Supported workaround for torn state installations on Windows 7 SP1

I have an update for those of you with systems in a torn state.  To clarify, torn state systems are those on which the unsupported workaround of deleting the checkpoint from the pending.xml file was used after getting the 0xC0000034 error during SP1 installations.  Even though it was not recommended by Microsoft, many customers used it and ended up in a torn state that currently requires them to rebuild the machine, which is very painful. So, based on customer feedback, we have created  a supported workaround to get out of that torn state without having to rebuild the machine. that I would like for those of you who have been actively watching my posts to test, The steps are as follows:

1. Download the SP1 standalone package for your architecture here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyId=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda
  2. Open an elevated command prompt and expand the standalone executable to a folder to get the SP1 .cab file (note the architecture)
    1. Start /w windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe /x:.\SP1_Expanded
  3. Change to the directory you expanded the files to
    1. cd SP1_Expanded
  4. Use DISM to manually re-install the SP1 cab
    1. DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:windows6.1-KB976932-X86.cab
  5. Reboot the system when prompted
  6. Now open an elevated command prompt and remove SP1 using DISM (again, pay attention to architecture in the commands):
    1. DISM /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.17514
    2. Reinstall SP1 and you should no longer be in a torn state

Please note:  If you have a 64-bit installation of Windows the proper architecture value for the manifest is amd64 (not x64)

My ask is that a couple of you with torn state machines try this and let me know the feedback you have on the steps above.  Note that these are not the same steps as we’ve seen from other posts for recovering from torn state that have driver issues with graphics cards.  If you encounter one of those issues, those are in addition to the torn state and not indicative of a torn state.

Let me know the results

–Joseph

1. @Kelvin;

No worries man.  I appreciate the input here.

Thanks, my problem has arisen since SP1 tried installing on my machine (win7) last week – I detailed my problem in my post at:

answers.microsoft.com/…/23293061-9890-4cc6-bf21-a0f8c9ad0876

All I know is that this problem has happened since windows tried installing SP1, and my forum searches eventually led me here. I'm not a pc whizz, but I can follow instructions pretty well, so if you can help in any way I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

how long should it take to process step 4?

4. Make sure you have a space after the * for the MSU.  Otherwise, not sure what else I can tell you about the command, I know that works for expanding MSUs.

5. Sure, I dont have a problem with any comments.  I just wanted to make sure we were both talking about the same thing.

6. @Brett;

No, you should be usng the script mentioned in the KB (reported on a prior post).

@Everyone else;

We're looking into what's causing the errors you're seeing in step 6.  It's worked for us internally so we're investigating.

7. OK, so you're in WinRE then.  The commands are different.

Instead of using /online as the switch in the commands above, you should be using the following:

DISM /Image:C: /Add-Package /PackagePath:windows6.1-KB976932-X86.cab

Let me know if that works for you.  If C: doesnt work, then you might need to add Windows to the directory structure but you shouldnt need to so long as you're installed to C:.

–Joseph

8. Sounds like you're in WinPE (based on the X: path).  You need to be inside Windows for this to work properly.

9. @Amanda, no it actually doesnt appear that you're in a torn state.  Torn state systems arent really those experiencing issues so much as they are systems where specific actions were performed during an SP1 installation that left the machine in a bad state (known as the torn state).  If you never deleted the checkpoint file in the pending.xml file on your machine it would appear that you have some sort of other installer based problem.  Unfortunately I dont deal with the Windows Installer very much as its not really used for servicing operations.

10. And make sure you're using -F and not -D

11. It's the same as booting from media and choosing repair.  Isnt that what you're doing now?

12. @Rahul;

No there isnt a way to determine torn state on the machines unfortunately.

13. @grenfan;  you can use expand to do this as well, the syntax is expand -f:* KB976932.msu <path>

14. Excellent, glad to hear you're back up and running

15. If your PC wont boot normally, chances are you aren't in a torn state.  These torn states occurred because of manipulations done to the machine during the release of service pack 1.  If you're not booting normally after an update or something else was applied, you can try using /revertpendingactions to see if there is something stuck in the servicing stack.  Otherwise, it could be just about anything else.

16. @zooooon;

1:  Download the version of the service pack that matches the architecture of your installation.  x86 for 32bit and x64 for 64bit systems

2:  If you have a new HDD then why dont you migrate your user settings?  It would be cleaner and faster and would save you a lot of hassle.  That being said, you really should be running these commands against the local drive and not an offline drive so if you want to do these steps you should go ahead and remove the new drive, boot back into the old drive and then follow the steps.

I've made this as step by step as I can really.  Once you have the proper version of the service pack you should be gtg.

–Joseph

17. @Mike;

Thanks for the question.  I havent seen anything specific that would suggest the torn state and the the trust relationships are related to one another.  So, I would go ahead and fix the torn state first and then address the problems with the trusts.

–Joseph

Ps, you'll see from my post that I did try some 'script' solution – I also tried one of the 'pending.xml' solutions on one of the forums – neither have cured my pc.

Thanks again, appreciate your help!

19. No problem at all Will, questions are how things get figured out 🙂

I agree with Susan though, you're most likely facing some OS corruption and will need to rebuild.  I was hoping that you just had a corrupt video driver but if VGA mode isn't working, then its not that either.  If you open a support case, feel free to email me the number and I will keep an eye on it.

And thanks Susan 🙂

20. @Brenda and Nick;

Can you please get me a directory output of the Windowsservicingpackages directory and put it somewhere I can get it (or email it to me if you like).

Also, have all the other steps up until this step completed properly?

–Joseph

21. @contigo;

That's a generic error exit code so its hard to say what might be the cause here.  This was a system that was in a torn state condition correct?  Had you done anything else to this system prior to trying the workaround above such as switch out hives, delete files, etc?

–Joseph

22. No problem, glad that worked for you.  I'll update the blog for amd64 since thats getting hit a lot.

23. Brenda

Are you running this against an x64 installation?  If so, you need to change those values to x64

24. Oliver;

0x800f082e means that the command cannot be run against an offline store.  So, this isnt going to work for offline.  I'd assumed it would but we'd never tested it because all of the torn state issues were due to deletion of the checkpoint in the pending.xml (which will make the machine boot)

So, realistically, the only real option I can give you is to either delete the checkpoint in pending.xml and see if the machine comes back up, then re-run all of the commands.  Or do an inplace upgrade to get the machine back to a good state.

Sorry.

–Joseph

25. OK, let me ask around.  This was working for us internally.

26. Thanks, that doesnt really tell me anything other than your failure was generic.  What other things did you attempt to do to the machine?

27. Ok, then you'd be in a torn state but if the steps above arent working for you then I dont have any other options for you unfortunately.  This has worked for several customers up to this point but anyone who this isnt working for would be advised to rebuild their system to get back into a good state.

I havent actually seen anyone with a torn state system have other errors with Windows though, so there is a chance you might have had something else happen in the meantime.

28. You can put the SP1 download anywhere on your system you like.  The service pack doesnt actually use the Windows Installer, so your inability to reinstall SP1 is more likely due to a servicing problem from the torn state than it would be from the installer issue.

One thing you could try is running an SFC /SCANNOW to see if it finds and fixes any issues for you related to your installer problem.  The thing is, that still wont fix your torn state.

29. @Joe;  Awesome, glad that's working.  Anyone else having issues with these steps now?

–Joseph

30. Sorry Amanda, I dont have a lot of suggestions at this point.  If SFC doesnt run then you're probably best rebuilding this system.

31. @grenfan;  You download the x64 version of the service pack.  However, when running the commands you need to specify amd64 for the actual service pack executable when you're running the commands because thats how we refer to x64 based systems in Windows.

The exapnded directory should just be one that you know the name of, my example uses a made-up folder or ease of use and it would work fine for your situation.

32. Technically you're in a torn state but I would try the KB before rebuilding.  If you edited out the checkpoint of the pending.xml file though, its not a high likelihood that this will work properly.

33. If its throwing that error then you're not in the directory that the MSU is located in.  You can either switch to that directory or put in the full path to the MSU.

34. @Amanda

is the Windows Module Installer service (TrustedInstaller.exe) running? Sfc and DISM need this service.

@Nick Whittome

Sorry to stick my oar in but looking at your log I don't think that you've adjust the name of the package correctly. You've changed the x86 to x64 but I believe it should be amd64. So the dism command for you would be…

dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad264e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514

Not sure what's happening for Brenda on her x86 machine(s) though as I don't have any torn x86 boxes to try it on.

Thanks, I've tried the 'revertpendingactions' method, but just get an 'Error: 126' message.

Don't think rebuilding the OS is an option for me – pc came pre installed from Tesco in 2009 with no installation disk. Really need to just get this working again without destroying any files on there and not having to spend any money – I'm sure you can understand my frustration that an official update for windows has taken my pc out of commission through no fault of mine.

If it helps at all, when I try booting in safe mode, the last line that appears before it turns off again is "Loaded windowssystem32DriversAtiPcie.sys" – not sure if that's relevant.

Thanks again,

Ben

37. @Ben;  Unfortunately, it sounds like your machine is in a really bad state.  The fact that servicing operations are stalled tells me that there is probably something still wrong with the core servicing files and their ability to do their "job".

You have two options here as I see them, the first is to just rebuild the system.  You can do an in-place upgrade and probably still keep your data.  Or you can move your data off and do a clean install.  It's not ideal but it would resolve the problems you're seeing.

The second is to open either a support incident with us or a new post on the forums and allow for the MVPs and other members there to look over you logs for you.

–Joseph

38. @Oliver;  Where are you running this command from?  The running OS?  It looks like you're trying to run this in WinRE, which wont work with the command you're using.  You'd have to use the /image switch in WinRE and point it to your Windows directory.

39. @Joe; I've updated the package name to be (364) instead of (264), please use that and let me know the results.  Maybe I fat fingered it but I know when I was working on this I had the right package names.  However in rechecking my main tools machine here, my package name is 364 so thats probably my fault.

Let me know your results and thanks for bearing with me.

Thanks – is that same as "enable low resolution video"? – have tried that and get same problem. Sorry if I'm asking questions which may seem basic to you, I'm just desperate to fix this problem now!

41. Glad that worked for you Nathan.

I get the error below. I can povide the log file if that helps.

Looks like I will sticking with windows 7 sp0.5 for a while longer

c:…>DISM /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Processing 1 of 1 – Removing package Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514

[==========================100.0%==========================]

An error occurred – Package_for_KB976932 Error: 0x80004005

Error: 0x80004005

DISM failed. No operation was performed.

For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:windowsLogsDISMdism.log

43. Do you recall how you ended up in the C34 condition?  Torn state is a pretty specific condition with service pack installation.  To get into this state you needed to have deleted the checkpoint in pending.xml.  Many of these issues were seen on systems which had WSUS push out the service pack.

If you didn't get to the C34 in that manner, then you're probably dealing with something other than torn state and this wouldn't help you much.

I got to step 4 and it's just been sitting at

"processing 1 of 1 -"

for almost an hour now. Not sure if that's normal. I'm not even sure if my computer is in a "torn state", but windows explorer or any web browser freezes up every 15 seconds or so for a duration of about 10 seconds. This started after I used a workaround to get past that c000000034 error which is why I figured the freezing might be the result of being caught in a torn state. I can find the steps I followed for the workaround and post them here if anyone is interested in helping me out or giving me a little insight.

How long should step 4 take? It's probably been 2 hours since I started it, which seems long. Is there anything that would be causing it to hang that I could change?

Awesome, thank you very much for this, you are a legend.

BTW. I also had to use amd64 in step 6A.

47. @Amanda;

Not sure what's happening there unless you dont have an elevated cmd prompt or you arent in the directory where the package actually is, the proper syntax for you would be:

DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:windows6.1-KB976932-amd64.cab

@joscon

Yes – I tried a bunch of stuff to fix the issue.The specific log errros are:

2011-07-01 22:08:10, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1368  Error in operation: (null) (CBS HRESULT=0x80004005) – CCbsConUIHandler::Error

2011-07-01 22:08:10, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1368 Failed finalizing changes. – CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x80004005)

2011-07-01 22:08:10, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1368 Failed processing package changes – CDISMPackageManager::ProcessChanges(hr:0x80004005)

2011-07-01 22:08:10, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1368 Loaded servicing stack for online use only. – CDISMPackageManager::RefreshInstanceAndLock

2011-07-01 22:08:10, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1368 Failed while processing command remove-package. – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x80004005)

2011-07-01 22:08:10, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1368 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%logsCBScbs.log – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine

2011-07-01 22:08:10, Error                 DISM   DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=80004005

2011-07-01 22:08:10, Info                  DISM   DISM Image Session: PID=1368 Disconnecting the provider store – CDISMImageSession::Final_OnDisconnect

49. @Brett, yes, thats the proper KB.

@Brenda; great!  thanks for letting me know.

50. It could potentially take a long time because it is laying down SP1 again.  Two hours seems a little long to me though so I would make sure you dont have something like anti-virus software interferring with the operation.

Hi,

Excuse my ignorance, but how do I get 'inside windows'? My pc won't boot (even into safe mode), so I'm going via F8 menu to get a dos prompt – should I be doing something else?

Thanks

52. @contigo;  Short of opening a support case for some log review and other things, I hate to say it but rebuild might be your best option.  Particularly if you've tried a bunch of different things against the machine.

@joscon

So many things I can't remember – certainly startup repair. My original error was actually 0xC000021a not …34a so it may have been a different flavour of the problem.

Except for this SP1 issue the machine is running pretty good so I'm not desperate to fix it. I will no doubt have to rebuild at some point.

I also forgot to add that now trying to install SP1 through Windows Update just stays at 0% downloading, so I don't know if it will work through that because it has never actually got around to installing.

55. It will take some time (20-45mins depending on hardware) because its the service pack.

56. @Oliver, make sure you're using amd64 as the architecture and not x64.

57. @Rahul:  LOL, not that I know of but I guess thats a good thing <G>

58. No problem Brenda, glad to help.

I'm just trying this out on one of my few remaining torn PCs.

Step 6 also initially failed for me as it would appear that by following these steps I've ended up with the ad364 package rather than the ad264 package. No idea why but there you have it. Changing the dism command appropriately got it to work. I'm currently reinstalling SP1 and all seems to be well.

@joscon

Thought it might be worth noting that following steps 1-6 rolls back the ati folder to the previous version. As I think I've said before I don't actually have any ATI hardware in use in the machines but the correct (pre SP1) folder seems to be a dependency of getting the install completed. Glad that you've come up with a more graceful way of getting it rolled back.

Also, I don't wish to appear as confrontational but I feel that I have to point out that torn PCs were not only caused by using the unsupported pending.xml hack. The SetupExecute registry edit from this blog post blogs.technet.com/…/error-0xc0000034-during-service-pack-1-installations-for-windows-7-and-windows-2008-r2.aspx also left my machines in a torn state and certainly felt, at the time it went up, that it was being "recommended by Microsoft".

