In case you hadn’t heard, maybe because your cable TV and internet connection has been down the last few days and you refuse to read the newspaper J, you can download Windows 7 from the Windows 7 Beta Customer Preview Program web site. If you’re a TechNet subscriber download the beta from here.
So, if you’re an IT Pro and want to try Windows 7 on your lab computers or on a secondary PC go download the beta ASAP!!! But before you do, check out the information below and make sure you’re able to perform the requirements, (more detail is at the Windows 7 Beta Customer Preview Program web site).
Because Microsoft is only making this pre-release version of Windows 7 available to the first 2.5 million people who download, so if you want it download early before the servers get shut-off.
Why only Lab Computers and Secondary PCs?
This is a beta and comes with all the usual caveats to beta software. So run at your own risk in production. (See below for more information on what you need to make sure of before you install the beta).
Anything I need to Know Before I Install the Beta?
Yes, here’s a check list from the download website that you need to know before you install the beta:
- You are willing to participate as an active beta tester and provide feedback to help us complete Windows 7.
- You have an extra computer available to dedicate to testing beta software.
- You can back up your PC, install and reinstall Windows, and reconfigure your home network connection.
- You’re comfortable troubleshooting your own PC problems. There’s NO technical support available for the Beta.
- You understand how to burn an ISO file to a DVD using your computer’s DVD burner.
- You have a system recovery disc and know how to use it.
- You enjoy participating in an interactive community of beta testers, sharing experiences and feedback in real-time.
What are the Hardware Requirements?
These are the Microsoft minimum hardware recommendations for systems that will be running the Windows 7 Beta. These recommendations are specific to the beta release and are subject to change:
- Processor: 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor
- Memory: 1 GB of system memory
- Hard drive: 16 GB of available disk space
- Video card: Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128MB memory (in order to enable Aero theme)
- Drive: DVD-R/W drive
- Internet connection (to download the Beta and get updates)
Happy Beta testing!!!!!