Fixing component store corruption in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012

One of the most used tools when fixing corruption for Windows Vista, 7, 2008 and 2008 R2 was the System Update and Readiness Tool (KB947821), commonly called CheckSUR.  The CheckSUR tool was an excellent way for most people to see what corruption had happened on their store, and potentially fix that corruption if the tool contained the payload to do so.  I’ve written in the past how to use this mechanism to also fix corruption when the CheckSUR utility doesn’t include the payload for your files to “fool” CheckSUR into resolving the problem without needing to do all sorts of whacky permission changes (http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2010/05/26/using-checksur-and-update-packages-to-fix-corruption.aspx).

The way this works in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 is different, in a fantastic way.  It’s called Inbox Corruption Repair and it brings the functionality of CheckSUR into Windows rather than requiring a separate download to get the utility like you do now.  This is exposed in two ways, the first is really unseen by the end user and happens when we detect a corrupted state when attempting to install fixes via Windows Update.  When this happens, we’ll fix the corruption silently and then re-install the prior packages.  The manual way to use this tool is via DISM.  The way this is exposed is via the DISM /Cleanup-Image functionality.  Here’s what the available switches do:

/CheckHealth: This checks to see if a component corruption marker is already present in the registry.  We’ll inform the user if there is corruption but nothing is fixed or logged anywhere.  This is merely a quick way to see if corruption currently exists.  Think of it as a read-only CHKDSK. This operation should be almost instantaneous.

/ScanHealth: This checks for component store corruption and records that corruption to the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log but no corruption is fixed using this switch.  This is useful for logging what, if any, corruption exists.  This operation takes ~5-10mins.

/RestoreHealth: This checks for component store corruption, records the corruption to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log and FIXES the corruption using Windows Update.  This operation takes ~10-15mins or more depending on the level of corruption.

As an example, if you wanted to run this utility against your local component store to check for corruption and you wanted it to repair everything as it found it you would run the following command: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

So a couple of things of note here:

1. CheckSUR.log is not created using Inbox Corruption Repair, this logging has now been rolled into CBS.log
  2. I would typically recommend you run /RestoreHealth if you suspect corruption as it will record and fix issues and takes about the same time as /ScanHealth.
  3. This functionality is also present in Windows PowerShell and can be scripted across an environment
  4. Windows Update or a network available WIM are valid recovery sources but WSUS installations are not.  This is important because if you have WSUS enabled in your environment, there is a chance that your repair operations may be captured by the WSUS Servers and not be properly serviced.  You can control this behavior using Group Policy or the /LimitAccess switch
  5. If you decide to block Windows Update and use a local source WIM, the WIM will only be able to recover payloads present in that WIM.  This means that you’ll need to update your WIM files accordingly to match the patch level of your environment or you wont successfully recover.
  6. CheckSUR will continue to be available for down-level operating systems prior to Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 and will continue to get updated

These changes are really fantastic in my opinion because you no longer need to attempt to move files from other servers, manipulate permissions or “hack” other utilities to get corruption resolved.  Windows Update is updated frequently so that it contains all of the payloads necessary to repair corruption.  And above all else, Inbox Corruption Repair can repair both payload files and manifests (CheckSUR only did manifests) which is a HUGE win for you and I as customers.

As always, ask questions here.

–Joseph

@warder glad it worked out for you.  I didn't see the comments til this morning so I'm glad you figured it out.

The permissions aren't messed up, you cant open the log because its in use.  You just need to open the log via command line using notepad cbs.log.  Can you drop that CBS.log somewhere I can get to it?

Thanks for the file, you're hitting one portion of this due to a bad attribute in the file:

2013-06-26 12:07:45, Error                 CSI    000000f9 (F) Invalid attribute name found: [l:14{7}]"Versioj"[gle=0x80004005]

2013-06-26 12:07:45, Error                 CSI    000000fa@2013/6/26:19:07:45.499 (F) basewcpidentityid_baseidentity.cpp(1267): Error STATUS_SXS_INVALID_IDENTITY_ATTRIBUTE_NAME originated in function Windows::Identity::Rtl::Implementation::CRtlIdentityBase::CRtlIdentityBase_Initialize expression: pBAI != 0

[gle=0x80004005]

The image that you've installed from, was it made using something like vLite or nLite?  I've seen things like this before where its not a Microsoft image but a frankenimage built using one of those tools.

@Vadim;

Glad that worked for you.  Thanks for reading 🙂

Ok. Managed to fix the display driver and logged in to Windows (not in safe mode).

Hoorah! The DISM managed to fix the store.

Couple of suggestions:

1) Tools like this must be able to run from safe-mode.

2) It's very uncool when a corrupted manifest file prevents Windows from booting, because it refuses to load "unsigned" drivers (the driver is signed and the catalog is ok, but the manifest linking the two is broken). The previous time, Windows didn't even allow me to use keyboard because the usbhub.sys driver became "unsigned" because of the manifest corruption. This is stupid…

Tnx for your feedback. I was afraid that was the final conclusion 🙁 Its my mediaserver running an XBMC instance, so find it strange that it should have been corrupted in any way.

Reinstall whenever 8.1 comes out then….

Of course, put them somewhere I can get to them and I'll have a look when I can.

No problem, let me know how it goes.

Can you share out your DISM log somewhere for me?

@fduch;

Thanks for the comments.  Were you running in safe mode or safe mode with networking?  The commands should have been able to repair you with safe mode with networking.  Standard safe mode doesnt initialize the NIC.

As for the corrupt manifest stopping Winndows from booting, that will happen if the driver is a boot critical driver.  We dont load unsigned drivers for security reasons, thus its ends up being a dual pronged problem (fix the corruption, fix the boot file, fix the issue).  Again, I think if you had a live NIC, this might have been resolved for you as well.  Glad this worked out for you in the end.

Thanks, I need the CBS.log as well if you can.  DISM only shows me the commands you ran and where the provider failed.

Mike

The only thing I see here is CSI corruption, that's not something IBCR is meant to recover as far as I know, which is why its failing.  Unfortunately, a lot of CSI based issues aren't repairable without a repair install.  Does your event log show anything like disk corruption or other errors recently?

apparently random. the last time i simply did right menu click and boom. so you tell me to try DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command? sorry but what do you mean whit: It cant hurt 😉 ?

Mike;

Really, the best thing is a clean install however an in-place upgrade (installing over top), should replace the component store as part of its routine.  I've seen instances where this doesnt happen but it was generally as a result of bad hardware.

@Ian;

First, thanks for reading my blog/UTGs….nice to know people are getting something out of the material.

As for your question, no, there isn't backwards compat for these DISM commands.  We rearchitected the way this works in Windows 8 which is the reason why this wont work.  You can fool CBS into using CheckSUR and source files by putting them in the packages directory however.  I have an older post that speaks to that.

Hmmm, nice idea but in my case it isnt working out well.  Bearing in mind "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" is supposed to fix any corruption, the response I am getting isnt ideal:

Error: 14098

The component store has been corrupted.

Any ideas?

Can you put your CBS log somewhere I can get to it?  Thanks

Thanks.  In looking over the logs, that is the only thing that I see that stands out.  You might want to search the system for localized versions of files that might be staged on the system and then delete them from the system and reattempt the update.

I'll leave the comment xplclient but in the future I ask that you just stick to your point.  I know plenty of people looking forward to Win8 release and plenty that will stay with Win7.  That's what choices are there for.

–Joseph

Easiest way I could think to start would be to do a text query for the different strings for localized files.  The culture descriptors are located here:

technet.microsoft.com/…/cc722435(v=WS.10).aspx
    and the descriptor for Bangladesh is bn-BD.

Done 🙂

If they're the customized one's yes, that's fine.  If they were the core MMC files, I would want to see that fixed.

Ok, I'll try to answer a couple of these at once 🙂

0x800f0906 is a source directory issue most of the time.  I'd need to see your logs to be sure, but make sure you're not copying and pasting in the command because it can leave trailing spaces/long dashes where there shouldn't be.

0x8007371 is SxS corruption.  Unfortunately you had a log wrap so the one posted doesn't show me anything.  Can you cab up your CBS folder and repost it for me?

