Bitlocker drive prep tool not working on Vista and 2008 SP2 installations

Just heard about this last night so I wanted to put this out there.

We’re aware of an issue with the Bitlocker Drive Prep tool (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=320b9aa9-47e8-44f9-b8d0-4d7d6a75add0&displaylang=en) on Windows Vista/2008 with SP2 installations.  You’ll get an error regarding the “Update does not apply to your system” similar to the issue I blogged about CheckSUR.  We will have a new binary out shortly that will work with SP2, no timeframe as of yet.

As a workaround, you can try to do the following to manually install the update:

expand -f:* “C:\Windows6.0-KB933246-x86.msu” %TEMP%

start /w pkgmgr.exe /ip /m:%TEMP%\Windows6.0-KB933246-x86.cab

C:\Program Files\BitLocker\BdeHdCfg.exe will be the tool that you want to run post installation of the package.  The GUI version of the tool will still fail to work properly.  Use of this tool is discussed more in the following article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933246/en-us

What this will do is expand the files that make up the standalone installer into your temp directory and then allow you to manually install them with PKGMGR to the system.  I’ll discuss in a later blog as to when is a good time to do this and when its not appropriate, but for this update, it should work properly.

UPDATE:  We’re aware that this is effecting the other Bitlocker tools as well.  Thank you for your comments.  The updates are being worked on and will be out rather soon.  I’ll let everyone know when they hit so you can grab the new bits.

This is fixed in the latest builds, I posted a blog on that last month.

I updated the blog now, the team is aware of and working on 928201 and 928202.

They are still working on the fixes right now.  I know they are due to be out "soon" but I still dont have a specific date.  As soon as they are out I will make sure I update the post so everyone knows.

This is a problem for the legacy WinHelp package too. The Vista/Windows 7 servicing stack leaves a lot to be desired.

And for Bitlocker Repair Tool (KB928201) and BitLocker Active Directory Recovery Password Viewer (KB928202).

You should still be able to work around the issue using the steps above DC.  I’m still waiting on the product group to give us a firm date on the fix.

manual workaround does not work on Vista x64 SP2

Thanks….I have mail out already for the other two Bitlocker tools as well.  I would think since the team knows about the issue with the prep tool that they are aware of the others as well.  I’ll let you know once I know more.

Which package number are you referring to (917607 I am assuming)?  I will test it and make the team aware of it.

@Mike

Its the installation of the fix post SP2 install.  You can manually install it using the steps above and then you need to use the command line too BDEHDCFG to configure the disks.

I have mail out again today as to when we can expect the update to be re-released.  I know that it’s supposed to be soon but it seems like it’s taking a little longer than the word soon justifies 🙂

11. bill says:

any updates on the the other 2 tools, such as BitLocker Recovery Password Viewer??

thanks

12. somone says:

hello,

are there any news about that problem?

13. Mike says:

I am confused, Is it the msu that is not working or the tool itself? Because I am having issues with the tool.

14. DC says:

Has this been resolved?? I am unable to get the BitLocker Recovery Password Viewer working on 2008 SP2 and Vista SP2.

15. BGMarq says:

is there an ETA on resolution?

16. Silvia says:

I am running into this issue as well with SBS2008 SP2 x64. The above workaround does not work for me. Has there been any update to this issue or am I missing something?

Thanks.

17. Silvia says:

Nevermind. I followed the blog to

and downloaded the latest build. Thanks for the help.

18. Chris says:

The new download still does not work even with the workaround for Win2k8 R2 amd64. The pkgmgr command returns the error "Operation failed with 0x8007047f, The specified program is not a Windows or MS-DOS program".