Hyper-V RC Release Download Links

Today, the last of the download links for the Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 R2 RC (Release Candidate) release, Windows 7 client and the Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) for Windows 7 RC have gone live.

Windows Server 2008 RC Download

If you have an MSDN or Technet subscription, the download has already been live for a few days.

msdn download

As of today, you can also download directly. Follow this link and choose the “Download the RC now!” link at the top right of the page.

Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 RC Download

This is the standalone virtualization solution using the same Hyper-V technology present in Windows Server 2008 R2. It can be downloaded here.

Windows 7 RC Download

Follow this link to the TechNet Evaluation Center.

RSAT RC Download for Windows 7

The RSAT tools are packaged in KB958830 which you can obtain by following this link. Make sure you download the right architecture for your needs. Note that these require Windows 7 Client build 7100 to install successfully and do not install on Windows Vista.

rsat rc install

Once you have installed the update, to enable Hyper-V Manager, in the Control Panel, open Programs and Features. From here, choose “Turn Windows features on or off” and navigate down through Remote Server Administration Tools/Role Administration Tools and ensure Hyper-V Tools is selected.

rsat rc turn on

Note that if you have a full installation of Windows Server 2008 RC, the Hyper-V role management tools are available without enabling the Hyper-V role itself.

Cheers,
John.

Not everyone likes the chilly climate of the server room or the mesmerizing humming of racks, stuffed

The Release Candidate (RC) is now available @ http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2008R2 which

Brian – with the caveat that this reply is "to the best of my knowledge" and that plans can change and I’m not the policy maker: For server installations, RC to RTM upgrades are supported. Client may be different – I would have to refer you to http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/04/07/delivering-a-quality-upgrade-experience.aspx for more definitive guidance though. Was that post the guidance you were referring to?

Thanks,

John.

Tom – unfortunately it looks like the download links have been pulled and are no longer available. Sorry – nothing I can do there.

Thanks,

John.

Thanks,

John.

Jose – I’m not aware of a guide being available yet – I would expect that to be available at RTM. However, the only supported mechanism for upgrade is to export your VMs, flatten the box, install the new OS and re-import. In-place upgrades of the standalone Hyper-V Server product are not supported at this time.

Note that saved states are not compatible between "v1" and "v2". Therefore, you should cleanly shutdown your VMs before exporting them. It will also be the case that online snapshots are not compatible as they contain a saved state too.

Thanks,

John.

Thanks Brian – let me see what I can find out.

8. Brian Hoyt says:

Does the same guidance apply for Hyper-V standalone as Win7 in that there isn’t an upgrade path from RC to RTM and it is forced clean install?  Also wanted to say thanks for your many posts that helped get my first few servers running on Hyper-V R2.

9. Brian Hoyt says:

Actually I was referring to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/faq.aspx the question about RC to RTM.  It indicates a clean install will be required.  I haven’t found anything that clear on W2K8R2 or H-V2K8R2.  Thanks for any info.

Brian

10. jose ramada says:

I have hyper-v server 2008 running with 3 VM. How can I upgrade it to hyper-v server 2008 R2?

Do i have to export VM’s to a storage location, make the upgrade and import them again? Is there a guide on this matter?

thanks.

11. Tom says:

John-

I have Hyper-V Server 2008 installed and running happily.  I’ll upgrade to R2 when you go RTM.

My problem right now is finding the RSAT for Win 7 RC.  I have Win 7 RC running on a development machine and would like to use that to talk to my Hyper-V Server 2008.  All of Microsoft’s links are dead, including yours above.  Can you provide a link, please.  RC is good for several more months and not all of us have Technet subscriptions to get a hold of Win 7 RTM.