60. Sorry, I found it, it was a typo on my part.  Make sure the path has two ~~'s in it as it's referenced now.

DISM /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad264e35~x86~~6.1.1.17514

61. @Jegan

Not sure what this comment has to do with this post but you need to be usig the /revertpendingactions command in DISM to attempt to force a rollback on your installation.

The reason you're getting an error 50 is because you're attempting to run the command from the RAMDRIVE (noted by the letter X:), you need to be running commands against the C: drive.

–Joseph

Hi,

I'm just working through the instructions above and have reached step 2.

I have opened elevated command prompt (title bar shows "Administrator:X:windowssystem32cmd.exe")

I'm in D:> (which is where I've saved and can see windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe)

I type "start /w windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe /x :. SP1_Expanded" and then I just get a new line with a flashing cursor – it's been like that for several hours, which I presume isn't right!

Hope you can help,

Thanks

Okay, that did eventually finish, but I am having a lot of issues now, and I would appreciate any help. I initially applied the "workaround" that caused the torn-state issue, and I just sort of avoided the situation afterwords as I didn't feel I really needed the upgrade. Now, my university has updated their network this year to require W7 SP1 to connect to the network. I applied the fix listed here, and I never received any errors, but when I finished windows update wouldn't open, and the downloaded sp1 file said components were missing. I did a system restore at this point because it seemed like I was doing more harm than good. (Maybe that wasn't smart, but I was just trying anything to get this fixed.) After the restore, it still gave the compenents missing message, so I tried the suggestions from social.technet.microsoft.com/…/8086ba9e-d3c0-497a-a5ef-7f3bf33d6c09 which involved replacing ati/nvidia folders from the win7 disk. I could not do the system readiness upgrade that that page suggests, because the installation hangs and won't finish. After replacing those folders, the sp1 upgrade will now actually start to install, but it hangs midway through the installation (I can't give percent because there wasn't one but it was probably around 75). Is there anything I can do to fix this mess? I am getting really stressed out about it and I wish I had never seen the workaround that caused all this. Thanks for any help.

Oh okay. Thanks for the reply joscon!

well explorer seems to have completely frozen up while it's processing and I am unable to open the task manager.

I'm hoping that doesn't mess up this process. Now everything is unresponsive(I get nothing but that spinning circle "busy" mouse cursor) except for the CMD window which still has a blinking cursor after "processing 1 of 1"

Hoping for the best!

66. Your best option at this point is probably using the steps here: blogs.technet.com/…/getting-out-of-a-no-boot-situation-after-installing-updates-on-windows-7-2008r2.aspx

Otherwise, given the things you've tried, you might be best rebuilding the OS at this point.

67. When you're booted into PE, you're not working on an online OS.  You're working on the image of the C drive.

Based on your issue description, I would check out my other blog posting on this and use the command inside the blog entry: blogs.technet.com/…/getting-out-of-a-no-boot-situation-after-installing-updates-on-windows-7-2008r2.aspx

68. I understand your frustration.  Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options.

If the last file you're seeing is the ATI driver, try booting into VGA only mode when you boot the safe mode menu and see if the system comes up.  If so, remove your video driver first, reboot normally and then see where you are.

69. Not if the command isnt working properly.  At this point the pending.xml isnt in play, the files are.

@Brenda

One thing you might try is running DISM /online /get-packages and look for the package for KB976932. Compare the name of the package with what you're typing at the command prompt to see if it matches as it may be slightly different. For instance, I've seen an extract from a log where the package name contained "…ad364…" rather than "…ad264…". I presume that this was because it was a Finnish machine.

71. Nick Whittome says:

Joseph,

Nice one, I am going to test this now.

Nick

72. Brenda says:

Step 6 failed for me.

An error occurred trying to open – Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad264e35~x86~6.1

.1.17514 Error: 0x80070057

Found this in the logs…

Failed to load identity from package name: Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad264e35~x86~6.1.1.17514.

73. Brenda says:

Nope it's a x86 machine.  First set of instructions were successful…

74. Nick Whittome says:

There is a typo on line 6 Joseph.  You need two of the squiggles.

75. Nick Whittome says:

Ooops, you beat me to it 🙂

76. Brenda says:

Got a different error .. i just copied and pasted your command in.

An error occurred trying to open – Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad264e35~x86~~6.

1.1.17514 Error: 0x800f0805

The specified package is not valid Windows package.

Error: 0x800f0805

The specified package is not valid Windows package.