Tnx.

Link to a shared skydrive file: http://sdrv.ms/170fdTt

Below is a link to my zipped CBS log folder.  Thanks for looking into it.

docs.google.com/…/edit

Vicky

Hi Joseph,

I have an issue on a 2012 server where a Windows Update (KB2756872) refuses to install.  CBS log shows "00000012 Unable to validate file installation request; attempt to stage a file that is not part of the corresponding component."

I have used your command (dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth) to repair the component store but nothing appears to be able to get this update to install.  Was hoping you had some pointers.

Logs are here:

skydrive.live.com/redir

skydrive.live.com/redir

I am normally good at tracking fixes down but am stumped here.  Tried Windows Update repair cab.  Reboots, manually downloaded the MSU etc.

Originally the dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth ran and showed no errors so I decided to roll back a bunch of updates to see if somehow something was conflicting.

Now it shows an error was fixed although the log shows no errors except this "Repr: CSI meta data corruption found, will commit repair transaction if repair is asked.".  This shows every time I run the command.

Appreciate the help and info you provide in your blog.

RW

The command is failing because of an incorrect parameter. Are you copying and pasting the command in or typing it in?  I see a trailing space in the DISM log for the command but sometimes the logs show that and its not really there.  Can you try typing in the /restorehealth command manually and let me know the results?

No this utility is not available in Windows 7

We don't use a lot of the traditional servicing mechanisms mentioned here for the installation of Office because it doesn't have a ton of Windows components.  That said, your error (0x80073712) is a corruption marker in the component store so you definitely have a Windows issue at play (which could impact Office or any other app install depending on the corrupt component(s).

Do you have your DISM/CBS logs somewhere I can take a look at them?

Corruption is typically a missing manifest or security catalog.  CHKDSK reports its repairs to the Application event log

Well thats not ideal.  Sorry about your experience.  Hopefully, all is well with the new install.

Andre;

I'm interested to hear more about your thoughts on user experience.  Feel free to shoot me mail with your thoughts.

–Joseph

Sure thing Matt, added an example command line for you to the blog.  Let me know if you need something additional.

–Joseph

What about performance, disk footprint and features lost? There have been improvements made in Windows 7 and 8 to improve CBS servicing performance, disk footprint and address limitations but it remains an order of magnitude slower and more disk bloating than update.exe. IT admins will never ever get the speed of update.exe. Installing hundreds of updates via a chained script takes few minutes on XP vs several hours on NT6. Older NT6 systems (e.g. Vista, Windows Server 2008) aren't even serviced in a timely manner any more with updated service pack integrated media produced. CBS servicing performance is a nightmare for IT admins.

Nothing wrong with Paint, I use it all the time too.  Can you post your CBS folder somewhere I can get to?  I'd like to see what type of corruption you're getting.  Was paint working before you moved to 8.1 or was it a problem there as well?

@Drew;

1.  Markers are generated based on internal CBS scenarios ,basically think of events setting a dirty bit that exists where we know to look

2.  You could run the command after a master image is created, yes

3.  WIM can be specified in group policy or in the command using /Source:WIM:<WIM>

4.  Conceivable I guess, hard to do though 🙂

–Joseph

@Ian;

Depending on the file, you might also be able to recover them by mounting the install.wim and pulling them from there (or another system)

DISM logs aren't helpful for this, they only show problems with DISM.  The CBS.log, referred to above is where you'd need to look for the problem.  The exit code you have basically says it cannot get to a source.  Sources can be local or Windows Update

Bizarre.  I still see the same invalid argument showing up in the logs.  Command is being run from an administrator command prompt and not via PowerShell, correct?  Also, is this an OEM image or an install from media (MSDN/TechNet/retail)?

CBS

2013-08-06 16:28:19, Info                  CBS    Exec: Processing complete, session(Corruption Repairing): 30315243_3353157679 [HRESULT = 0x80070057 – E_INVALIDARG]

2013-08-06 16:28:19, Error                 CBS    Session: 30315243_3353157679 failed to perform store corruption detect and repair operation. [HRESULT = 0x80070057 – E_INVALIDARG]

DISM

2013-08-06 16:28:19, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5536 TID=7412 Failed to restore the image health. – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ProcessCmdLine_CleanupImage(hr:0x80070057)

2013-08-06 16:28:19, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5536 TID=7412 Failed while processing command cleanup-image. – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x80070057)

2013-08-06 16:28:19, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5536 TID=7412 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%logsCBScbs.log – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine

2013-08-06 16:28:19, Error                 DISM   DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=80070057

SkyDrive is usually a good way to do it, you can also email them to me.

LCT,

I'll look over them I just need a link to the SkyDrive share.

joscon,

I am trying to enable/install .NET Framework 3.5.  I am running windows 8 pro and have been running into this problem since day 1 of the OS however this is the first time I haven’t been able to work around it with different software.  When I am prompted
    by the new program to install 3.5, I try to install through that, I get the 0x80073712 error.  I have also tried to install from enabling the feature within the control panel.  I have tried to install through the elevated command prompt with the files from
    when I originally downloaded the OS from microsoft.  I have tried running the /scanhealth & /restorehealth commands and it has failed to fix the corruption.  I have no language packs installed. Below are my log files, I would really appreciate you taking a
    look at them.  Thank you!

docs.google.com/…/edit

docs.google.com/…/edit

Vicky

@sd;  I looked over the log, I don't see anything glaring that stands out at  me which I can point to. Based on the problem description I think this is probably coming from the registry.  You could enable verbose CBS logging and retry the operation to see if we log the key we're looking to.  I see some of the .Net/VS components in the log coming up and I think that might be part of the problem but I'm not 100% sure.  Just a guess.

Sure thing Susan 🙂

yes of course I was in admin command prompt. I did CHKDSK and no bad sector detected

ok thanks!

Vicky,

I haven't forgotten about you, your logs just look 'odd' to me.  Still working on it.

Nope, you just need to open it via notepad at an elevated command prompt.

Thanks Eric.  You mentioned earlier you were running both of these in safe mode.  Does the system not boot into normal mode?

Not necessarilly, what kind of problem are you having?

Are you in an admin command prompt?  That's an odd error.

I would consider running CHKDSK on the volume to see if you have bad sectors.

Yes, you can use the email blog owner to send me mail.  It's also the name I post with 🙂

This looks like registry corruption, you'd need to find the bad key for the update that's throwing this and delete it from the system and reattempt the installation.

What I mean is that your system sounds like its in pretty bad shape right now, so the command cant make anything worse than it already is.  Yes, run the command and let me know the results.

hi joscon,

was brought here to help me repair my MSpaint.exe (I know, lame, but I personally use this a lot) because I keep on getting "Windows cannot verify digital signature". I check CBS log and it says MSPaint is corrupted. I did repair-windowsimage -online -restorehealth. it was completed but still couldn't run mspaint. by the wa this is windows 8.1 on surface RT. I've been using mspaint on my surface for a week after applying 8.1 but then the other day this started happening. Any ideas? Thanks in advance 😀

I deleted those (registry editing was a little painful due to TrustedInstaller permissions) but sure enough, the installer worked.

Thanks for the pointers.

1 question. Can we ignore some files? I've customized several MMC snapins (.msc) and now sfc detects them as corrupt, but that is ok.

Glad the retail WIM worked, its unfortunate we don't have that payload on WU

Really good stuff. This makes CheckSUR look crude by comparison.

"/CheckHealth: This checks to see if a component corruption marker is already present in the registry."

How do the markers get made in the first place?

"/ScanHealth: This checks for component store corruption and records that corruption to the C:WindowsLogsCBSCBS.log but no corruption is fixed using this switch."

If a master image is being created, would it be considered best-practice to run this command after Setup and other servicing procedures had been completed?

"4. Windows Update or a network available WIM are valid recovery sources…"

How can a WIM be configured as a recovery source?

"5. If you decide to block Windows Update and use a local source WIM, the WIM will only be able to recover payloads present in that WIM.  This means that you’ll need to update your WIM files accordingly to match the patch level of your environment or you wont successfully recover."

Is it conceivable that the WU client could be made to convert update downloads into .MSU files, that could then be used to service a mounted image?

