CheckSUR has been updated for Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 installations

I know I’ve mentioned CheckSUR a lot around here and its a really vital tool for troubleshooting servicing problems within the OS.

I’m happy to report that the utility has been updated to work on Service Pack 1 installations for Windows 7 and R2.  I finished testing it on my own installation yesterday and all seems to be working well.

As usual, you can find it here:

1. LOL, finally someone caught that I changed the name.  And yes, Ben was the insipration for the name.  The guys I work with thought my old blog name was lame.   I'm open to other suggestions <G>

2. I would still disagree with you on your first point.  If you have the type of corruption that required a repair install in WinXP, the alleviation of that problem is the same in Vista/Win7 (reinstall).  Additionally, the remediation steps such as CheckSUR are nothing an end user would have an issue with as its automated.

I'll give you the point about CheckSUR size in relation to internet speeds, and that is something we have conversations about internally a lot.

3. I like it Rahul….blog name updated.  You win…well nothing but my thanks for the suggestion <G>

4. Understood, in some ways I wish we had that option as well at times but realistically, we have all of the options for corruption repair in the OS now (SFC, DISM commands, etc) so unless you have massive corruption which would require a new installation, its there.

5. So are you saying DEP is actually not active or that its just that the toolkit is reporting that its not active?

6. @Dean, it will forward you to the 2/22 version of the files.  For example, Win7 x64 is located here:…/details.aspx

7. If it fixes issues for people, I am fine with that

8. @someone:  XP did, but it usually required a rebuild because we werent able to fix the corruption once it hit.

9. Peter says:

I have encountered an other malfunction: DEP seems to be not active any more. According to EMET, DEP is running on my system. If I want to activate DEP then I have to login as Administrator. But I have already loged in as Administrator. So, what's going on here Microsoft?

10. anony.muos says:

CheckSUR's getting more and more bloated now. One day it will be the size of SP1 itself.

11. Dean says:

It says:

Last Review: October 28, 2010 – Revision: 13.1

Is that correct ?

12. rahul says:

The changed name of the blog suprised me for a moment… & thn ws happy that i was at the right place and felt Joseph met Ben Armstrong ( The Virtual PC guy) 🙂

13. Dean says:

"I'm open to other suggestions"

How about just

'Tips and Tricks on Issues Related to Servicing'

Pretty much says it all.

14. rahul says:

I liked the new name… I think we could do with the addition of Windows to it & make it more apt…. 'The Windows Servicing Guy' 🙂

15. rahul says:

Great.. I just hope that the search engines are able 2 soak the name changes lol.. Oooh what do you kw… There is another blog that does not seem to be active though [Bing results]:…/os_servicing_guy

16. anony.muos says:

Fair enough but why did the XP servicing model did not have to repaired for inconsistencies by huge sized tools?

17. anony.muos says:

Btw nice blog name. I wasn't sure whether it was there or not earlier when I saw it. 😛

18. rahul says:

@someone: A repair install was another way to get around in XP. Though it seemed simpler it sent the DC (2003 OS) go haywire on some occasions.

Jos: I miss the repair install for XP. I understand it being gone with the new Windows install model but there should be something for the Win7 (may be Win8) if not for the servers…!!!! Repair was a very simple solution of solving corruption to OS files.. Even virus infected machines could have been atleast bought up with a repair and then scanned.. treated & cleaned.. I can go on abt how much it was of help for a common user (Non Tech user) of XP… & I hv read from your blog & others at MS on how the new model is better.. but make some changes and give back the most needed repair back…!!!

19. rahul says:

All the steps are too complicated & TIME CONSUMING for a common user to be used. There is really no benefit vis-a-vis, the time and the guarantee that they would really solve the problem… (The corruption being too high).

20. rahul says:

Just to add that there is need to be concerned about the size of CHKSUR too as all Windows users across the globe are not blessed with fast internet speeds.. You really need to provide other ways may be an online server along the lines of a symbol server for debugging looks a viable alternative and you can let us choose to download the chksur or go the online route…!!

21. Drewfus says:

@Rahul "All the steps are too complicated & TIME CONSUMING for a common user to be used."

So what do you suggest? I’d suggest a new CPL called "Windows Subsystems Repair", with tabs for major OS subsystem categories, like Servicing, Hardware, Media, Networking, Performance and Shell. Each tab would have links to appropriate tools and troubleshooters,
    like these;…/details.aspx

These tools would either fix faults, and/or reset component states to factory defaults. (This might require access to xml files like unattend.xml.) The Servicing tab covers servicing and WU. There are links to "1. System Update Readiness Tool", "2. System
    File Checker", "3. Reset Windows Update", etc. If CheckSUR is missing or not current, the user is prompted to download the latest version. At the end of each step the user is prompted with option to view log. Dialog includes link to "How to read log X" on
    Support site. Some of this might look a bit rough – popping up command windows and displaying text files in Notepad – but who cares if it’s enough to make your system work and avoid a reinstall?

Regarding the CheckSUR download size & time, would it be sensible to have a scheduled task that commenced a BITS d/l – maybe once per quarter – so that the latest version was usually on users systems, just in case they needed to run it?