The DISM log file can be found at C:WindowsLogsDISMdism.log

77. Nick Whittome says:

Same problem as Brenda here…

Output from log (cleared before running):

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   PID=2076 Scratch directory set to 'C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp'. – CDISMManager::put_ScratchDir

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   PID=2076 Successfully loaded the ImageSession at "C:WindowsSystem32Dism" – CDISMManager::LoadImageSession

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=2076 Found and Initialized the DISM Logger. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_InitializeLogger

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=2076 Failed to get and initialize the PE Provider.  Continuing by assuming that it is not a WinPE image. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=2076 Finished initializing the Provider Map. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=2076 Getting Provider DISMLogger – CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=2076 Provider has previously been initialized.  Returning the existing instance. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=2076 Successfully created the local image session and provider store. – CDISMManager::CreateLocalImageSession

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE:

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: <—– Starting Dism.exe session —–>

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE:

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Host machine information: OS Version=6.1.7601, Running architecture=amd64, Number of processors=2

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Executing command line: DISM  /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad264e35~x64~~6.1.1.17514

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=2076 Getting Provider FolderManager – CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=2076 Provider has not previously been encountered.  Attempting to initialize the provider. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=2076 Loading Provider from location C:WindowsSystem32DismFolderProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=2076 Connecting to the provider located at C:WindowsSystem32DismFolderProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=2076 Successfully loaded the ImageSession at "C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511F" – CDISMManager::LoadImageSession

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Image Session: PID=4312 Instantiating the Provider Store. – CDISMImageSession::get_ProviderStore

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Initializing a provider store for the IMAGE session type. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Provider has not previously been encountered.  Attempting to initialize the provider. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Loading Provider from location C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FOSProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Connecting to the provider located at C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FOSProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM OS Provider: PID=4312 Defaulting SystemPath to C: – CDISMOSServiceManager::Final_OnConnect

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM OS Provider: PID=4312 Defaulting Windows folder to C:Windows – CDISMOSServiceManager::Final_OnConnect

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Attempting to initialize the logger from the Image Session. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Loading Provider from location C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FLogProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Connecting to the provider located at C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FLogProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Getting Provider OSServices – CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Provider has previously been initialized.  Returning the existing instance. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Found and Initialized the DISM Logger. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_InitializeLogger

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Loading Provider from location C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FPEProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Warning               DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Failed to Load the provider: C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FPEProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Failed to get and initialize the PE Provider.  Continuing by assuming that it is not a WinPE image. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Finished initializing the Provider Map. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Getting Provider DISMLogger – CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=2076 Image session successfully loaded from the temporary location: C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511F – CDISMManager::CreateImageSession

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  CSI    00000001 Shim considered [l:256{128}]"??C:WindowsServicingamd64_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_678566b7ddea04a5pkgmgr.exe" : got STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  CSI    00000002 Shim considered [l:250{125}]"??C:WindowsWinSxSamd64_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_678566b7ddea04a5pkgmgr.exe" : got STATUS_SUCCESS

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Target image information: OS Version=6.1.7601.17514, Image architecture=amd64

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Getting the collection of providers from an image provider store type. – CDISMProviderStore::GetProviderCollection

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Loading Provider from location C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FCbsProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Connecting to the provider located at C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FCbsProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Encountered a servicing provider, performing additional servicing initializations. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4312 Finished initializing the CbsConUI Handler. – CCbsConUIHandler::Initialize

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4312 CBS is being initialized for online use. More information about CBS actions can be located at: %windir%logscbscbs.log – CDISMPackageManager::Initialize

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4312 Loaded servicing stack for online use only. – CDISMPackageManager::RefreshInstanceAndLock

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Loading Provider from location C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FMsiProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Connecting to the provider located at C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FMsiProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Loading Provider from location C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FIntlProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Connecting to the provider located at C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FIntlProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Loading Provider from location C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FDmiProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Connecting to the provider located at C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FDmiProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM OS Provider: PID=4312 Successfully loaded the hive. – CDISMOSServiceManager::DetermineBootDrive

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Driver Manager: PID=4312 Further logs for driver related operations can be found in the target operating system at %WINDIR%infsetupapi.offline.log – CDriverManager::Initialize

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Loading Provider from location C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FUnattendProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Connecting to the provider located at C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FUnattendProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Loading Provider from location C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FSmiProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Connecting to the provider located at C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FSmiProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Loading Provider from location C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FTransmogProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Connecting to the provider located at C:UserssbsadminAppDataLocalTemp5432C97F-825F-49C7-BD35-BB011DAC511FTransmogProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Getting Provider DISM Package Manager – CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Getting Provider DISM Unattend Manager – CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Got the collection of providers. Now enumerating them to build the command table.

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: DISM Package Manager

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: DISM Package Manager.

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: OSServices

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: MsiManager

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: MsiManager.

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: IntlManager

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: IntlManager.

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: DriverManager

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: DriverManager.

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: DISM Unattend Manager

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: DISM Unattend Manager.

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: DISM Log Provider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: SmiManager

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: Edition Manager

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Transmog Provider: PID=4312 Current image session is [ONLINE] – CTransmogManager::GetMode

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: Edition Manager.