@Andre.Ziegler – "I doubt that we ever get a Sp2 for Win7. This will be the way for MSFT to force users to upgrade to Win8."

If you'd said 'SP3 for Vista', you would have been more credible. Anyway, we all know there has been a lot of for and against argument re Windows 8. However, the other side of "MSFT should backport technology X" arguments is that everyone who is happy to run Win8 (or later), or who runs it regardless of personal opinion, is "forced" to pay extra so that MSFT can fund the updating of older OS releases. How about we do it like this; Make all future service packs, minor version releases instead, charge customers who want the upgrades, and then use the revenue to cross-subsidize the current OS release. That sounds fair to me!

Can you post your CBS and DISM logs somewhere for me?

Still errors out. I copied the command line output after typing the command in.

C:>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 6.2.9200.16384

Image Version: 6.2.9200.16384

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 87

An error occurred while processing the command.

Ensure that the command-line arguments are valid. For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:WindowsLogsDISMdism.log

I have had several issues with Windows update that SFC and DISM doesn’t seem to correct.  I am running Windows Server 2012 Essentials.  There are four pending updates that won’t install either individually or together.

I have tried "sfc /scannow" as administrator and in safe mode with networking followed by DISM.  SFC fails at about 23% saying it cannot complete the requested action.

The /scanhealth and /restorehealth switches for DISM throws code 87 errors after the progress reaches 80%.  However /checkhealth switch says there are repairable errors, but I can’t seem to get it to repair them.

The pending updates have the following errors

Error 80070057 on KB2779368

Error 80073712 on KB2756872

Error 80246002 on KB2779768

Error 8007000D on KB2824160

I already tried reinstalling Windows by deleting the partition then starting over.  Unfortunately the errors on Windows Update return after the first or second batch of updates.

Here are the logs for DISM and CBS, hopefully it helps someone figure out what is going on in there.

CBS –
    dl.dropboxusercontent.com/…/CBS.zip

DISM –
    dl.dropboxusercontent.com/…/dism.zip

Thanks Rahul, and yes, those are correct

@Ankit

Sorry, just saw your question. The error number is listed in my comment, and I didn't have boot problems, as the update just wouldn't install.

@joscon

I just stopped by to say that I never thought I'd need this feature that soon. The WU error 80073712 prevented KB2756872 from installing on my Windows 8 laptop. A single command did the trick, and I patted myself on the back for reading your blog 😉

Thanks for outlining the feature in your blog entries and the white paper.

Vadim

Wow!!! This looked really helpful. And then I was let down =(

I was just sitting in safe-mode looking at the corrupt manifests and remembering how much manual work was required to fix this the previous time (calculate md5 hashes of the WinSxS dir on a healthy system, check hashes on a client system, for each corrupt file or manifest: take ownership and use a hex editor to replace the corrupted file content in place, preserving hardlinks).

I was just ranting that MS could have done something to mitigate the corruption (like torrent hash check and redownload or even PAR (the checksum algorithm which can very effectively fix a corruption – just a small 2Mb checksum file can fix up to 1Mb of corrupted data ANYWHERE in 100000 Gb of files) )

Desperately I've decided to check web one more time searching for ""windows 8" manifest corrupted" and found your post.

Well, it didn't work well.

The tool managed to successfully detect corruption and I was super happy.

But then I tried to repair the store and it couldn't.

Looks like it cannot repair the system from safe-mode. At least not by default:

2013-03-11 10:50:47, Info                  CBS    Failed to get services collection [HRESULT = 0x8007043c – ERROR_NOT_SAFEBOOT_SERVICE]

2013-03-11 10:50:47, Info                  CBS    Failed to get windows update server configuration. [HRESULT = 0x8007043c – ERROR_NOT_SAFEBOOT_SERVICE]

2013-03-11 10:50:47, Info                  CBS    DWLD: Failed to begin WU search [HRESULT = 0x8007043c – ERROR_NOT_SAFEBOOT_SERVICE]

2013-03-11 10:50:47, Info                  CBS    Failed to search on Windows update [HRESULT = 0x800f0906 – CBS_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILURE]

2013-03-11 10:50:47, Info                  CBS    Repr: Failed to download payload files [HRESULT = 0x800f0906 – CBS_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILURE]

2013-03-11 10:50:47, Info                  CBS    Failed to collect payload and there is nothing to repair. [HRESULT = 0x800f0906 – CBS_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILURE]

2013-03-11 10:50:47, Info                  CBS    Failed to repair store. [HRESULT = 0x800f0906 – CBS_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILURE]

So, my client's system corruption cannot be fixed for now. That's sad.

It cant hurt 😉

If the SFC return is showing corruption, then yes, restorehealth should attempt to resolve that for you.  Most BSODs aren't going to be component store corruption related though its not impossible to have it be a root cause.  What was the last thing you did before you started getting the BSODs?  Any recent driver updates?

i have some BSOD issue with W8. than when system say to wait for collect error log and automatic rebooting it hang and freeze. i need to hard reset and restart. also when i do sfc /scannow the results are some component corrupted and no possible to repair.  command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth it can help to fix that?

thanks

Thanks Palash, fixed that

Whats the eMail address?

thanks.

@Drewfus

Vista is out of Mainstream Support, so there won't be a Sp3. But Win7 runs out of Mainstream support in Jan 2015 and an Sp extends the Mainstream support by 1 year. SO MS must release the Sp2 before Jav 2014 and an Sp requires some testings. So if we don't see any activity in 2013 this means Win7 never gets a Sp2. Look at the trend of released ServicePacks and you see that every new WIndows gets less Service Packs.

@xpclient

You already noticed that my UpdateInstaller is fast 😉 So it is no generic issue, you only have to install the Updates correctly. If you install them with WUSA, include "net stop wuauserv" to stop WU service. This speeds up the installation. I've already reported it, but I doubt that the ignorant Developers even looked at it.

OK, scratch that, found the CBS log.  points to a side by side store corruption: STATUS_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT

But no idea how to fix that?!

How can I best get these log files to you?

Are you in an elevated command prompt when you run the command?

Sounds like your store is simply too corrupt to fix.  Can you put your logs somewhere I can view them?

mail to you from blog

The logs are located in:

C:WindowsLogs (CBS and DISM each have their own folders)

Can you put the CBS and DISM logs somewhere for me please?

Glad that worked out for you Poul, glad to help.

nice to see that my request to download corrupted files is implemented in Win8. Sadly the "User Unexperience Team" ruined Windows 8 completely 🙁

@xpclient

Thanks, this was helpful.  Do you have a lot of language packs installed by chance?  It seems like we're throwing an invalid package error and its occurring right after the Bangladesh langpack.  If you have packs installed and don't need them, try removing a few of them (starting with Bangladesh) and let me know the results.

(p) CBS MUM Missing Package_316_for_KB2756872~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.2.1.0

(p) CBS Catalog Corrupt Package_6_for_KB2777166~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.2.1.0

(p) CSI Manifest Corrupt amd64_microsoft-windows-store-runtime_31bf3856ad364e35_6.2.9200.16453_none_49cd9f1bc90a16fa

Repair failed: Missing replacement manifest.

(p) CSI Payload Corrupt amd64_netfx4-system.servicemodel_b03f5f7f11d50a3a_4.0.9200.16467_none_3839dc30d58515b2System.ServiceModel.dll

Repair failed: Missing replacement payload.

(p) CSI Payload Corrupt x86_microsoft-windows-networking_31bf3856ad364e35_6.2.9200.16420_none_1ee7feaa4bbb6ce8Windows.Networking.dll

Repair failed: Missing replacement payload.

(p) CSI Payload Corrupt wow64_microsoft-windows-ieframe_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.9200.20521_none_f7602c213a8f156eieframe.dll

Repair failed: Missing replacement payload.

(p) CSI Payload Corrupt wow64_adobe-flash-for-windows_31bf3856ad364e35_6.2.9200.20644_none_8f73160440b1b60fFlash.ocx

Repair failed: Missing replacement payload.

(p) CSI Payload Corrupt amd64_microsoft-windows-r..s-regkeys-component_31bf3856ad364e35_6.2.9200.16384_none_8857d20891936288rdpcorets.dll

Repair failed: Missing replacement payload.

