Windows 7 Service Pack 1 fails to install with 0x800f0a13 or 0x800f0826

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 may fail to install properly on systems which have had the Driver Sweeper utility from Phyxion run against the Windows image.  You could possibly encounter errors 0x800f0a13 or 0x800f0826 in your \Windows\Logs\CBS.log file that is similar to the following:

2011-02-23 10:47:55, Error                 CBS    SPI: Driver directory C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\atiilhag.inf_amd64_neutral_951c1812f542740a is missing
2011-02-23 10:47:55, Error                 CBS    SPI: (CSPInstall::CompatibilityApplicabilityScan:1468)Inbox Driver check failed hr=0x800f0a13

Due to some recent forums feedback, before trying any of these workarounds please run the latest version of CheckSUR against your machine as it may resolve your issue.  It is located here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

There are several workarounds for this issue:

Workaround 1:

Follow the steps from Phyxion on properly restoring the drivers: http://forum.phyxion.net/viewtopic.php?id=17

Workaround 2:

Mount your Windows installation media to a folder and manually copy the ATI files to the \Windows\winsxs directories (choosing to overwrite the files if they exist).  The file names are:

(x86 versions)

x86_atiilhag.inf.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_en-us_4c2c9aec5f3d44b5

x86_atiilhag.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_a574bbd4a69c292d

(amd64 versions)

amd64_atiilhag.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_019357585ef99a63

amd64_atiilhag.inf.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_en-us_a84b3670179ab5eb

Workaround 3:

Perform an inplace upgrade of Windows

UPDATE 2-28-11: There have also been issues seen when using the DriverCleanerDotNet tool as well.

Special thanks to Andre Ziegler for coming up with this information.

–Joseph

First I am going to need to know if you're Horde or Alliance 🙂

0x800f080d is CBS_E_MANIFEST_INVALID_ITEM which tells me you may have a broken manifest.  Have you run CheckSUR on this machine?  Did you ever have a beta version of the Service Pack installed prior to installing the released version?

@Drew: 0x800f0826 is a pending victim error. It basically means that you have something in the servicing stack that knows its going to have issues if it attempts to complete what you're trying to install, the service pack in this case.  What you would need to do is look through the CBS.log and see what was the cause of the pending victim and eliminate that first, then reinstall the service pack.  You can open an issue on the forums with your logs and people will take a look at them for you.

Well the good thing is that you now have a list of all of the files you need.  The bad thing is there are 40 of them 🙂

What you would need to do is mount your install.wim and move the ones on that list that you can back into their proper directories in windowswinsxs.  From there, try and reinstall the service pack.

You need to use takeown.exe and give yourself full rights to the winsxs directory.

Your other option would be to boot into WinRE, use DISM to mount the install.wim on the DVD and then copy the files from there

Not the CBS.log but the files referenced in the log.  You should be able to correlate the failures you're seeing based on error code inside the CBS.log, once you see those file names, you can replace them from another machine in an attempt to resolve the problem.

The content of the folder C:WindowsSystem32configTxR is hidden. Activate in the options that hidden files are shown.

You must run

fsutil resource setautoreset true C:

from the commandprompt (cmd.exe) with admin rights.

sorry , additional info: the system's version is Win 7 Enterprise 32bit

hi dear,

can you give me a advice about error '0x800f080d' during SP1 update ?

thanks a lot !

dear ,

I am a local IT engineer who work on a  foreign company.  I don't clear that I am Hoder or Alliance 🙂

Recently my company need update SP1  for all pc( including some offical software and system upgrade), most pc have finished , but some strange pc can update sofware sucessfully except for sp1.

we only find this error '0x800f080d' .

I think our company's system  is released version.

Feel free to reply to me if you need more info .

thanks a lot !

I have run the CheckSUR.

details for below:

Checking System Update Readiness.

Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645

Package Version 13.0

2011-09-05 08:54

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:

Seconds executed: 460

No errors detected

Glad you got it sorted out, happy to help 🙂

Thanks, its good that CheckSUR is clean but bad that you have a corrupted manifest.  Can you correlate that error to anything in the C:WindowsLogsCBSCBS.log file to see which manifest its complaining about?  You might be able to replace it from a working machine.

You can use something like the Windows AIK tool IMAGEX to accomplish that.

Yeah, sorry about that.  Classic overthinking of a problem on my part.

80071A91 = Transaction manager not running.

Delete all files (*.*) from C:WindowsSystem32configTxR, next run

fsutil resource setautoreset true C:

reboot and try to install Sp1 again.

hi dear,

I am not sure that the link about my issue whether you need  or not . Could you please link it for checking ?

' social.technet.microsoft.com/…/75d9678d-ffac-4e7c-9f73-e1e30b8c5f8b '

you means that I can replace the CBS.log file from a working normally machine is sucess to update SP1 to this error machine's ?

17. R. karim says:

windows 7 service pack 1 64-systemen (KB976932) op 50% hangen echt raar pc loopt vast

18. sidspyker says:

and how exactly do I use workaround 2? "mount" the folder??

19. sidspyker says:

@joscon Thanks, but, thats around 1Gb download for AIK, I could rather do an in-place upgrade, but I don't know if it will erase my data, and I tried Phyxion method…

20. sidspyker says:

@joscon, hey, i found another way, easier, yeah install.wim

21. sidspyker says:

I'm troubling you alot, joscon, lol, but I need a bit more help, I ran that System Update Readyness Tool and it gave me a log with 40 missing files 0_o..

Now what should I do?

22. sidspyker says:

Yeah you're right, and just when I thought everything was fine, another problem comes up, my disk as NO

amd64_atiilhag.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_03c46b205be81dfd  -folder

and in the link I posted before ( http://pastebin.com/TYXs5ep6 ), I checked and the files are the same from:

amd64_atiilhag.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_019357585ef99a63 -folder

23. sidspyker says:

EDIT:Okay after this I ran System Update Readiness Tool and it fixed the files from this folder by copying, thanks for ALLLLLL your help joscon xD

24. Drew998 says:

What does it mean when I receive the 0x800f0826 error but I have never used driver sweeper and have an Nvidia graphics card

25. ivan says:

You can place the requiered folders and files (from Workaround 2) by using the live distro of Linux. I used Puppy Linux on the laptop and after copying those files (previously extracted from Win7 DVD), I ran CheckSUR tool, restarted and installed SP1 via Windows Update successfully. On another computer I had both Windows 7 and OS X with third party NTFS driver installed (so that Mac partition can write to NTFS partition of Windows) and that worked too. I believe this is simpler than having to take ownership of winsxs subfolders and messing with user permissions.

26. BoKKo says:

Isn't the point of an Administrative Service pack install that it CONTAINS all files needed for installation?

Like mentioned these work arounds are/can cause problem down the road why doesn't Microsoft simply release a trusted installer package the reinstall these files in proper locations?

Damn for every step forward this company always takes two steps back.

27. ManfredS says:

My work-around for the missing C:WindowsSystem32DriverStoreFileRepositoryatiilhag.inf_amd64_neutral_951c1812f542740a:

I found another atiilhag.inf_amd64_neutral_xyzxyz in the said directory. So booted to recovery console and opened command prompt. Created the atiilhag.inf_amd64_neutral_951c1812f542740a directory and copied all files from atiilhag.inf_amd64_neutral_xyzxyz into the atiilhag.inf_amd64_neutral_951c1812f542740a.

Rebooted normally to Windows 7, ran SP1-setup … and seems everything is fine.

That worked for me with three machines.

28. Ken says:

Too bad Microsoft can not be bothered to make an SP that actually works properly.  It should contain all the files it needs.  How soon can we expect a fixed SP1 for Windows 7?

29. Jeff D. says:

Ahhhh…never!

30. bzoov says:

how to copy the files into winsxs folder? I get 'access denied', and cant change winsxs' folder read-only attribute (i also get 'access denied' as an admin)

31. Twigg says:

hi i'm getting a 80071A91 and a 9C47 here :/

32. Twigg says:

Ziegler hi thanks for the tip but this directory turned out to be empty before I even looked in it. and I couldn't locate fsutil resource setautoreset true C: either

or do I have to type that somewhere?