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4312 Processing the top level command token(remove-package). – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_ValidateCmdLine

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4312 Attempting to route to appropriate command handler. – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4312 Routing the command… – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4312 Encountered the option "packagename" with value "Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad264e35~x64~~6.1.1.17514" – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4312 Failed opening package Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad264e35~x64~~6.1.1.17514. – CDISMPackageManager::Internal_CreatePackageByName(hr:0x800f0805)

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4312 Failed to get the underlying cbs package. – CDISMPackageManager::OpenPackageByName(hr:0x800f0805)

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4312 The specified package is not valid Windows package. – GetCbsErrorMsg

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4312 Failed opening package with the name "Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad264e35~x64~~6.1.1.17514" – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackageNameFromCommandLine(hr:0x800f0805)

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4312 Failed while processing command remove-package. – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x800f0805)

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4312 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%logsCBScbs.log – CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Image Session: PID=4312 Disconnecting the provider store – CDISMImageSession::Final_OnDisconnect

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Finalizing the servicing provider(DISM Package Manager) – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4312 Finalizing CBS core. – CDISMPackageManager::Finalize

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Disconnecting Provider: DISM Package Manager – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

2011-05-10 19:43:37, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=4312 Found the OSServices.  Waiting to finalize it until all other providers are unloaded. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnDisconnect

78. Brenda says:

Yes all steps completed successfully up to that point.  Will try to get you listing…

79. Nick Whittome says:

Email sent with content of the folder….

Everything else (apart from my first comment) is perfect.

80. Brenda says:

Just sent mine to you in email.

81. Joe Blizzard says:

Just tried one of my torn machines. Same results as Nick and Brenda.

82. Joe Blizzard says:

Tried to post this earlier, but it didn't take. Noticed after failing at step 6 that KB976932 showed up in the installed updates under programs and features. Pretty sure it wasn't there before. When I tried another machine I looked at installed updates before starting and noted that it had 91 updates listed and KB976932 wasn't one of them. I got the same not valid error on the second machine, but now it lists 16 updates with KB976932 at the top of the list.

83. Brenda says:

@ Kelvin

Going to try your suggestion.  will let you guys know!

84. brett says:

I'm confused. I'm getting the 0xc0000034 error after SP1 install and can't do a system restore. I haven't tried the pending.xml workaround. Should I try it or not?

85. Brenda says:

My file name was different.

:Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.17514

ad364 instead of 264

ran fine once i changed that.  rebooting now and will try reinstall of Sp1

86. brett says:

@Joscon

You say do the script, not the pending.xml workaround, I'm reading kb 975484 it seems the pending.xml and script are one and the same? Is this the right kb i should be looking at? Thanks.

87. Brenda says:

Got Service Pack installed… successfully! and i see it in Installed Updates in Control Panel. Sweet.

88. Joe Blizzard says:

@Brenda: Did you happen to notice if the service pack showed up in control panel after step 5? That's what I'm seeing.

@joscon: I haven't tried a modified step 6 yet, being somewhat reluctant nowadays to proceed without something approaching an official Microsoft stamp of approval.

89. Brenda says:

Yes it shows in control panel as being installed.  Before it didn't.

90. Joe Blizzard says:

I'm wondering if a regular uninstall/reinstall from control panel would work at that point.

91. Joe Blizzard says:

@joscon: Will do, soon as I can get access to one of my torn machines.

92. Joe Blizzard says:

It worked.

The command I used in step 6a for my x64 system was:

DISM /online /remove-package /packagename:

Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514

93. zooooon says:

I have the same problem with my computer.

First of all I went to the first link and there are multiple files to download, which ones should i download.

Second, i have bought a new HDD and reinstalled OS and attached my old HDD which had that problem as a external Hard Disk.

Can i apply changes directly on the hard disk and put the hard disk back to boot up back in to my old system or will have to apply the fix in command prompt only?

and please can you explain the steps as if you are explaining to a dummy, i am not too familiar with where to go and what to do.. sorry for asking this questions but i need get my old computer back and not too sure that i understand all the steps correctly.

Thank you for the help.

–Taizoon

94. Brenda says:

Finally got a chance to run the steps on one of my broken x64 machines and it worked as well.  Thanks Joscon for sticking with us. 🙂  you are da bomb.

95. RV says:

We'll try these today.  I posted regarding running inplace upgrades on the last blog entry, but that may all be moot.  Thanks again!

96. Nick Whittome says:

So….

For me, I had to change the ad264 to ad364 AND change x64 to amd64

So, Step 6 was:

This needs a script 🙂

97. rahul says:

This may sound a li'l dumb but I am not able to make out my torn machines.. Is there a way from which I can confirm that this one is a torn machine..?

I had a few machines which became torn at that time.. most of them have been re-imaged.. some i did not install SP.. some left torn.. so is there a way that i can know easily which one is what and stop playing Mr. Doom vs Batman on the machines?

Thanks for the resolution.. Joseph..!!

98. Joe Blizzard says:

@Rahul: All of my torn machines were identifiable by the list of installed updates under control panel – programs and features. Comparing a suspected torn system to a known good one in this way might reveal something for you. I'm seeing a very large number of updates all having a date of 3/10/2011 on my torn machines. Absence of this may not necessarily prove anything, though.

99. rahul says:

Joseph: I ws curious & wanting 2 kw if MS changed anyting with .net framewrk post SP1… Its behaving kind of stable since then 🙂

100. Oliver says:

hi joseph,

i tried the above routine, however, when using the DISM to reinstall the package (step4 DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:windows6.1-KB976932-X64.cab),

the error: 50 came up saying that DISM does not support the option "/online" when servicing Windows PE.

can you please give me a hint..

thx, oliver

101. grenfan says:

@joscon

I have a torn state, Win7 64. I'm trying to figure out how to fix it.

