A few quick resources you will want to download and keep for reference, and share with your business.
IT Pros, read both articles. The ‘Data Sheet’ is a slick (two page brochure with eye candy), the ‘Reviewer’s Guide’ is a relatively in depth guide to SCVMM 2008 features and capabilities. It does not explain HOW to perform operations in SCVMM, instead it covers WHY you should get involved with this product in the first place.
Management, read the ‘Data Sheet’ to gain a basic understanding of this product. This will facilitate conversations with your IT team. If you will also be involved in the planning or testing phase of this product, read the ‘Reviewer’s Guide’. The guide does not go into the gritty details of implementation, instead it covers each feature of SCVMM thoroughly and how it can be applied to your environment.
Need more incentive? Here is a short list of features to get you started.
· P2V – Physical to Virtual conversion
· V2V – Virtual to Virtual conversion
· PRO – Performance and Resource Optimization
· Intelligent Placement Ratings
· Self-Service Portal – Delegated Web Site
· Centralized Library
· SAN Transfers for VM migration in seconds
· Remote Management
· Windows 2008 Failover Cluster Integration
· Full control of Hyper-V and SCVMM via PowerShell
After reading the information, if you find that you still have questions feel free to contact by email.
Further reading on PowerShell integration: