obvious and not so obvious, thusly upcoming posts will build on this and introduce you the sheer power and under-the-hood tips and tricks that LPS offers. It’s amazing how much can be accomplished once you learn how it all works and that’s what we are going to do next. 🙂

Continue to the next post in the series: Getting Started with Log Parser Studio – Part 2

1. TammyRSmith says:

Thanks again kary!

2. Kary Wall says:

Errors can come from two locations. LPS itself and any true parsing errors are returned via LP 2.2. Both of these are typically shown in a message box with any available exception information. Otherwise there aren’t any errors, just queries that are misconfigured.
    That being said, any errors that LPS knows about regardless of where they come from are logged to a text file already (CTRL+ALT+E). However, keep in mind that 99% of the errors in that text file are the same ones presented to the user when they occurred and
    only serves as a record of what went wrong. I am still unclear as to " Since all rows appear in the output whether they parsed or not" and what that means. 🙂 Additionally but slightly unrelated, if you enable "Log all queries to file" in preferences you’ll
    have a record of every query that you run whether it is in the library or not. This is helpful if a query isn’t returning what you need and you keep making modifications. This log tracks those modifications so that you never lose a query.

how can I query against exchange 2003 message tracking log? I tried with log type W3CLOG with no luck (I get an error, see this screenshot:

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/…/logParser.png

4. Kary Wall says:

Hi Satya,

You might try CTRL+ALT+E which pulls up any errors logged. It may only display what you saw already but worth a try. Next chance I get I’ll try it on 2012 R2 and report back but that "shouldn’t" make a difference.

5. Kary Wall says:

I just posted the solution. Please try this method and see if it works for you:

blogs.technet.com/…/log-parser-studio-exchange-2003-message-tracking-logs.aspx

6. Kary Wall says:

I wanted to update with our findings…

You’ll need to set the registry key limit to at least 1137000 which will get you past that error but there will be additional issues beyond that..

The .NET grid that LPS is going also to complain about that many columns and likely crash so you would have to modify the query to output to CSV instead of the LPS grid using the INTO Statement:

SELECT TOP 10 *
    INTO ‘[OUTFILEPATH]Output.CSV’
    FROM ‘[LOGFILEPATH]’

Excel could still complain about the above because what we basically have here is over 1 million characters of header. WOW! 

Here is something else you can do. Remove the machine name from the headers since it is duplicated thousands of times using a text editor. Just use replace all and replace \MACHINENAME with nothing. That will reduce the total header length in bytes from 1136280 down to 972450 which saves us 163000 bytes. However, that will still cause LPS to complain, again due to the .NET grid and my fear that this many columns falls into the rare and unexpected scenario.

Here is the setting you’ll want to make in the registry via command line:

32 Bit:

REG.exe ADD “HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftLog Parser” /v CSVInMaxRowSize /t REG_DWORD /d 1137000

64 Bit:

REG.exe ADD “HKLMSoftwareWow6432NodeMicrosoftLog Parser” /v CSVInMaxRowSize /t REG_DWORD /d 1137000

So to summarize, make the registry change above and modify the query to export to CSV as part of the query. That should at least get you data from the query you can work with in some form.

Thanks for finding this, good info.

Kary

7. IcI says:

Hi. I think Sunshine is asking where can we review the errors if LPS fails to read the log file.

8. Kary Wall says:

Did you try IISW3CLOG instead of W3CLOG? If that doesn't work I will get you a method for 2k3 message tracking logs. I remember there could be special steps for 2003 Message Tracking logs and will test for you and reply as soon as I can.

9. Sunshine Lewis says:

Hi Kary,

Thanks for a great tool! Is there a way to access parsing errors through the GUI? Since all rows appear in the output whether they parsed or not, maybe you could add an error column with information about what the error is. Even just dumping it to a text file would be helpful.

10. Kary Wall says:

Hello Sunshine,

My apologies… Can you elaborate as I'm afraid I don't quite understand the question.  🙂

11. Wyatt says:

Do I need to do a find and replace for exchange perflogs headers? I’m getting a blank result.

12. Kary Wall says:

Hi Wyatt, which perflogs?

13. Wyatt says:

exchange CAS and Mailbox server performance logs. it’s a binary log that convert to csv. headers are still intact.

14. Kary Wall says:

Due to the way performance monitor logs are laid out, I don’t know of a great way to query them usefully. I’ll check something in a few when I get free and reply back. There are certainly ways to query them with CSV and/or TEXTWORD log types but need to see how useful it is.

15. Kary Wall says:

CSV works. It just requires knowing what you want and how you want it. Choose CSVLOG as the log type then just run the default “new query” to see the basic results:

/* New Query */

SELECT TOP 10 * FROM ‘[LOGFILEPATH]’

16. Wyatt says:

The query ran but came back blank. I’ve feeling the default headers need to be change.

17. Kary Wall says:

Possibly in the perfmon. I ran the query as-is with the out of the box CSV settings and the results came back but I just grabbed a random performance log I had lying around. Have you tried resetting the default CVSLOG settings in LPS just to be sure?

18. Wyatt says:

Kary, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to help me.

I’m getting Log row too long error when choosing CSVLOG type. The registry edit of CSVInMaxRowSize has already been done.

19. Kary Wall says:

My pleasure Wyatt. I’m assuming you are using the setting here:

I’ve actually not personally hit that limit yet. so If you can email me a copy of the headers to karywa@ I’ll take a look but it may be tomorrow before I can dig in to see if I can find a good workaround for you. Otherwise, yes you can create a custom header file but based on the error you are hitting, I don’t see that being anything other than difficult to do.

20. Wyatt says:

Yes, that’s setting I changed. I’ll email you the log headers in a few minute. Thanks!

21. Wyatt says:

The recommended changes made a different. I’m able to see the result of the Exchange logs. I’m only query against certain category of logs at a time. I’m still can’t query against Exchange Perflogs though but that probably has to do with the size of the captured logs.

Thank you very much for the help!

22. Satya says:

Getting error when installed it on Windows 2012 R2. I have tried it on 2 Exchange 2010 SP3 mailbox servers and getting error " Background thread error, one or more errors occurred. Just wondering any .net version mismatching?

Hey all,
    I’m back with some more info to empower your Exchange administration! Once you’ve

24. Joseph Scott says:

Hi, I am trying to parse tracking logs on Exchange 2010. No matter what query I try, or if I change the log type to CSV, I get the same error: Error parsing query: select clause: Syntax error: unknown field ‘recipient address’ record field does not exist.
    The information inside the quotes changes depending upon what query I use, but the initial error stays the same. Running this on Window 2008 R2, querying Exchange 2010 v14.3 build 123.4., using unc paths to log directories on remote servers.

25. anon says:

This is a fantastic tool. It is making my life a lot easier. Thank you for all your hard work!

26. NoXiDe says:

According to what I’ve seen online Log Parser 2.2 supports .evtx files as long as you use -i:EVT why is it that Log Parser Studio doesn’t seem to support .evtx file format? I’ve tried selecting my .evtx files and it won’t parse them it just grabs the default
    local logs when I try to query the .evtx files I select using the "Choose Log Files/Folders to query" button in LPS. The .evtx format is the native format for EventLog exports and LPS looked SO promising for what I wanted to do until I realized it isn’t working
    with .evtx files…can you help me with this? Maybe I’m doing something wrong…?

27. NoXiDe says:

Forgot to mention I am selecting/using the "Log Type: EVTLOG" in LPS when I am attempting this…your help would be immensely appreciated!

28. NoXiDe says:

I believe I’ve figured out what this wasn’t working- the location I was specifying which was storing my .evtx files was a mapped network drive…as soon as I copied one of the .evtx files to my local disk it seemed to work fine….does this make sense?
    Would there be any specific reason LPS cannot parse .evtx files stored on mapped network drives? If there is not can you add/fix this functionality? Thanks so much!

29. Kary Wall says:

Hi NoXiDe, I don’t see why it wouldn’t query the logs over a mapped network drive. A couple items of interest…

LPS can query live event logs such as \computernamelogname eg… \localhostapplication or \remotehostapplication

Or as you are using it, read the logs directly from the file system. Were the mapped remote files live or exported? Meaning, if they were the live logs AND you accessed them as a file it could have been locked by the remote system but that is a guess not knowing
    more about the details.

30. Kary Wall says:

@Joseph

If the field has a space then use brackets instead of quotes such as [recipient address]’

This also works when using aliases and custom field names:

Select FieldName AS [My Custom Name]
    FROM ‘[LOGFILEPATH]’

31. Kary Wall says:

Note I mistakenly left a ‘ at the end of the example above, that is a typo it should read:

[recipient address]

32. Duane says:

I am trying to run the LPS on our webserver, but i am getting a .NET runtime error (1000 and 1026). we have LP 2.2 installed and it works. I am not a web system administrator but i have been told we have .NET 2.0 and .NET 4.0 installed on this server.
    are there other steps to the installation that i am missing.?

33. Jeff Mine says:

Is it possible somewhere to say that you want the input file to be in binary format (like the -i:BIN option in logparser at the command line)?

One area I do developer support for is EAS development with those who have an EAS client development

35. hafloaded says:

Hi,

Is LPS checking the registry for the presence of LP? Was wondering if it was possible to check the local folder first? The reason I am interested in this is that on the computers we use, we aren’t allowed to make ‘administrative changes’ (i.e. installs). So
    I often install on another computer, package up the files and copy them to the restricted computer as a ‘portable application’. This usually works, but LPS seems to check the actual registry rather than a config file?

Andrew

36. Jason M says:

LP 2.2 Download links everywhere seem broken. I can’t find anywhere to actually get LP, which is a prereq for LPS.

Where can Log Parser 2.2 actually be obtained from?!?!

37. Ramnath says:

Hi
    Would like to know whether we can use LP to interpret WebSphere IHS logs?

38. myasar says:

Hi everybody,
    this program sucks to me. Because I have some of iis log files and I want to make queries and tests.

Program says about my queries of one some records found(counts:180), the second query does not show this records like attached screenshot.

[url=http://hizliresim.com/GoVyW7][img]http://i.hizliresim.com/GoVyW7.jpg[/img][/url]

This program sucks to me. Am I right?

39. Amjath says:

How do I go about checking the user-agent details? I don’t see such an query in the library. Any help? Thanks!

1. Kary Wall says:

You want to include the cs(user-agent) field in your query. Let me know if you need more details.

40. Raj says:

Hi,

Is is possible to pass parameters into a query?

1. Kary Wall says:

Potentially but not directly in LPS. You could (again potentially) export the query as a PowerShell script (File > Export > As PowerShell Script). You could then replace the sections you want to exchange with parameters in the query with PowerShell $variables, then introduce those as parameters in the PowerShell script. You could then run the script and pass in the parameters when running the script:

.\MyExportedQuery.ps1 -AutoOpen $true -OutFile C:\Temp\MyReport.CSV -MyCustomParam1 “SomeParm” -MyCustomParam2 “SomeOtherParam”

Obviously this is more efficient for something you may run regularly but not so much for one-offs.

Regards,

Kary

41. Steve Holton says:

LPS.EXE – the .NET part – appears to run as a 32 bit application (according to Process Explorer). With large numbers of log files (several months, broken down in daily logs by IIS), it occasionally uses the entire heap and dies IF no “INTO” is included to write to a file (so output is cached by LPA in the heap, apparently??). Writing to a file (csv) works w/o running out of memory, but then how to view? (Excel complains about too many rows – didn’t try LPS to process csv as it already crapped out due to memory, etc.). Any chance a 64 bit assembly could be produced for LPS (log parser itself appears to be C++ exe, and it doesn;t appear to have a memory problem as it runs “fine” as long as output goes to a file… LPS seems to be the memory bottleneck)

1. Kary Wall says:

This is because Log Parser 2.2 is 32 bit so we are bound to 32 bit in LPS. Typically what eats up all the heap space (we only have ~2GB) is populating the GUI with the results. Therefore using INTO to send to a CSV file bypasses LPS completely. In other words the underlying native LP 2.2 writes that file directly saving us the memory usage. I recommend that anytime the result set is larger > 50-100k rows, go to CSV.

To address too many rows in the CSV file you can then query that file as CSVLOG in LPS, that means you wouldn’t SELECT * to select all rows; with this many rows we should have an idea of what we are looking for to begin with which we can narrow down. I recommend ‘narrow down’ with this wording, because result sets this large really beg the question as to why we need it unless we are going to query it and narrow down further.

1. Steve Holton says:

Thanks for the reply. The Excel rows was an add-on issue. The real issue is with the 32 bit heap. We have investigations with large numbers of log files (some load balanced web apps use 8 or more servers, and we usually keep 30-60 days of IIS logs cut at daily intervals – so we may have 240 to 480+ logs involved in an investigation) it would be nice to be able to save off this list of log files, as we sometimes have several investigations running at any one time, and occasionally need to return to a previous investigation – restting the 240+ log files in order to return is somewhat tedious – if we could save and restore the “log playlist” it would be a nice add-on feature. Not sure what effect these relatively large number of log files might have on LPS heap usage? Anyway, I leave tabs open as I “drill down” into an issue. First tab is an “overview” tab, where I might have ranked IP addresses by amount of data transferred (for a data exfilt investigation) or ranked by number of “invalid requests” for a brute force password attack, or ranked by number of SQL-like URIs (“select”, “where”, “join”, etc.). I then start a new tab for each IP that looks suspicious from the first tab results. This I usually sort by date/time for that IP, to get a better feel for the sequence of requests issued from this IP address. I may have 10-25 tabs open, depending upon how many “suspicious IPs were discovered in tab 1. Some of the IPs may have large volumes of processing – perhaps attacker used SQLMAP, or BURP SUITE, or other automated mapping/fuzzing tools and generated many requests over a fairly long period of time, etc. Anyway, I end up “out of heap”. It seems to me that it would be a fairly simple “flip the switch and re-compile” to produce a 64-bit version of LPS (given that you have the source code – ILDASM shows that LPS is .NET v4…). And it would supply the needed “breathing room”. Any chance of this happening?? (maybe supply both the 32-bit and 64-bit assemblies and let the user pick which to use?). Thanks

1. Kary Wall says:

I think a may have missed this Steve, if so, my apologies.

I can’t recompile because of the underlying dependency on Log Parser 2.2 which is out of development and 32 bit. That is the single reason LPS is 32 bit and the reason that the only way around the heap limitation is to run the query to CSV (because it bypasses the GUI of which filling the grid is what eats up all the heap memory). If you see this and want to elaborate on the subject, I’m happy to engage.