1. Which Sp1 package should I download? I downloaded x64, but I understand that I need the amd64, correct? If so, which one?

2. Which directory should I expand to, is it the same like my Windows folder?

I'll try to proceed from there,

Thanks

102. Oliver says:

sorry, was a typing mistake on my side, i use X86 anyways, but the problem with DISM "/online" still persists and i have no idea how to solve that.

Step4: DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:windows6.1-KB976932-X86.cab

error: 50

DISM does not support the servicing of Windows PE with the option "/online"

thanx for your help and your patience.. oliver

this is the

DISM log

2011-07-07 13:42:22, Info                  DISM   PID=816 Scratch directory set to 'X:windowsTEMP'. – CDISMManager::put_ScratchDir

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   PID=816 Successfully loaded the ImageSession at "X:windowsSystem32Dism" – CDISMManager::LoadImageSession

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=816 Found and Initialized the DISM Logger. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_InitializeLogger

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=816 Failed to get and initialize the PE Provider.  Continuing by assuming that it is not a WinPE image. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=816 Finished initializing the Provider Map. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=816 Getting Provider DISMLogger – CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=816 Provider has previously been initialized.  Returning the existing instance. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=816 Successfully created the local image session and provider store. – CDISMManager::CreateLocalImageSession

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE:

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: <—– Starting Dism.exe session —–>

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE:

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Host machine information: OS Version=6.1.7600, Running architecture=amd64, Number of processors=2

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Executing command line: dism.exe  /online /Add/Package /PackagePath:windows6.1-KB976932-X86.cab

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=816 Getting Provider FolderManager – CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=816 Provider has not previously been encountered.  Attempting to initialize the provider. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=816 Loading Provider from location X:windowsSystem32DismFolderProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=816 Connecting to the provider located at X:windowsSystem32DismFolderProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Image session has been closed. Reboot required=no.

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE:

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: <—– Ending Dism.exe session —–>

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE:

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM Image Session: PID=816 Disconnecting the provider store – CDISMImageSession::Final_OnDisconnect

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=816 Disconnecting Provider: FolderManager – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=816 Found the OSServices.  Waiting to finalize it until all other providers are unloaded. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnDisconnect

2011-07-07 13:42:23, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=816 Releasing the local reference to DISMLogger.  Stop logging. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

103. Oliver says:

i run from administrator: x:windowssystem32cmd.exe

and i start from f8 (boot options) > repair system > command prompt

what exactly should i do now??

thx:)

104. Oliver says:

so whats what i did.

i started the dism from d:sp1_expanded>

(my apologies,i have to translate from german, i tried to set the language to english, but the errors still appear in german, anyways..)

with your command the dism started to work, but the it said that

the size of the draft directory might be too small for the process, which can lead to unexpected behaviour. use the option /scratchDir to point at a directory with enough memory.  min size 1024MB

1 of 1 is processed Package_for KB976932: the given Package can not be added to an offline package, add the package using the option /online

error: 0x800f082e

error: 0x800f081e

is there another option to boot not in the WinRE, but in Win PE, mabe from a boot USB?

oliver

105. grenfan says:

@joscon

I tried to run on Administrator:cmd the following command: D:Start /w windows6.1-KB976932-amd64.exe /d:.SP1_Expanded (I downloaded my package to D: directory), however I got the message that windows6.1-KB976932-amd64.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command. I could run the same command with x64, but then I couldnt find the cd SP1_Expanded.

Thanks for your help

106. grenfan says:

I tried to run -d:* KB976932.msu <path>, but it says that the system cannot find the file specified

107. grenfan says:

@joscon

My windows 6.1-KB976932-x64 file is on d:, so I tried to run   d: -d:*KB976932.msu <path>, still the same message

108. grenfan says:

Using D:>-f:* KB976932.msu <path> gave me ''the syntax of the command is not correct''

109. grenfan says:

Can I just replace pending.xml with the old one (I made a copy before I changed it) and then run your script? I think that something is wrong with the SP1 file that I downloaded

110. grenfan says:

would it be better if I'll run these commands from f8 f8 (boot options) > repair system > command prompt?

111. grenfan says:

No, I was running cmd from Windows. Also, I'm trying to download x64 file again

112. Oliver says:

Hi joseph,

im in WinRE

when i use the command

Step4: DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:windows6.1-KB976932-X86.cab

it says:

error: 50

DISM does not support the servicing of Windows PE with the option "/online"

when i use this command

DISM /Image:C: /Add-Package /PackagePath:windows6.1-KB976932-X86.cab

is says:

1 of 1 is processed Package_for KB976932: the given Package can not be added to an offline image, add the package to a running OS  using the option /online

error: 0x800f082e

error: 0x800f081e

the given package is not valid for this image

i'm kinda stuck here and would really appreciate your further help,

thanx very much,

oliver

113. mike says:

@joscon

Joseph, I hope you are doing well.  I have a question for you on this.  I still have a small handful of machines in the torn state because of location that I haven't been able to apply the supported fix.  One of these machines on Friday started giving an error to the user when they tried to log in, "The trust relationship between this workstation and the domain has failed".

