I continue to be amazed at the useful stuff on technet.com I ran across this the other day, looking something up about Hyper-V.
Security is always top of mind these days, so I thought I would share our Hyper-V Security Guide.
Download This Solution Accelerator
About This Solution Accelerator
The Hyper-V Security Guide provides IT professionals with guidance, instructions, and recommendations to address key security concerns about server virtualization.
Microsoft Hyper-V technology allows consolidation of workloads that are currently spread across multiple underutilized servers onto a smaller number of servers. This capability provides a way to reduce costs through lower hardware, energy, and management overhead while creating a more dynamic IT infrastructure.
The Hyper-V Security Guide can help you elevate the security of virtualized Windows Server environments to address your business-critical needs.
This guide focuses on three key areas:
- Hardening Hyper-V
- Delegating virtual machine management
- Protecting virtual machines
Included in the Download
The download for the Hyper-V Security Guide includes the following components:
- Hyper-V Security Guide.zip. This file includes the following individual files:
- Hyper-V Security Guide.docx. This Microsoft Word document is the primary component of this Solution Accelerator. See the following "In More Detail" section for chapter descriptions.
- Hyper-V Security Guide Overview.docx. A two-page overview description of this Solution Accelerator.
- Release Notes.rtf. This file describes any outstanding issues and other important information.
In More Detail
The Hyper-V Security Guide includes the following content:
- Overview. The overview states the purpose and scope of the guide, defines the guide audience, and describes its structure to help you locate the information that is relevant to you. It also describes the user prerequisites for the guidance.
- Chapter 1: Hardening Hyper-V. This chapter provides prescriptive guidance for hardening the Hyper-V role, including several best practices for installing and configuring Hyper-V with a focus on security. These best practices include measures for reducing the attack surface of Hyper-V as well as recommendations for properly configuring secure virtual networks and storage devices.
- Chapter 2: Delegating virtual machine management. This chapter discusses methods for delegating virtual machine management so that virtual machine administrators only have the minimum permissions they require. It describes common delegation scenarios, and includes detailed steps to guide you through using Authorization Manager (AzMan) and System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 (VMM 2008) to separate virtual machine administrators from virtualization host administrators.
- Chapter 3: Protecting virtual machines. This chapter provides prescriptive guidance for securing virtual machine resources. It includes best practices and detailed steps for protecting virtual machines by using a combination of file system permissions, encryption, and auditing.
The following resources provide additional information about security topics and in-depth discussion of the concepts and security prescriptions in this guide:
Community and Feedback
- Want to know what’s coming up next? Check out our Security Guidance Blog.
- E-mail your feedback about the Hyper-V Security Guide to the following address: SecWish@microsoft.com.
- If you’ve used a Solution Accelerator within your organization, please share your experience with us by completing this short survey (takes less than 10 minutes).
About Solution Accelerators
Solution Accelerators are authoritative resources that help IT professionals plan, deliver, operate, and manage IT systems that address real-world scenarios. Solution Accelerators provide free prescriptive guidance and automation to accelerate cross-product integration, core infrastructure development, and other enhancements.
Register to receive the Solution Accelerator Notifications newsletter so that you can stay informed about new Solution Accelerator releases and updates. The newsletter covers such areas of interest as
- Communication & Collaboration
- Security, Data Protection, & Recovery
- Operations & Management