(p) CSI Payload Corrupt amd64_netfx4-ngen_exe_b03f5f7f11d50a3a_4.0.9200.16384_none_b539fdc4ffb3c882ngen.exe

Repair failed: Missing replacement payload.

(p) CSI Payload Corrupt amd64_netfx4-mscorrc_dll_b03f5f7f11d50a3a_4.0.9200.16384_none_e65ebcfc02b37ac1mscorrc.dll

Repair failed: Missing replacement payload.

(p) CSI Payload Corrupt amd64_regasm_b03f5f7f11d50a3a_4.0.9200.16384_none_74564a1e2bebf5f2RegAsm.exe

Repair failed: Missing replacement payload.

(p) CSI Payload Corrupt amd64_netfx4-perfcounter_dll_b03f5f7f11d50a3a_4.0.9200.16384_none_ae8b5f244abff0b7PerfCounter.dll

Repair failed: Missing replacement payload.

That's a source issue, use the /LimitAccess switch with the command to avoid using a WSUS server.  Additionally, if you're pointing to a media source, make sure its been updated

Certanly, what is the best way of me getting them to you?

I know where the DISM log is but where do I find the CBS log?

P.S. I have searched around for this problem, and so far the only solution any forum comes up with is "Format C:"!  All the usual (SFC/scannow, Win Update reset, even In-Place upgrade/Refresh) are reported to not work for one reason or another…

Hello Joseph, sorry to hassle but do you have an eMail address for me to send these logs to as I am keen to resolve this (without resorting to FORMAT C:!)

Thanks.

I also wonder about the following lines. Does this mean that the important component – msvcp90.dll cannot be repaired by this system?

2013-03-11 10:40:27, Info                  CSI    0000000b Hashes for file member SystemRootWinSxSamd64_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_99b61f5e8371c1d4msvcp90.dll do not match actual file [l:22{11}]"msvcp90.dll" :

Found: {l:20 b:BlWrqD6Ty9bITEZqt7WTDUqOwxI=} Expected: {l:20 b:wWR8irJaK8KK03naQCgIxxCgOKw=}

Found: {l:20 b:rJL39911tlIpMQy3z68NNbI1SKI=} Expected: {l:20 b:aF4dNBhwwplOmPhrRVfVKH/0zvM=}

2013-03-11 10:40:44, Info                  CSI    0000000c@2013/3/11:06:40:44.335 Corruption detection complete. numCorruptions = 11 (0x000000000000000b), Disp = 1.

2013-03-11 10:40:44, Info                  CBS    Repr: CSI meta data corruption found, will commit repair transaction if repair is asked.

2013-03-11 10:40:44, Info                  CSI    0000000d@2013/3/11:06:40:44.475 CSI Transaction @0xbf49058a0 initialized for deployment engine {d16d444c-56d8-11d5-882d-0080c847b195} with flags 00000002 and client id [26]"TI5.30285346_2346790280:1/"

2013-03-11 10:40:44, Info                  CSI    0000000e@2013/3/11:06:40:44.475 CSI Transaction @0xbf49058a0 destroyed

2013-03-11 10:40:44, Info                  CBS    Repr: Non CBS owner string:  is found on component: amd64_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_99b61f5e8371c1d4 [HRESULT = 0x800f090c – CBS_E_COMPONENT_NOT_INSTALLED_BY_CBS]

2013-03-11 10:40:44, Info                  CBS    Not able to get CBS component onwers for component amd64_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_99b61f5e8371c1d4 [HRESULT = 0x800f090c – CBS_E_COMPONENT_NOT_INSTALLED_BY_CBS]

2013-03-11 10:40:44, Info                  CBS    Repr: Non CBS installed component found when attempting to find owner for corrupt file: msvcp90.dll, ignore it since it is not repairble

87 is incorrect parameter, I would make sure you didnt copy and paste the command from somewhere that might have an extra space or something.

This means that the payload for the print driver in question cant be found on the repair location. Do you have a WSUS server on your intranet by chance?  It might be getting re-routed to there and catching this command.  You can add the /LimitAccess switch to the /RestoreHealth command to work around that.  Try that and let me know if that works.  Otherwise, you might need to manually copy the payload from another working system.

Thanks Rafa, yes, the process for in-place upgrade hasn't changed from prior releases so if you had horribly bad corruption and you needed to recover via in-place, those should all still work.

In the future, its best to put your logs on a SkyDrive or DropBox that are accessible because these comments lose context.  Based on the few examples of this type of corruption that I've seen, this is irrecoverable.  If you can post your CBS and DISM logs to an easily accessible location, I'll take a look.

As for bloat, software as an industry is just larger now because resources aren't at the premium they were in the WinXP days. If you look over the majority of products out there, Microsoft's or otherwise they're larger than they used to be.

I don't disagree with the disk footprint arguments and we as a company have heard that feedback and started making changes to help admins address some of those concerns in Win8/2012 as you noted.

Lastly, chained updates were one of the top causes for corruption in WinXP, we don't have those same types of issues in Vista++.  Is the new system perfect, again, no its not, but I still like its resiliency better than XPs.

Well I'd have to see logs and everything to determine if anything can be done.  You said above that you've tried a clean install and that didn't work.  That could mean the ISO is bad, could mean bad RAM, could really be anything.

Thanks.  Unfortunately, this isn't good news.  The CanonicalData key is missing.

2013-08-05 11:08:32, Error                 CSI    00000004@2013/8/5:09:08:32.471 (F) basewcpcomponentstorestorelayout.cpp(3617): Error STATUS_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT originated in function ComponentStore::CRawStoreLayout::OpenCanonicalDataKey expression: (null)

[gle=0x80004005]

Unfortunately, its a small, but unrecreatable subset of data.  If this is missing, servicing is broken on the machine and the system will need to be restored from backup or PBR.

Send me your DISM and CBS logs and I'll take a look

Thank you.

Any hints as to where to search in the registry… the log appears to be with respect to Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient-UI.

I can see a key with path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionComponent Based ServicingComponentDetectamd64_microsoft-windows-windowsupdateclient-ui_31bf3856ad364e35_0.0.0.0_none_ac8811c44a25694e

There are a couple of entries there like this:

REG_SZ Package_122_for_KB2756872~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.2.1.0.2756872-524_neutral_GDR 7.8.9200.20521@2

REG_SZ Package_122_for_KB2756872~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.2.1.0.2756872-523_neutral_LDR 7.8.9200.16420@2

Are those what you are suggesting to delete?

Thanks!

I've said this before but I will say it again.  XP's servicing model generated more casework for me personally then Vista and Win7 combined.  There is no perfect software design for doing these things, trade-offs have to be made for either system and I prefer the system we have now to the one we had before.  In XP servicing corruption was almost always a rebuild for a system which was very painful for customers and environments, the fact that we have ways to fix CBS corruption is in and of itself a step in the right direction.

datafilehost.com is ok?

where? your mail?

I ran the command prompt as administrator then ran it from there, not from the runas command or Powershell.

It is installed from the DVD burned from an ISO file that Microsoft provided, no OEM installation.

@joscon, I *am* sticking to my point. CBS is so inferior to XP's servicing that whatever improvements are made should be backported to Vista and 7 and still even then it will remain inferior to XP's fast and complexity free servicing. CBS is slow and time wasting because of pathetic speed of servicing, disk bloating because of the way it's designed, unreliable as it causes more unbootable and stuck systems on "failure configuring updates", inflexible because of inability to remove superseded patches and directly slipstream service packs. When I talked to Jim Allchin via Facebook, he agreed the whole CBS thing was half-baked and should be improved. Never did Windows take days to service and eons of wasted SSD/flash memory disk space before NT6's CBS was introduced.

@moconnell1

6.2.9200.16384 means RTM files, so point to a clean WIM to get the data:

blogs.technet.com/…/features-on-demand-part-2.aspx

I need both complete logs 🙂

Thanks for the replies

I was hoping to download these fixes from Windows Update but as Andre pointed out these were RTM versions, so I did manage to get them to repair by pointing it at a source install.wim using: source:wim:PATHtoWim:Index

(You get the Index via another command:

DSIM /Get-WimInfo /Wimfile:PATHtoWim )

I think I used the wrong index but presumably the source in this care is the same.