Could this be because of the torn state on this machine?  I'm in the process of applying the fix, but wondered if this happened to this machine because of the torn state.

Also, it appears that people have had varying degrees of success removing/readding the machine to the domain, so I hope applying the torn state fix fixes this machine.  Just thought I would ask…

Thanks,

Mike

114. mike says:

@Joscon

Joseph, just an update.  I got the fix for the torn state applied, but it didn't fix this problem.  I will go the route of remove and re-add to domain and see what happens.

Thanks,

Mike

115. amanda says:

Hello Joscon, I seem to be having trouble with step 4.  I get an error 87, saying "The add-package option is unknown."  Do you have any idea why I'm getting this error?  Below is what I typed for step 4:

DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:windows6.1-KB976932-x64.cab

Thanks for the help!

-Amanda

116. amanda says:

Going off my last comment I've also tried

DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:windows6.1-KB976932-amd64.cab

and several other variations.

117. amanda says:

Just to clarify a couple things, the elevated cmd prompt is when you run cmd prompt as administrator?  Also, I have my files on the desktop(I downloaded 7601.17514.101119-1850_Update_Sp_Wave1-GRMSP1.1_DVD.iso, Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.AMD64CHK.Symbols.msi, Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.AMD64FRE.Symbols.msi, and windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe); would I need to type in anything extra, or place them elsewhere?  I'm sorry if I may sound a bit inexperienced, I'm somewhat learning as I go.  Thanks.

118. amanda says:

Went into the DISM logs and found this error:

DISM.EXE: No providers were found that support the command(add-package). HRESULT=0

119. amanda says:

What is confusing me is that currently I am unable to install anything and i keep getting the message that my windows installer isn't installed correctly, then when I try to re-install it it says my installer isn't working. I've always thought that this was due to my computer being in a torn state. Am I correct on that or is it another issue?

120. amanda says:

Sorry for the mass posting I'm just having trouble with the fact that I am unable to install things that I need on my computer, for example my subscription to an anti-virus service ran out so I tried to install a new one but I ran into the problem I previously posted about. Eventually I found an antivirus that I could install, but still the fact that I can't install updates on my computer is somewhat irritating. So if my computer being in a torn state is the problem, I'd like for it to be fixed as soon as possible.

Again, sorry for all the posting.

121. amanda says:

To piggyback off of my last few comments(sorry for posting yet another) I tried to install something else and got " Error: 0x80004005" just curious if this is in any way attached to my computer being in a torn state or if I need to find a separate fix?

122. amanda says:

I did delete the checkpoint in the pending.xml when I had the error with SP1 but I didn't get installer issues until after I did so.

123. amanda says:

Just my luck. I searched around on the site about my windows installer and it's said that it stops working if something has been installed half way or incorrectly and the main file I know that hasn't been installed correctly is SP1.

One thing I've been curious about is where exactly do I need to put the files I downloaded from step 1? I also tried to reinstall SP1 but I couldn't because of my installer issues, which apparently I got from SP1. I don't know what to do exactly, any suggestions?

124. amanda says:

The scan didn't start either :[

Tried to do the process again, yet I still get error:87 when I get to step 4.

125. JeganS says:

Posting a second time –

I have a computer that is stuck at the starting windows screen (logo blinking). After trying the system repair and clean boot, I'm trying to use the Dism command to role back windows updates. Here are the steps I took –

f8 (boot options) > repair system > command prompt

run from administrator: x:windowssystem32cmd.exe

x:sourcesrecoverytools>Dism /online /get-packages

I get an error 50 DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option.

I then used Dism /image:C: /get-packages. That did not work. It came back with – unable to access image. I added Windows with the same result. Please help. Thanks.

126. JeganS says:

Thanks for the reply. Your's was the only blog actively discussing Dsim commands 🙂

Let me know if it ok to continue here. Thanks either way.

127. JeganS says:

Cool. I changed it to the c drive.

c:> Dism /online /get-packages.

Same error. DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option

128. JeganS says:

I'll continue the comments in the other thread. Thanks.

129. nathan woodcock says:

We got hit by this on a clients laptop after it had W7 SP1 delivered by sbs2011 WSUS, and the client turned off the unit mid install shutdown.

the above solution worked perfectly, thanks.

130. susan says:

Willarmis?  There's a way to get media from a digital river download site.  As long as you have a product key code (which should be on the COA sticker on the side) you can do an inplace non destructive repair install over the top.

Email me at Susan-at-msmvps.com and I can fix you up and even get you into a support case.

The torn state situation of this blog post only occurred when sp1 was applied via WSUS and it hasn't done this in a long time.  You are facing just OS corruption which unfortunately can happen.

(change the -at- to @ btw)

131. NS says:

this service pack issue has just cropped up on a pc, I tried editing the pending.xml file but it didnt work so  i put the original file back.  Is this pc still considered to be in a 'torn' state or can i just run this fix to sort it support.microsoft.com/…/975484

132. NS says: