Windows 7 RSAT final build available for download

The Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) for Windows 7 RTM have been released to These include the Hyper-V tools for remote management of Windows Server 2008 R2 and Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2.

You can download them from – remember to download the right architecture (x86 or x64) as necessary.

Once you install the update, you can enable one or more of the following tools from the Control Panel under Programs, Turn Windows features on or off.

Server Administration Tools:

• Group Policy Management Tools
  • Network Load Balancing Tools
  • SMTP Server Tools
  • Storage Explorer Tools
  • Storage Manager for SANs Tools
  • Windows System Resource Manager Tools

1. Vered – that build is not RTM. You can only install the final RSAT tools on Windows 7 RTM.

2. Magnus – most likely is that you are attempting to install the x64 version on x86, or visa-versa. Can you check that first? It will not matter whether Windows 7 is running virtual or physical, no check is made.

3. MGascon – the RC version has been and gone – the links have been pulled as Windows 7 has hit RTM. The only version now available for download is the RTM version which will only install on Windows 7 RTM.

4. Magnus – let me follow up internally. You probably need the debug (CHK) version of the RSAT tools to install on a CHK build of Windows. I’m not sure when (or if) these will be released – I would guess the most likely place would be on MSDN, but I can’t say with certainty without following up with the RSAT owners. Is there a reason you need to use a debug build of Windows?

5. Lachlan & EBrander – you are both running RC builds of Windows 7. The RTM version of the RSAT tools will only install on RTM builds of Windows.

6. Magnus – this is very strange and not expected. Can you confirm the contents of registry key HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionBuildLabEx and also the EditionId and ProductName keys. All in the same place. If that shows it definitely is RTM, Also the file size of the package you’re installing, and a link to where you downloaded it from. I’ll need to find some folks from the installer side for RSAT to diagnose if those check out to be the correct final bits and build.

7. Jeremy – not sure where you got that build of Windows 7 from but it is *not* RTM – to the best of my knowledge 16384 was an internal only build. RTM is 16385. You need to upgrade.

8. Hi Derick – thanks for letting me know. I’ve forwarded the info on to the RSAT owners for investigation.

9. Magnus Kling says:

Hi! I have installed Win 7 RTM  and installed it as a professional version in Suns virtualbox enviroment. Works perfect ecxept for tha RSAT part… If I download the RSAT update and runs it as an Administrator I gets an error telling me that "the update is not applicable to your computer". Do you have any answers to what is wrong with my setup? (Doesn´t windows 7 like being virtual?)

Best regards,

10. Magnus Kling says:

Thank you for a fast reply.

I have downloaded and tried both versions. With no success.

I even installed Windows 7 (32-bit) to a physical computer with an Intel T7770 processor and VT-x disabled and tried once more. The result is the same.

Perhaps the way to go is to install a full w2k8 server r2 and manage my core server from there. But it seems a bit overkill.

11. Magnus Kling says:

Here is the information.

BuildLabEx: 7600.16385.x86chk.win7_rtm.090713-1255

EditionId: Professional

ProductName: Windows 7 Professional

Using a retail key.

All downloaded from/with our MSDN/Technet subscription.

Updates taken from (same as you describe above):

Filesize : x86fre_GRMRSAT_MSU.msu =

215 MB (225 546 826 bytes)

Size on disk = 215 MB (225 550 336 bytes)

As reported when checking properties of the file.

By the way, win2k8 server R2 as Server Core with Hyper-V is working great! Easy to use and does what it should do.

12. Lachlan says:

I get the exact same issue as Magnus.

The info you asked for is:

Windows 7 Ultimate

13. EBrander says:

Having the same problem so I thought I’d answer your info request:

BuildLabEx = 7100.0.amd64fre.winmain_win7rc.090421-1700

EditionID = Ultimate

ProductName = Windows 7 Ultimate

File size of amd64fre_GRMRSATX_MSU.msu = 227,453 KB

Download from =

14. Magnus Kling says:

Thank you John for taking the time to straighten this out.

There is no reason at all to use a debug build. I will install a "real" build and test. I saw that they have changed the download page at technet with new builds.

15. MGascon says:

I’m running WIndows 7 RC also

Do know when there will be a version for RC?

16. Derick says:

I have found that most installation issues you get with this is Anti Virus related. I could not start the installation but after removing McAfee 8.7 the installation proceded with no apparent issues afterwards.

17. Vered says:

i get the same error when trying to install RSAT

i have this version of win7: 7201.0.amd64fre.winmain_win7ids.090601-1516

18. jeremy says:

I am experiencing the same issue as well. The installation appears to go thru the steps but there are no features available when I go to add them. As well, the update does not appear in programs and features as having been installed.

Relevant info.