I also used /LimitAccess but maybe I didn't need it.

It does seem a shame that if you get corrupted components that are RTM you can't use Windows update to restore them, it really would be much easier! Esp for home users with this issue, but I guess it would be a possible to get things you haven't paid for or something.

Anyway, many thanks for a great tool!

Error: 14091

Identity includes an attribute name out of valid range 😉

This is fantastic and therefore it should be ported to Windows 7 in SP2 because no one wants Windows 8.

Thanks Josco, great post us always.

One question… What about in-place upgrade? Is it still the opcion when it's no possible to recover the corruption?

If thats occurring on a clean install, it shoulds like your media might be corrupted.  0x80073712 is an error that means ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT so something is definitely wrong.

108. susan says:

No question – just a thank you for this post.

109. rahul says:

Thanks for the post… amazing info and great work on integrating with the OS

Adding the powershell cmdlets:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -CheckHealth

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -ScanHealth

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

You may confirm if these are right 🙂

110. What do you mean by "corruption"? says:

What do you mean by "corruption" – missing or altered files?  Does AutoChk and ChkDsk feed back info on what it "fixes" destructively (e.g. truncations, cross-links, unreadable clusters)?

111. Matt says:

joscon, Could you be a little more detailed as to how we can run this tool.

112. Ian says:

@joscon, thank you for the post! Your blog and some of the UTGs written by you are some of the best articles I've read, definitely proving extremely useful as my team fixes issues with the component store on Vista+ machines.

Question for you – I know dism is generally a cross-OS tool, in that it comes in the Windows AIK / ADK which can be installed on Vista / Win7 / Win8. Do you know if these health check features can be used on older Vista / Win7 operating systems?

If not, what about the magical ability to source missing files? Can that be leveraged for missing files on those platforms?

Either way, thanks again for another awesome post!!

113. Ian says:

@joscon fair enough, thanks! I do recall that post of yours and have been using that trick. For what it's worth, where I usually get stuck is finding copies of the missing files. Most I can grab from KBs via some bing searching on the file names, but there are those where that doesn't work (usually for updates that go through numerous revisions).

Keep up the awesome work! 😀

114. Ian says:

I'll try that, thanks!

115. Ankit Oberoi says:

Vadim,

What's the error message did you see after installing kb2756872. Did the machine ran into no-boot scenario?

Thanks,

Ankit

116. Leerb says:

Does this work for Win 7?  My update problems w/Win 7 are not solved w/ Readiness tools or upgrade approaches.

117. Leerb says:

Thx for the prompt reply.  I have tried many approaches to fix "the component store is corrupt" all to no avail. ;( .  I guess I'm stuck.

118. Leerb says:

I have Win 7 Home Premium and my update function is not working. Error code 0x80073712 keeps appearing. I have tried a clean (reinstall) w/ an iso DVD (downloaded from MS)  and it works up to the last install function (transfer features and programs). Running sfc, Checkdsk, and the "hot fix for the error -( the Readiness tool) does not help/work.  I have a 1 TB HD w/ 4 GB of Ram. A Win 7 readiness/compatibility   scan shows that the PC can operate in Win 7.

119. Leerb says:

Sorry have to leave now- Parole officer is calling – lol.

120. Leerb says:

I agree some thing is wrong – the question is what is wrong and what to so about it.  Not being sarcastic, but just stating the obvious.  How to deal w/ this w/o doing a total wipe out of the the system is the question.

121. Hmza says:

@vadim

Having the same problem..Would you guide me wat u did step by step?

@Joscon

I entered this " DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" at cmd as admin but got error 87..Any ideas?

122. Hmza says:

Well after getting through the parametric error I ran the commands /Check and /Scan perfectly but ran into the error : 0x800f081f while executing the /Restore saying that "Either the repair source was not found or the component store cannot be repaied"..Which brings me again to the phase of..any ideas?

123. Hmza says:

Please review my DISM log and point the problem after the /Limitaccess switch plus source that error tells is the Kb2756872 update which it cannot repair

Total Operation Time: 419 seconds.

– CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1752 TID=64  – CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1752 TID=64 <—– Ending corruption detect/repair info —–> – CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1752 TID=64 Loaded servicing stack for online use only. – CDISMPackageManager::RefreshInstanceAndLock

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1752 TID=64 Failed while processing command cleanup-image. – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x800f081f)

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1752 TID=64 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%logsCBScbs.log – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Error                 DISM   DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=800F081F

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1752 TID=64 Found the OSServices.  Waiting to finalize it until all other providers are unloaded. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnDisconnect

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1752 TID=64 Found the PE Provider.  Waiting to finalize it until all other providers are unloaded. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnDisconnect

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1752 TID=64 Finalizing the servicing provider(DISM Package Manager) – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1752 TID=64 Finalizing CBS core. – CDISMPackageManager::Finalize

124. Hmza says:

Continued….

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1752 TID=64 Disconnecting Provider: DISM Package Manager – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1752 TID=64 Finalizing the servicing provider(MsiManager) – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1752 TID=64 Releasing the local reference to DISMLogger.  Stop logging. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Image session has been closed. Reboot required=no.

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE:

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: <—– Ending Dism.exe session —–>

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE:

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=2708 TID=1712 Found the OSServices.  Waiting to finalize it until all other providers are unloaded. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnDisconnect

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=2708 TID=1712 Disconnecting Provider: FolderManager – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

2012-11-24 23:11:46, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=2708 TID=1712 Releasing the local reference to DISMLogger.  Stop logging. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

125. Hmza says:

Entering CBS log gives me : access denied message even running the log in the admin cmd gives the same.Is there something wrong with the log?

126. mike says:

Hey Joscon

I do have some problem here as well.  After doing a /restorehealth it says its corrupted or unrepairable.  How can I fix this? I cannot see any error within cbs or dism log…

All that related to the reinstallation of the .net 3.5

Even tried to get it from CD as with WU….

Thx!!

127. mike says:

Sorry for the delay.

DISM http://pastebin.com/g4bYfMA4

CBS http://pastebin.com/25G0FUrq

I cannot find what happened.

Thanks

128. mike says:

Thanks for the update, its pretty much what I think too.

However its my dad's comp and it has been this way for a long time, he said.  So figures…

That said, will a "reinstall" over it would fix it? Or a clean install? Or the feature that "reset" windows in the settings ?

No big deal either way, but I'll take the easiest, of course.

Thanks a bunch.

129. mike says:

Also, no, there is no disk corruption, everything is clean.  Its an upgrade from Win7 to Win8 and I expect it to have gone wrong somewhere…  Its a new comp, less than a year out of the check disk everything was fine.

130. mike says:

Joscon,

Well thanks for the input, I really appreciate.  I will then try to re-install over it… in order to keep as much as possible of his current setup, otherwise will be the whole thing.

Thanks again!

131. mike says:

Finally he went back with Windows 7… we'll never know, but its fixed for sure.

132. Jonas Berggren says:

PS C:UsersAdministrator> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 6.2.9200.16384

Image Version: 6.2.9200.16384

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 582

An illegal character was encountered. For a multi-byte character set this includes a lead byte without a succeeding trai

l byte. For the Unicode character set this includes the characters 0xFFFF and 0xFFFE.

The DISM log file can be found at C:WindowsLogsDISMdism.log

PS C:UsersAdministrator>

Any ideas?

133. Jonas Berggren says:

send me a mail at jonas @ berg1 . se so can i send them to you =)

134. Palash Acharyya says:

Probably no one noticed it, but it is KB947821 (there is an extra 1 mentioned which is incorrect)

135. glen says:

I try running dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

and receive "Error 5: Access Denied"

Below are error entries from the log

2013-06-14 13:50:07, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4472 TID=2164 Failed finalizing changes. – CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x80070005)

2013-06-14 13:50:07, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4472 TID=2164 Failed processing package changes with session option CbsSessionOptionDetectStoreCorruption – CDISMPackageManager::ScanHealth(hr:0x80070005)

2013-06-14 13:50:07, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4472 TID=2164 Failed to restore the image health. – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ProcessCmdLine_CleanupImage(hr:0x80070005)

2013-06-14 13:50:07, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4472 TID=2164 Failed while processing command cleanup-image. – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x80070005)

2013-06-14 13:50:07, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4472 TID=2164 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%logsCBScbs.log – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine

2013-06-14 13:50:07, Error                 DISM   DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=80070005

Any ideas?

