How to troubleshoot error 0x800F081F when installing roles and features

I’ve seen a couple of issues now where customers are having issues installing roles and features, particularly the .Net Framework 3.5, in Windows 8 and Server 2012.  The general process is that you’ll have an application that needs the older .Net Framework and run through the UI wizard in an attempt to download the files from Windows Update.  If this fails, you’ll see the error with exit code 0x800F081F.  The means that we cant find a source for the files we need to install the feature you’re requesting.  So, how do you troubleshoot this?

1. Make sure the source you’re using isn’t corrupted.  If you have a download ISO from MSDN/TechNet/VL/etc, make sure that the ISO is good or try another source just to make sure.
  2. Make sure the component store isn’t corrupted.  I’ve spoken in the past about the Inbox Corruption Repair feature (aka in-box CheckSUR) and it usually resolves a lot of these problems.  You can check your system for problems by running the command: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth from an Internet connected machine.  Any corruption and repair operations will be logged to the CBS.log
  3. If you have a WSUS server on your network, use the /LimitAccess switch from DISM and install the component that way.  For example, for the .Net Framework, this command is: DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /Featurename:NetFX3 /Source:G:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess (where G: is the appropriate letter for the location of the DVD/ISO)
  4. Update your source media.  I reference how to do this in this prior post
  5. If all else fails, open a support ticket with us so we can take a look at your logs and determine what’s going on.

Most of the time, I’ve seen steps 1-4 (or a combination of them) resolve these types of issues.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have questions.

–Joseph

k, then we'd need to see the CBS.logs to figure out the issue

Another thing, did you happen to move your component store to another drive?  Are you using a mount point or something like that here?  If so, that will also cause that (and its unsupported)

I am very protective of signing up to places where I give up my personal info (I take my privacy VERY seriously) but this issue made me create a technet account.

Hi, Joscon.

I have been haunted with a similar issue (my error code being 0x800F0922) since I gave up thousands of dollars to purchase this high spec windows 8 PC.

The problem occurs when I try to install .NET 3.5, either on demand (when installing an app which requires it), via turning on windows features, or even DISM (copying the sxs folder to C:net53 and running the above command); nothing works. it just runs through to 100% and throws the error. I even ran the other DISM commands you recommended (DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth) – all to no avail!

I can't even play games with my expensive high-spec GPU because of this! Microsoft is letting me down!

I've got the DISM log, here is the link to it;

Thanks in advance.

Which OS Kahul?  You cant install 3.5 from an MSI package on Win8+

You have to make sure that you follow the steps above and that you aren't copying and pasting the command in when you're trying to add the feature.  I've seen most people hit this because of extra spaces in the commands.

Andre's right, I'd need the entire folder in this case and I'd also be interested about langpack installations.

That's the DISM PowerShell cmdlet, yes.  You could also do it in DISM if you like.

also upload the CBS log folder.

Have you installed a MUI? In this case the setup of 3.5 fails, you need to copy the sxs folder from a DVD which is the language you've installed or expand the MUI package (lp.cab) with expand into the Sxs folder.

Ok, found your answer, apps are installed per user, so they need to be uninstalled a little differently.  We have documentation around this located here: technet.microsoft.com/…/hh852635.aspx

Basically, you'll use Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers to list out the packages and then Remove-AppxPackage <PackageFullName> to remove it from the system.

That error is:

ERROR_NOT_SAME_DEVICE

# The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive.

I see your DISM.log has the command:

DISM.EXE: Executing command line: dism.exe  /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:f:sourcessxs /LimitAccess

The problem with the command is you have an extra space between DISM and /Online which will cause the command to fail.  I would try typing the command in if you're attempting to copy and paste it in.

That looks PowerShell only? No DISM way to do it for All Users? 🙂

Looking over the logs it looks like we're having a problem with the disk path which is why we're getting the invalid device.  Have you run CHKDSK on this volume?  I'm wondering if this is happening because of a bad sector or something like that

2013-01-21 18:32:05, Error                 CSI    00000084 (F) Volume serial # mismatch. Tempdir is (path:[l:44{22}]"??C:$$PendingFiles", serial:3256174064 (0xc21545f0)). Target is (path:[l:176{88}]"??C:Program FilesMSBuildMicrosoftWindows Workflow Foundationv3.5Workflow.Targets", serial:3468467385 (0xcebc9cb9))

[gle=0x80004005]

2013-01-21 18:32:05, Error                 CSI    00000085@2013/1/22:01:32:05.334 (F) basewcpsilfs_buffered.cpp(3212): Error STATUS_NOT_SAME_DEVICE originated in function Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::CBufferedFileSystemProvider::CreateOrOpenContentsFile expression: (null)

[gle=0x80004005]

2013-01-21 18:32:05, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCBS.log to WER report.

2013-01-21 18:32:05, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCbsPersist_20130121215437.log to WER report.

2013-01-21 18:32:05, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCbsPersist_20130121190712.log to WER report.

2013-01-21 18:32:05, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCbsPersist_20130121184705.log to WER report.

2013-01-21 18:32:05, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCbsPersist_20130121115520.log to WER report.

2013-01-21 18:32:05, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCbsPersist_20130121095220.log to WER report.

2013-01-21 18:32:05, Info                  CBS    Not able to add pending.xml to Windows Error Report. [HRESULT = 0x80070002 – ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]

2013-01-21 18:32:05, Info                  CBS    Not able to add pending.xml.bad to Windows Error Report. [HRESULT = 0x80070002 – ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]

2013-01-21 18:32:05, Info                  CBS    Not able to add SCM.EVM to Windows Error Report. [HRESULT = 0x80070002 – ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]

2013-01-21 18:32:05, Error                 CSI    00000086 (F) STATUS_NOT_SAME_DEVICE #410961# from Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::CSystemIsolationLayer_IRtlSystemIsolationLayerTearoff::TransferFile(flags = (ReplaceIfExists|OpenForBackupIntent|MissingFileIsOk), op = [24]"HardLinkWithCopyFallback", odir = @0x8951673c08, oname = [l:32{16}]"Workflow.Targets", ndir = @0x8951673398, nname = [l:32{16}]"Workflow.Targets", disp = Unmapped disposition: 0)

[gle=0xd00000d4]

2013-01-21 18:32:05, Error                 CSI    00000087 (F) STATUS_NOT_SAME_DEVICE #407479# from CFileInstaller::CommitChanges(…)[gle=0xd00000d4]

2013-01-21 18:32:05, Error                 CSI    00000088 (F) STATUS_NOT_SAME_DEVICE #407478# from PrimitiveInstaller::CCoordinator::FinalizeChanges(…)[gle=0xd00000d4]

2013-01-21 18:32:05, Info                  CSI    00000006 SMI Primitive Installer [done]

Than you guys for your quick responses. I really appreciate it! I have uploaded the CBS folder (and the new DISM log folder since I tried it again after some moreattempts at repairing windows. – you will see that on the CBS logs)

Please, remember, restoring windows is NOT an option. I use this PC for application development as well, and I have already done A LOT of customization by my company (including some paid propriety software) which took ages (I had to send it over)

again, many thanks for your help in advance!

You mean outside of just uninstalling it in the UI?  Good question, for now, I'll just say I don't know.  Let me work on this a bit and I'll get back to you.

Sorry, off-topic question: Is there any way to uninstall Store installed third party apps using DISM? dism -online /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName: only seems to work for provisioned (built-in) apps that are part of the image.

the performance counters are corrupted, that's why .net install fails.

2013-10-04 08:42:08, Error                 CSI    000000ba@2013/10/4:05:42:08.957 (F) CMIADAPTER: Inner Error Message from AI HRESULT = HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(1010)

[44]"The configuration registry key is invalid.

"

]

[gle=0x80004005]

2013-10-04 08:42:08, Error                 CSI    000000bb@2013/10/4:05:42:08.957 (F) CMIADAPTER: AI failed. HRESULT = HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(1010)

Element:

[51]"<lodctr xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3" />"

[gle=0x80004005]

2013-10-04 08:42:08, Error                 CSI    000000bc@2013/10/4:05:42:08.957 (F) CMIADAPTER: Exiting with HRESULT code = HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(1010).

Run "lodctr /r" from a cmd with admin rights and try again.

blogs.msdn.com/…/unable-to-install-iis-web-server-role-the-configuration-registry-key-is-invalid.aspx

17. aliamita says:

Hi, I did not like it but I'm going to say what you want to enable error 1420 thanks my email address Amitabh aliamita.aa @ gmail.com

18. aliamita says:

Hi again because I have not enabled Windows 8 Microsoft Dunnett 3.5'll have to ask you a simple solution to enable it to people who are experiencing this problem as Amitabh thanks

19. mayur says:

in my laptop 66.5% is successful done.after that error is occurred

20. gethe says:

I've been haveing problems installing the .Net 3.5 also. The error i get from Windows Update is:

0x80070011

I tried opening and Admin cmd and used:

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:f:sourcessxs /LimitAccess

where f: is my dvd drive where the install disk is located.

I also tried:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

but non of these were able to resolve the issue.

dism.log link: http://sdrv.ms/10jxvdX

21. gethe says:

thanks, i tried it again typing the whole thing out, but I still got the same error.

22. gethe says:

I have put my 6 CBS/.log file in this .zip: http://sdrv.ms/Vp6TYP

23. rahul says:

0x800F081F

I tried opening and Admin cmd and used:

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:i:sourcessxs /LimitAccess

where i: is my dvd drive where the install disk is located.

I also tried:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

but non of these were able to resolve the issue.

24. Mike Heanue says:

We resolved this by using dism.exe and using a capital letter for the drive letter for where the source files are kept.

25. justhyno feba says:

check if your windows into dvd/iso is same version ( 32bit or 64bit).

26. Kakul says:

I have download "dotnetfx45_full_x86_x64.exe" NF 3.5 from miscrosoft website ,… but i m not ale to install bcuz It reqire 3.5 again ??

27. thanksunivers says:

bull’s-eye

28. greg says:

I am getting the same error (0x800f081f) saying the source files can’t be found. I tried using the cleanup-image and restore-health commands, also using capital letter for the drive, and nothing has helped.

The first error in the log is: "Error in operation: source for package or file not found, ResolveSource() unsuccessful. (CBS HRRESULT=0x800f081f) – CCbsConUIHandler::Error

The error in the CBS log is: Failed to process single phase execution. [HRRESULT = 0x800f081f – CBS_E_SOURCE_MISSING]