If you’re working with Microsoft® Hyper-V™ Server 2008 you might be interested to know that Microsoft® Hyper-V™ Server 2008 R2 Beta is available for DOWNLOAD.
Couple of things to note:
- This is a pre-release version of Microsoft® Hyper-V™ Server 2008 R2 and NOT intended to be used in a production environment.
- Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 beta is a 64-bit only technology and it is not supported on IA64 or x86 systems.
Also, check out the Microsoft® Hyper-V™ Server 2008 R2 (beta) Overview and the Microsoft® Hyper-V™ Server 2008 R2 (beta) Configuration Tool Guide!!!
So What’s New?
Microsoft® Hyper-V™ Server 2008 R2 is a stand-alone product that provides a reliable and optimized virtualization solution enabling organizations to improve server utilization and reduce costs. Here are some of the additional new features you’ve been asking for:
- Live migration
- Expanded processor support for host
- Expanded memory support for host
With Microsoft® Hyper-V™ you’ll be able to consolidate workloads onto a single physical server. It’s also a great solution for organizations who are consolidating servers as well as for development and test environments.
How Does it Help?
Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 enables companies to:
- Reduce costs
- Improve utilization
- Easily provision new servers.
And virtualization still lets you leverage existing patching, provisioning, management and support tools and processes.
What are the System Requirements for Hyper-V Server 2008?
- Processor : x64 compatible processor with Intel VT or AMD-V technology enabled.
- Hardware Data Execution Prevention (DEP): specifically Intel XD bit (execute disable bit) or AMD NX bit (no execute bit), must be available and enabled.
- Minimum CPU speed : 1.4 GHz; Recommended: 2 GHz or faster
- RAM : Minimum: 1 GB RAM; Recommended: 2+ GB RAM; Maximum 1 TB
- Required Available disk space : 4GB of available hard disk space (additional disk space needed for each guest operating system)
- Required Input Device: DVD ROM drive
- Display : Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution monitor
- Other : Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device