136. Thermite says:

I'm having the same error:

C:Windowssystem32>dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restoreheal

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 6.2.9200.16384

Image Version: 6.2.9200.16384

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 14098

The component store has been corrupted.

The DISM log file can be found at C:WindowsLogsDISMdism.log

And yes I'm running as administrator. My problems started IMMEDIATELY after windows 8 was installed. No matter what I do about 45% of the programs I try to install fail to install no matter what with errors. The hard drive is brand new out of the box and working perfectly that the OS is on. I ran CHKDSK and a few dozen other tools including SFC etc to try and repair this and no luck.

Most of the updates I try to download fail. .Net Framework / Framework updates fail to install. Anything requiring .net fails to install or has errors afterwords. I can't even install my antivirus program at this point. Windows 8 is looking pretty crappy since this is my second installation in 8 months. The first one crashed completely restarted the system and it forgot it had user profiles on it completely. It literally erased all the user state info in the OS. Amazing how bad Windows 8 is so far.

I don't and will not use cloud drive. Send me an FTP site or an email address and I will send you my logs. Here is a snap shot of a few of the failures in the logs:

2013-05-03 20:38:53, Warning               DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=2024 TID=3668 Failed to get the IDismObject Interface – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider(hr:0x80004002)

2013-05-03 20:38:53, Warning               DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=2024 TID=3668 Failed to Load the provider: C:WindowsTEMP77A51C94-2AFB-4345-A5DF-FC799DD611C0Wow64provider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x80004002)

2013-05-03 20:38:53, Warning               DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=2024 TID=3668 Failed to Load the provider: C:WindowsTEMP77A51C94-2AFB-4345-A5DF-FC799DD611C0EmbeddedProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)

2013-05-11 10:50:00, Warning               DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=50952 TID=50896 Failed to Load the provider: C:UsersUSERNAMEAppDataLocalTemp491EFCA8-8FB6-444E-9925-315F506A0AD3PEProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)

2013-05-11 10:50:00, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=50952 TID=50896 Failed to get and initialize the PE Provider.  Continuing by assuming that it is not a WinPE image. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

There are 85 failure errors in the log. This is just a few.

137. Thermite says:

Error: 14098

The component store has been corrupted.

The DISM log file can be found at C:WindowsLogsDISMdism.log

2013-04-19 22:28:52, Info                  DISM   API: PID=1700 TID=5712 Lookup in table by path failed for: DummyPath-2BA51B78-C7F7-4910-B99D-BB7345357CDC – CTransactionalImageTable::LookupImagePath

2013-04-19 22:28:53, Info                  DISM   API: PID=1700 TID=5712 Lookup in table by path failed for: DRIVE_C – CTransactionalImageTable::LookupImagePath

2013-04-19 22:28:54, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1700 TID=5696 Failed to get and initialize the PE Provider.  Continuing by assuming that it is not a WinPE image. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

2013-04-19 22:28:57, Warning               DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=3944 TID=5948 Failed to Load the provider: C:WindowsTEMP2707F248-282C-40D8-8594-FD0A5D1A45E7PEProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)

2013-04-19 22:28:57, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=3944 TID=5948 Failed to get and initialize the PE Provider.  Continuing by assuming that it is not a WinPE image. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

138. Thermite says:

Oops on re-paste on the first part.

139. And More says:

2013-05-11 10:50:00, Warning               DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=50952 TID=50896 Failed to get the IDismObject Interface – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider(hr:0x80004002)

2013-05-11 10:50:00, Warning               DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=50952 TID=50896 Failed to Load the provider: C:UsersUSERNAMEAppDataLocalTemp491EFCA8-8FB6-444E-9925-315F506A0AD3Wow64provider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x80004002)

2013-05-11 10:50:00, Warning               DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=50952 TID=50896 Failed to Load the provider: C:UsersUSERNAMEAppDataLocalTemp491EFCA8-8FB6-444E-9925-315F506A0AD3EmbeddedProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)

2013-05-11 10:50:00, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=50952 TID=50896 Provider has not previously been encountered.  Attempting to initialize the provider. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2013-05-11 10:50:30, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=50952 TID=50896 Failed finalizing changes. – CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x80073712)

2013-05-11 10:50:30, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=50952 TID=50896 Failed processing package changes with session option CbsSessionOptionDetectStoreCorruption – CDISMPackageManager::ScanHealth(hr:0x80073712)

2013-05-11 10:50:30, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=50952 TID=50896 Failed to restore the image health. – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ProcessCmdLine_CleanupImage(hr:0x80073712)

2013-05-11 10:50:30, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=50952 TID=50896 Failed while processing command cleanup-image. – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x80073712)

140. Thermite says:

Have enough yet?

2013-05-11 10:50:30, Error                 DISM   DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=80073712

2013-05-11 10:50:48, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=51068 TID=43828 Failed to get and initialize the PE Provider.  Continuing by assuming that it is not a WinPE image. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

2013-05-11 10:50:49, Warning               DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=50624 TID=50620 Failed to Load the provider: C:UsersUSERNAMEAppDataLocalTemp48145F21-678C-4890-A361-66EFE3F63552PEProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)

2013-05-11 10:50:49, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=50624 TID=50620 Failed to get and initialize the PE Provider.  Continuing by assuming that it is not a WinPE image. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

2013-05-11 10:50:49, Warning               DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=50624 TID=50620 Failed to get the IDismObject Interface – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider(hr:0x80004002)

2013-05-11 10:50:49, Warning               DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=50624 TID=50620 Failed to Load the provider: C:UsersUSERNAMEAppDataLocalTemp48145F21-678C-4890-A361-66EFE3F63552Wow64provider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x80004002)

2013-05-11 10:50:49, Warning               DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=50624 TID=50620 Failed to Load the provider: C:UsersUSERNAMEAppDataLocalTemp48145F21-678C-4890-A361-66EFE3F63552EmbeddedProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)

2013-05-11 10:51:01, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=50624 TID=50024 Failed finalizing changes. – CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x80073712)

2013-05-11 10:51:01, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=50624 TID=50024 Failed processing package changes with session option CbsSessionOptionRepairStoreCorruption – CDISMPackageManager::RestoreHealth(hr:0x80073712)

2013-05-11 10:51:01, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=50624 TID=50024 Failed to restore the image health. – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ProcessCmdLine_CleanupImage(hr:0x80073712)

2013-05-11 10:51:01, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=50624 TID=50024 Failed while processing command cleanup-image. – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x80073712)

2013-05-11 10:51:01, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=50624 TID=50024 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%logsCBScbs.log – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine

2013-05-11 10:51:01, Error                 DISM   DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=80073712

141. Thermite says:

Unrecoverable? Not too good sounding then. I figured as much. Think I'm going back to Windows 7 at least until 8.1 is released.

I'll see about Dropbox. I think Microsoft should REALLY analyze these logs since the problem occurred immediately after Windows 8 was installed. I literally went to download updates and install AV so that I could start building an image to snapshot my OS to a point in time and these errors occurred. I don't know what the catalyst was or is at this point.

142. Thermite says:

I'll run an SFC check and upload later.

143. Thermite says:

Cool… I'm getting this running sfc /scannow in elevated mode

C:Windowssystem32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

I'll try something else.

144. Thermite says:

All I get from SFC is this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]

(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:Windowssystem32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

C:Windowssystem32>

When I try to open cbs.log I get "Access Is Denied" …..

Sounds like Windows 8 messed up the permissions on all of my system files pretty bad…. is there any "universal reset" all of your system files without losing all of my installed applications / settings? The Windows Restore feature for Windows 8 will uninstall all of my programs from what I recollect….

This is very strange. Maybe I'll create a new profile and see what happens.

145. Thermite says:

I took ownership

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    TI: — Initializing Trusted Installer —

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    TI: Last boot time: 2013-06-17 13:42:45.915

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    TI: Anticipating that shutdown processing will be required.

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    Starting TrustedInstaller initialization.

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    Ending TrustedInstaller initialization.

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    Starting the TrustedInstaller main loop.

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    TrustedInstaller service starts successfully.

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    No startup processing required, TrustedInstaller service was not set as autostart

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    Startup processing thread terminated normally

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    Starting TiWorker initialization.

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    Ending TiWorker initialization.

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    Starting the TiWorker main loop.

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    TiWorker starts successfully.

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    TiWorker: Client requests SFP repair object.

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    Universal Time is: 2013-06-22 02:09:04.973

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    Loaded Servicing Stack v6.2.9200.16455 with Core: C:Windowswinsxsamd64_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.2.9200.16455_none_624a7aa150f57306cbscore.dll

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CSI    00000001@2013/6/22:02:09:04.974 WcpInitialize (wcp.dll

146. Thermite says:

version 0.0.0.6) called (stack @0x7f89ca45281 @0x7f8a43a91b6 @0x7f8a436425c @0x7f6deaacfa7 @0x7f6deaad9d3 @0x7f8b2812005)

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CSI    00000002@2013/6/22:02:09:04.982 WcpInitialize (wcp.dll version 0.0.0.6) called (stack @0x7f89ca45281 @0x7f8a4403a0c @0x7f8a43c6e39 @0x7f8a43643cf @0x7f6deaacfa7 @0x7f6deaad9d3)

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    SQM: Initializing online with Windows opt-in: False

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    SQM: Cleaning up report files older than 10 days.

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    SQM: Requesting upload of all unsent reports.

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    SQM: Failed to start upload with file pattern: C:Windowsservicingsqm*_std.sqm, flags: 0x2 [HRESULT = 0x80004005 – E_FAIL]

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    SQM: Failed to start standard sample upload. [HRESULT = 0x80004005 – E_FAIL]

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    SQM: Queued 0 file(s) for upload with pattern: C:Windowsservicingsqm*_all.sqm, flags: 0x6

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    SQM: Warning: Failed to upload all unsent reports. [HRESULT = 0x80004005 – E_FAIL]

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CBS    NonStart: Set pending store consistency check.

2013-06-21 19:09:04, Info                  CSI    00000003@2013/6/22:02:09:04.997 WcpInitialize (wcp.dll version 0.0.0.6) called (stack @0x7f89ca45281 @0x7f8a5d982c0 @0x7f8a5d983ee @0x7f6deaac725 @0x7f6deaad9ea @0x7f8b2812005)

2013-06-21 19:09:05, Info                  CSI    00000004@2013/6/22:02:09:05.537 PopulateComponentFamiliesKey – Begin

2013-06-21 19:09:06, Error                 CSI    00000005 (F) Invalid attribute name found: [l:14{7}]"Versioj"[gle=0x80004005]

147. More says:

2013-06-21 19:09:06, Error                 CSI    00000006@2013/6/22:02:09:06.049 (F) basewcpidentityid_baseidentity.cpp(1267): Error STATUS_SXS_INVALID_IDENTITY_ATTRIBUTE_NAME originated in function Windows::Identity::Rtl::Implementation::CRtlIdentityBase::CRtlIdentityBase_Initialize expression: pBAI != 0

[gle=0x80004005]

2013-06-21 19:09:06, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCBS.log to WER report.

2013-06-21 19:09:06, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCbsPersist_20130622020904.log to WER report.

2013-06-21 19:09:06, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCbsPersist_20130621140232.log to WER report.

2013-06-21 19:09:06, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCbsPersist_20130621052317.log to WER report.

2013-06-21 19:09:06, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCbsPersist_20130620175518.log to WER report.

2013-06-21 19:09:06, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCbsPersist_20130620051526.cab to WER report.

2013-06-21 19:09:06, Info                  CBS    Could not get active session for current session file logging [HRESULT = 0x80004003 – E_POINTER]

2013-06-21 19:09:06, Info                  CBS    Not able to add pending.xml to Windows Error Report. [HRESULT = 0x80070002 – ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]

2013-06-21 19:09:06, Info                  CBS    Not able to add pending.xml.bad to Windows Error Report. [HRESULT = 0x80070002 – ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]

2013-06-21 19:09:06, Error                 CSI    00000007 (F) STATUS_SXS_INVALID_IDENTITY_ATTRIBUTE_NAME #263703# from Windows::Identity::Rtl::Implementation::CRtlIdentityAuthority::IRtlIdentityAuthority_Parse(flags = 0, string = [l:346{173}]"Microsoft-Windows-IIS-CachingBaseBinaries.Resources, Culture=en-US, Versioj=6.2.9200.16384, PublicJeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, ProcessorArchitecture=amd64, versionScope=NonSxS")

[gle=0xd0150017]

148. More says:

2013-06-21 19:09:06, Error                 CSI    00000008@2013/6/22:02:09:06.503 (F) basewcpcomponentstoreversionedindex.cpp(1021): Error STATUS_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT originated in function ComponentStore::CRawStoreLayout::PopulateComponentFamiliesKey expression: (null)

[gle=0x80004005]

149. More says:

[HRESULT = 0x80070002 – ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]

2013-06-21 19:09:06, Info                  CBS    Failed to get CSI system store [HRESULT = 0x80073712 – ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT]

2013-06-21 19:09:06, Info                  CBS    CSI store consistency check fails. [HRESULT = 0x80073712 – ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT]

2013-06-21 19:09:06, Info                  CBS    Failed to load component store [HRESULT = 0x80073712 – ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT]

2013-06-21 19:09:06, Info                  CSI    00000009@2013/6/22:02:09:06.732 PopulateComponentFamiliesKey – Begin

2013-06-21 19:09:07, Error                 CSI    0000000a (F) Invalid attribute name found: [l:14{7}]"Versioj"[gle=0x80004005]

2013-06-21 19:09:07, Error                 CSI    0000000b@2013/6/22:02:09:07.239 (F) basewcpidentityid_baseidentity.cpp(1267): Error STATUS_SXS_INVALID_IDENTITY_ATTRIBUTE_NAME originated in function Windows::Identity::Rtl::Implementation::CRtlIdentityBase::CRtlIdentityBase_Initialize expression: pBAI != 0

[gle=0x80004005]

2013-06-21 19:09:07, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCBS.log to WER report.

2013-06-21 19:09:07, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCbsPersist_20130622020904.log to WER report.

2013-06-21 19:09:07, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCbsPersist_20130621140232.log to WER report.

2013-06-21 19:09:07, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCbsPersist_20130621052317.log to WER report.

2013-06-21 19:09:07, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCbsPersist_20130620175518.log to WER report.

2013-06-21 19:09:07, Info                  CBS    Added

C:WindowsLogsCBSCbsPersist_20130620051526.cab to WER report.

2013-06-21 19:09:07, Info                  CBS    Could not get active session for current session file logging [HRESULT = 0x80004003 – E_POINTER]

2013-06-21 19:09:07, Info                  CBS    Not able to add pending.xml to Windows Error Report. [HRESULT = 0x80070002 – ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]

2013-06-21 19:09:07, Info                  CBS    Not able to add pending.xml.bad to Windows Error Report. [HRESULT = 0x80070002 – ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]

2013-06-21 19:09:07, Error                 CSI    0000000c (F) STATUS_SXS_INVALID_IDENTITY_ATTRIBUTE_NAME #527452# from Windows::Identity::Rtl::Implementation::CRtlIdentityAuthority::IRtlIdentityAuthority_Parse(flags = 0, string = [l:346{173}]"Microsoft-Windows-IIS-CachingBaseBinaries.Resources, Culture=en-US, Versioj=6.2.9200.16384, PublicJeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, ProcessorArchitecture=amd64, versionScope=NonSxS")

[gle=0xd0150017]

2013-06-21 19:09:07, Error                 CSI    0000000d@2013/6/22:02:09:07.264 (F) basewcpcomponentstoreversionedindex.cpp(1021): Error STATUS_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT originated in function ComponentStore::CRawStoreLayout::PopulateComponentFamiliesKey expression: (null)

[gle=0x80004005]

150. Last says:

2013-06-21 19:09:07, Info                  CBS    Added C:WindowsLogsCBSCbsPersist_20130620051526.cab to WER report.

2013-06-21 19:11:08, Info                  CBS    Idle processing thread terminated normally

2013-06-21 19:11:08, Info                  CBS    Trusted Installer successfully registered to be restarted for pre-shutdown

2013-06-21 19:11:08, Info                  CBS    Trusted Installer is shutting down because: SHUTDOWN_REASON_AUTOSTOP

2013-06-21 19:11:08, Info                  CBS    TiWorker signaled for shutdown, going to exit.

2013-06-21 19:11:08, Info                  CBS    Ending the TiWorker main loop.

2013-06-21 19:11:08, Info                  CBS    Starting TiWorker finalization.

2013-06-21 19:11:08, Info                  CBS    Ending the TrustedInstaller main loop.

2013-06-21 19:11:08, Info                  CBS    Starting TrustedInstaller finalization.

2013-06-21 19:11:08, Info                  CBS    Ending TrustedInstaller finalization.

2013-06-21 19:11:08, Info                  CBS    Ending TiWorker finalization.

151. thermite says:

Looks like WINSXS is messed up. Microsoft needs to build something to reset the permissions back to default for WINSXS maybe? Sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem.

152. thermite says:

I took ownership and granted full permissions.

153. thermite says:

From an actual ISO downloaded from the MS technet website off of my technet subscription. Now the image was probably burned using daemon tools lite / whatever junk iso burner it is that it downloads for free. But why that would effect the original ISO would be new news to me.

154. thermite says:

As a resolution to this I'm going back to Windows 7, So long Win 8! I think 8+ months of testing / breaking and total instability with this OS makes it enough to determine that it isn't a viable solution for clients or myself. Maybe 8.1 will fix some problems but I doubt stability. It could just be hardware or something else who knows. I don't even care about navigation issues people claim about this OS (I have mostly figured that stuff out) I'm just over having a box with 16GB of RAM and a Quad Core I7 and double clicking something to watch explorer crash every few minutes. My first install of Win 8 did the same thing; worked good for a few months then repeatedly crashing and the OS couldn't repair itself it was so bad.

155. Poul says:

After spending more then 20 hours trying to repair Windows server 2012 and

finally finding your post, that fixed it in 20 min. I am very impress !!! Where the hell have you been

for the last 3-4 years

When you install MS SQL Server and it fails… and you then uninstall it.something strange happens

it it like it is deleting more then it should…  well DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

fixed it    THANK YOU

156. Mari says:

hello i'm trying to get .NET Framework 3.5 installed in my windows 8 computer. but i can't

i've already tried these things:

Now i've already tried several things:

– Installing it offline with

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:d:sourcessxs /LimitAccess

but i didn't work, getting an error again , and yes the D: drive was were my windows 8 installation cd was.

– trying to enable it via Programs and features, but again getting an error.

– trying to run a .NET Framework 3.5 offline installer, but again no results and getting errors again.

but it won't work and someone suggested then i should run the following command: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

but this won't work also, i get the following message:

ERROR 0x80010108

DISM Failed. No operation was performed.

For more information review the log file.

An error occured closing a servicing component in the image.

This is an RPC error? what does this mean?

157. Kenneth says:

Hi Joscon.

Found your great website through searching for the error 14098 when doing a DISM restorehealth (got a corrupted component store and I can see that several in the comment fields above has had the same problems, but went back to W7 as their solution even if you offered them to look through their CBS.log file.

I dont want to go back to W7…I do like W8. OK to send you the logs for a review ? Maybe I dont have to reinstall my computer (utilizing a 3TB storage space…that would be..time consuming..:) Thanks

158. Harry Johnston says:

@warder: Joseph may already be too busy with his new job to answer here.  In case that's so, I'd just like to remind you that Microsoft typically provide free-of-charge support for problems installing updates.  Try your local support number.

159. sd says:

I'm getting the following error:

"The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the component store cannot be repaired."

Another user reported this above, and the advice was to use the /LimitAccess switch. But this is on a home PC for which the "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" command always used to work. (I tried /LimitAccess anyway, and it didn't help.)

Any helpful advice would be met with gratitude!

160. sd says:

Sorry, I forgot to include the error code, which is 0x800f081f. The contents of dism.log are:

The seemingly-relevant portion of dism.log is as follows (yes, I see it detects no corruption):

Summary:

Operation: Detect and Repair

Operation result: 0x0

Last Successful Step: Entire operation completes.

Total Detected Corruption: 0

CBS Manifest Corruption: 0

CBS Metadata Corruption: 0

CSI Manifest Corruption: 0

CSI Metadata Corruption: 0

CSI Payload Corruption: 0

Total Repaired Corruption: 0

CBS Manifest Repaired: 0

CSI Manifest Repaired: 0

CSI Payload Repaired: 0

CSI Store Metadata refreshed: True

Total Operation Time: 111 seconds.

– CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize

2013-09-04 21:19:09, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=6192 TID=368  – CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize

2013-09-04 21:19:09, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=6192 TID=368 <—– Ending corruption detect/repair info —–> – CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize

2013-09-04 21:19:09, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=6192 TID=368 Loaded servicing stack for online use only. – CDISMPackageManager::RefreshInstanceAndLock

2013-09-04 21:19:09, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=6192 TID=368 Failed while processing command cleanup-image. – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x800f081f)

2013-09-04 21:19:09, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=6192 TID=368 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%logsCBScbs.log – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine

2013-09-04 21:19:09, Error                 DISM   DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=800F081F

161. MEOB says:

Hi, I keep getting Error 1935 (HRESULT: 0x80073712) when trying to install Office 2010 on Windows 8 (64-bit). I've tried running the command (as an administrator): DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

But it just stays about half an hour on 20% or 40%, and then it just closes itself. The black window just closes. No error, message or anything. When I try to install Office I keep getting the same error. I don't know if I'm writing the command wrong or if I should do something else to correct the error.

Please help

162. MEOB says:

It's really long, do you need anything in particular? The ones that say "Warning"? Or also the ones that say "Info"?

163. MEOB says:

I sent them to you via email using the option "Email Blog Author" located at the right corner of the blog

164. sd says:

Hey, do you mind deleting that link after you use it? Thanks. 🙂

165. sd says:

Thanks, Joseph. I've enabled verbose logging and uploaded a new log. My brain hurts trying to parse it. No need to delete this URL: http://sn.im/27rkjo0

166. sd says:

Thank you, but under Control Panel > Language, I have only "English (United States)" installed.

167. sd says:

Thank you. Can you please tell me how I might find the staged files? Sorry to have to ask.

168. LCT says:

joscon,

Windows 8 Pro refuses to update.  Can you please look at my CBS and dism logs?  sfc /scannow does not complete, and the dism string you recommended yields error 14098.  I ran these as administrator.

I placed the logs on my skydrive.  Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

LCT

169. LCT says:

How do I prove a link?  This is my first time using skydrive.

Thanks

LCT

170. Guilherme says:

Hi Joscon,

Thanks for the post, it was really clarifying. I was glad when I found out about DISM, it seemed a really helpful tool. But exactly like @Fduch, I'm having the same 0x800f0906 error (it was not possible for DISM to download the source files) that shows up every time I try to run the tool. I'm running on Safe Mode with Networking, I am connected to the internet and I am running cmd as administrator. I can't run DISM with a normal boot because the computer crashes after minutes of usage. Windows 8 64bit, tried to use DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth . I understand @Fduch solved the problem, but i couldn't understand how. Could you explain it a bit better for me?

171. moconnell1 says:

I'm trying to fix corruption in a side by side assembly but keep getting the an error downloading the payload:

(p)     CSI Payload Corrupt                     amd64_prncacla.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.2.9200.16384_none_fd9c01be8b864efcAmd64CNBJ2530.DPB

Repair failed: Missing replacement payload.

I am probably behind a WSUS on a corporate network but I have added the "Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair"GPO to by pass this (and ensured with a reboot).

DSIM.log http://pastebin.com/TdnEsV6p