Want to know more about Windows 8 Consumer Preview or Server Beta?

Then check out the Understand and Troubleshoot Guides we just released.  These were written by myself and some others on the team working on Windows 8 about all sorts of cool things you can do.  They’re available here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7532.understand-and-troubleshoot-windows-server.aspx

And yes, there is one on servicing 🙂

For Windows 8 News and Feature information, see Steven’s blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/

For questions or issues seen in client, use this forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w8itpro

For questions issues seen in server, use this forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/winserver8

As always, the main Windows 8 Consumer Preview page is right here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/consumer-preview

Enjoy!

–Joseph

1. Glad you're happy 🙂

But no, SFC /SCANNOW is still relevant

2. Features on Demand gives you some of that control (from a payload perspective).  There are good and bad consdierations to a new dism command but I'll think about it and forward the suggestion along.

Hey Joseph,

What happened with the servicing one? I was looking for it a little bit ago and it seems to have disappeared!

4. So first run sfc /scannow, next CheckHealth and if both detect errors which can't be fixed run RestoreHealth? Correct?

5. Win7 already cleans up superseded updates automatically, you just cant force that as a user but it does happen.

6. thanks for listening to me and making checksur downloading files from the internet 🙂 1 question. Do  DISM /Online /cleanup-image /CheckHealth and DISM /Online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealth replace sfc /scannow completely?

7. xpclient says:

@joscon, Well I am requesting Microsoft to consider giving the user, control over it. Something like dism /online /cleanup-image /hotfixessuperseded . And even the automatic scavenging needs to be happen much more aggressively and more frequently. The goal is free up space which is being taken unnecessarily by older updates. People's SSDs are running out of valuable disk space!!

8. We'll automatically mark packages for scavenging and purge those on intervals based on CPU timers.  I'm not running anything different than either of you outside of Win8 🙂

9. Yes, that would be my recommendation for now.

10. Good question Ian.  I have no idea.  I'll ask around and see if I cant get it reposted.  I re-wrote a version of the material after release and thought that was going to be published somewhere.  I'll post back once I know more.

11. LOL, not a problem. I spoke with the team after you mentioned it and they were considering re-publishing my newer content.  I don't know when, or if, that will happen. If you're still working on the content, shoot me an email and I might be able to help you out.

12. xpclient says:

Thanks. Looks interesting. (Goes wildly hunting for any performance related servicing enhancements).

13. nope, Windows 7 removes nothing automatically.

If it's really done nobody would ask you to implement it 😉

14. LOL, thanks Susan.  I wrote the BitLocker, Activation and Online Backup ones as well.  The servicing stuff will cover a lot of the basics of what is new for Windows 8 Consumer Preview/Server Beta.  Features on Demand and Inbox Corruption Repair are very cool to me personally and I hope you all check it out and let me know your thoughts.

15. xpclient says:

Would have been nice to see the option in Windows 8 to cleanup superseded updates automatically. Manually determining which updates are replaced by a newer one and uninstalling the older ones to free disk space is a time-consuming chore for Vista/7 systems. At least the days of downloading CheckSUR will be over. One infinitesimally miniscule step towards reaching the same level of performance and pain-free operation of the superior NT5.x servicing.

Thanks Joseph! (I was writing some Windows Update content today and remembered I'd asked you this – I love that I forget for over a month but you  responded in just a few minutes. Hah! Nice work 😀 )

Hopefully we can get it back up! 🙂

17. I don't know which Windows 7 Build you run, but Win7 RTM/Sp1 don't cleanup sueprseded updates!!!!!!! Maybe you run a Windows 7 Sp2 build that we don't have 😉

18. susan says:

I just spotted yours and about fell on the floor.  Thank you!

19. xpclient says:

The servicing stack in Windows 7 is still a problem because of slow performance and increased disk space consumption. Whatever improvements are made in Windows 8 (removing payload if component is not installed, inbox corruption repair etc) should be backported to Windows 7 with Windows 7 SP2 or a Service stack update for Windows 7.