Hyper-V: Why does Hyper-V Manager not always work over VPN connection? Access Denied or RPC server unavailable errors.

This post examines a problem several people have reported when running Hyper-V Remote Management tools over a VPN connection  – specifically hitting an error “Access denied. Unable to establish communication between ‘SERVER’ and ‘CLIENT’”. In some variations, I’ve seen RPC errors such as “RPC server unavailable. Unable to establish communication between ‘SERVER’ and ‘CLIENT’.”

vpn1

And an example of an RPC error case:

vpn2

To be explicit up front, I am talking about this only occurring over a VPN/RAS connection – when connected using a wired or wireless connection without VPN, everything works normally. If things are not working on wired/wireless, follow my series of remote management posts to configure everything first.

Diagnosing the issue took a bit of sleuthing. So let’s dive in. A big clue is in the first message – it implies there is some form of communication between the Hyper-V enabled server and the Remote Management client. Indeed, that is correct – there is a DCOM callback. So let’s start by looking at the IP configuration on the laptop machine I’m using for this walkthrough after the VPN connection has been established.

vpn3

Note that the DHCP assigned address for the VPN connection is 192.168.200.6, and the DHCP assigned address for the Internet connection is 192.168.1.119.

Let’s run a network trace network trace on the Hyper-V enabled server to see what’s going on. I’m running the network trace while starting Hyper-V Manager on the laptop:

vpn4
The two highlighted lines show that the Hyper-V enabled server is making an attempt to connect to my local wireless IP address on my broadband connection, 192.168.1.119, rather than the DHCP assigned IP address for my machine on the internal network, 192.168.200.6.

What’s also interesting in the trace are ARP packets from the Hyper-V enabled server at 192.168.200.218 to “HPCRAPTOP”:

vpn5

Notice that the server is asking where 192.168.200.14 is, and netmon is resolving 192.168.200.14 to the IP address of the laptop. So that indicates all is not well with DNS since we know above that the DHCP assigned address on the VPN connection is 192.168.200.6. Let’s do an nslookup to examine the DNS entry for the laptop.

vpn6

Indeed, the laptop from a DNS perspective is incorrect and explains why netmon is resolving 192.168.200.14 to my laptop. (Although I didn’t mention it, I happen to know that this DNS entry, 192.168.200.14, was the IP address assigned to the laptop when it was last connected directly to the internal network.)

So as an experiment and first workaround, let’s edit \windows\system32\drivers\etc on the Hyper-V enabled server to add an entry for my laptop as 192.168.200.6, the current IPv4 address for VPN and see what happens.

vpn7

vpn8
Yes, that works. But it’s hardly what I could describe as a desirable or every-day-workable solution. If you’re walking through with me, remember to remove that entry hosts to see if there are any other workarounds.

Well there is one interesting workaround which I mentioned in my remote management configuration series. However, I absolutely do NOT recommend this one unless you really need to as you are lowering the security of your machine. Changing this setting is NOT necessary for remote management in a domain environment, but it is in a workgroup environment (my home environment I’m using for this is domain based).  Here are the settings to change in dcomcnfg on the management client:

vpn9

Why this works is related to WMI/DCOM fallback, but I’m far from claiming to be an expert here and will walk swiftly away from any further explanation. However, I re-iterate, I absolutely do not recommend you change this setting unless you need to.
So let’s step back a bit now and try and understand a bit more about the DNS issue. The obvious thing to think may be to run “ipconfig /registerdns” from an elevated command prompt on the remote management machine to correct the DNS registration. Let’s see what happens, while at the same time running a network trace on the ISA server with a filter for just the DNS protocol.

vpn10

If you’re ahead of the game, you may notice this is a very interesting capture! Maybe not if you’re aware of my home setup, so let me explain why. 192.168.15.2 is the external internet address of my ISA server (in turn connected to a VOIP router). The destination being resolved to a host with name starting ‘ns’ is my ISP’s DNS server. Looking at the frame details, you can see the packet is a DNS update request for the laptop. Unsurprisingly, if you look at the response from the ISP in packet 3949, the response is “NotAuth”. Afterall, they’re not authoritative for DNS of my domain. I am!

This routing to the external network through ISA is normal expected behaviour. So I’m still yet to find a good solution. But all is not lost (of course). Let’s take a different tactic and look a little closer at the Vista SP1 inbox VPN client configuration (as in one which hasn’t been created by what-ever the equivalent of CMAK, or Connection Manager Administration Kit, for Vista – and no, I’ve no idea what the replacement technology is. But it does remind me to do some research for another day….).

I’m assuming you’re already familiar with configuring a PPTP or L2TP VPN connection in Vista – that’s a little outside of the scope of this post. But here’s the IPv4/Properties/Advanced/DNS dialog tab of the VPN connection I’ve created to connect back to my home network. Look at the bottom three items relating to DNS registration:

vpn11

Hmmmm. These look extremely promising . Logically, it sounds like I want all three: I want to specify a DNS suffix for this connection which is that of my internal domain; Yes, I want to register the connection’s address in DNS; and I’d like to use the DNS suffix in the DNS registration. So I changed it to look like this:

vpn12
After saving the changes, let’s run that DNS-filtered network trace on the ISA server again while re-establishing the VPN connection:

vpn13

Looks good as a DNS update was sent to the internal DNS servers, not to the external ISP. It shows the update for the IPv4 address of the remote management client as 192.168.200.4 with a success response in the following packet. And ipconfig on the client?

vpn14
This confirms the trace above – the remote management client has IP address 192.168.200.4. What about an nslookup of the laptop?

vpn15
Excellent. Everything is looking rosey – the DHCP assigned IP address of the laptop acquired from the VPN connection is in DNS on the internal servers. Therefore, the Hyper-V enabled server should be able to locate the laptop when making it’s DCOM callback, so let’s fire up Hyper-V manager and see what happens:

vpn16
Voila! Hope you found that useful.

Cheers,
John.

Tristan – curious, I’ve not heard of this having been reported before. I’d be interested to see the results of use wbemtest on the client to connect to \serverrootvirtualization and run a query "select * from msvm_computersystem". You should get multiple entries back – one for the server itself, and one for each VM configured on the system. Can you confirm also if you are using SCVMM in your environment?

Thanks,

John.

Tristan – I confess to now knowing whether disabling that service has that effect. I’d still be sure though that it is a case of the server not being able to accurately resolve the IP address of the client. The wbemtest queries above only test client to server.

Can you try pinging server to client -4 byname to verify it hits the right address? Maybe worth also running a netmon trace on the server while connecting to verify that the server is attempting to callback to the right IP address of the client.

To confirm also – are you saying that wbemtest on VPN returns instances for each of the VMs, but Hyper-V Manager shows no virtual machines, and no error? However, on non-VPN, using the same account, you get a list of VMs back in both Hyper-V manager and wbemtest? VMM puts VMs into scopes which are not generally accessible unless you are authenticating as the delegated user in VMM, or the local administrator on the Hyper-V machine itself. I’m wondering if it’s actually working and not returning any virtual machines simply due to the use of VMM. If you can confirm there is a inconsistency using the same account in the VPN/non-VPN case.

Thanks,

John.

Paul – can you clarify that without VPN that remote management works correctly. What do you mean by access any of the created machines – that they do not appear in the list; they do appear but you cannot access them using VMConnect, or something else.

Thanks,

John.

Chuck – which of the two errors are you getting? If access denied, have you followed the appropriate parts for configuring remote management? Can you also confirm you have updated to Hyper-V RTM?

Thanks,

John.

Roger, thank you 🙂

Yes, this is entirely expected if a one-way trust is in place.

Thanks,

John.

Steve – no, this is still relevant.

Curiosity got the better of me. When I was analyzing why Hyper-V Remote Management didn’t always work

David A

Does this work without the SSL VPN – with the info you’ve provided about it, it’s not clear if that could be the cause. Do you have a way to connect on the same LAN directly to rule it out?

For other troubleshooting Hvremote /show reveals all. If you can post that from both server and client side; PLUS: ipconfig /all on both machines; PLUS: results of attempt to ping by name the client from server and visa-versa, it will give me the info I need to determine if it’s an external factor.

cmdkey should only have been necessary in an all workgroup config if the usernames and passwords didn’t match.

To be clear though on your current scenario – you’re now attempting to connect to a domain joined server from a workgroup vista client. It would be helpful if you could confirm if cmdkey is set correctly to authenticate with domain credentials to the server and that domain account has been granted remote access on the server.

Thanks,

John.

Jason – does this work _without_ VPN? Have you validated the DNS update is correct?

Thanks,

John.

Tristan – another option which may help diagnosis is to turn on tracing for Hyper-V Manager. If you email me using the link at the top, I can forward on instructions.

Thanks,

John.

Prahalad – This is probably your firewall (or router) blocking traffic between the LAN and DMZ. As Hyper-V manager requires callbacks from the server which are not strictly required for scripting, that is what is probably failing here. If you can’t route WMI callbacks from your DMZ back to your LAN, another option is to put the host itself on the LAN using one NIC, and the VMs in the DMZ on another NIC. In many ways, this is a more secure option regardless.

Thanks,

John.

12. Jason Carr says:

Unfortunately, the above steps didn’t quite work for us in fixing our Hyper-V over VPN.  Any further ideas?

13. Justin James says:

John –

Excellent post, and much appreciated! You saved me a zillion hours of frustration!

I made an additional discovery. After going through your steps, I was still having problems (note: there is an ISA 2006 server between my client and the Hyper-V server), but instead of timing out, I was immediately getting a "Could not connect to ‘Server Name’" error. I added an access rule to allow all traffic FROM "Internal" TO "VPN Clients", and then, in the "Filtering" dialog on the "Ports" tab, I *unchecked* the "Strict RPC Compliance" checkbox. That did the trick, and now, I can manage my network from home.

Thanks again!

J.Ja

14. JollyJoker974 says:

Thanks a lot, help me make my configuration working

But in the case of Network to Network VPN With the management client in a workgroup, I don’t find any other solution than editing the hosts file on both side.

JLO

15. paul says:

Still doesn’t work, Well at least the Virtual Machines box does not populate with machines. I can create new machines, and adjust the Hyper-V settings, just not access "any" of th ecreate machines that normally appear under the Virtual Machines window in the MMC. DNS resolve both hosts on both sides without a problem. Still getting Access denied. Unable to establish communication between….

16. AC says:

I’m getting the same error but not in a VPN solution… both machines on the same internal LAN, same subnet and both in the same domain where the logged in user is in the domain admins group. Is there anything special you need to do in order to connect?

17. Chuck says:

I’m also getting this error message in a non-VPN situation and it’s driving me insane, espically since I can use some of the other MMCs on the box. I can browse the hard drive of the box via the Import VM wizard but I can’t actually manage them or finish creating a new one.

18. Jason says:

Why is hyper-v so user hostile when in a non domain environment. I have been a proponent of virtualization for a long time and run an ESX farm at work. I decided to give Hyper-V a test run but OMG, without a domain its a nightmare. Comparing it to ESX/ESXi is a joke as I can have ESXi up and running, without a MS domain, in 5 min off a usb stick and connecting to NFS/iSCSI storage. Add an extra 5 min to download the management tools which are included with the installed product (no chasing broken links and reason why your package will not install) and you are golden and with no DCOM hacks.

19. Leo says:

I would like to point out that DNS must be set set up correctly. If the Hyper-v machine name does not match the DNS name you will not be able to connect.

To roule out any DNS problems it helpt for me to disable the DNS entry in Networkcard and flush dns.

20. alex says:

Justin James:

Thank you very much for the hint regarding ISA rpc filtering.

This is absolutely necessary and did the trick for me!

Alex

21. Kevin K. says:

This is not the only cause of this problem.  If you are running in a more secured environment, the computer account of the Hyper-V server must have the "access this computer from the network" permission on the client system.  This is not a problem with a out of the box Vista config, but for us folks that must run things like FDCC, it causes issues.  Just to note, we had the same issue when running the SMS console as well.

22. David A. says:

Thanks for the blog and utils. Still having a time of it. Running hyper-v server. I built the server at home with no domain. Got all the tools running finally using your tools, I did have to use the cmdkey utility to get the hyper-v management tool to work, even though both weren’t in a domain. (vista x86 laptop)

I moved the server back into the domain, and tried to go through all the same steps. Trying to manage it remotely through an SSL vpn from a non-domain laptop. I updated the domain dns to point requests for laptop back to the correct IP.

I edited the hosts file on the server to do the same. I reran cmdkey. I can remotely connect with Computer Management and do most things without trouble. I get the RPC services cannot be contacted on my hyper-v server from the Hyper-V manager.

I can RDP into the hyper-v box from vista

I can use Computer Management from vista to Hyper-v

hyper-v manager doesnt work though with the rpc error.

Any clues?

many thanks

23. David A. says:

I have had a heck of a time getting this going. I first built w/no domain and the only way i could get remote management going was to use cmdkey, even though both machines weren’t attached to the domain.

I then moved the hyper-v server into the domain, and tried to connect remotely from the same vista laptop and got the rpc errors. Connecting over an SSL VPN. I updated the internal dns to resolve the laptops hostname. Now i get, you do not have the required permissions.

any ideas?

24. Mark Underhill says:

Thanks a lot. After following the instructions I still got access denied (connecting workgroup Vista to domain HyperV) until I used the "cmdkey /add:ServerComputerName /user:ServerComputerNameUserName /pass" command. Instead of servernameusername in the /user: section I use domainusername – and then it all worked.

Thanks

Mark

25. Bo Eschricht says:

A comment – this problem might also occur if the client machine is assigned a new IP address and the Hyper-V server still uses the old IP address. In that case you might want to run ipconfig /flushdns on the Hyper-V host.

Cheers

26. TPickhan says:

Hello everyone! Very nice and helpfull post. My config is a windows 7 domain client and a hyper-v domain server. When I’m inside of our company netwok everthing is fine with the remote management of the hyper-v server. Now I am at home and connected with vpn over an ISA 2006. With the help of your articel it is possible to connect with the remote mmc to the hyper-v server. After I take the neccessary changes for ISA Server 2006 (disable RPC filter), I get the hyper-v server in the mmc, can create new guest systems, check virtual harddrives and so on. But I don’t see any virtual guest system in the middel console window. There is only a message "RPC Server unavaible. Unable to establish RPC connection between Server and Client." I think it is the same problem like Paul descibes above. Perhaps somebody can help me.

27. Steve says:

Thanks a lot! I am also having the excact same problem as TPickhan. I can edit the settings in Hyper-V, but i cannot view any of hte machines and am getting the RPC error.

28. George Ou says:

I’ve tried everything, and I’m still having these errors even though I’m on the same LAN (no VPN) between the Hyper-V management client and the Hyper-V Server 2008.  I’m in an all workstation environment without a Windows Domain Controller (just a consumer grade router with DNS on it).

Both machines can resolve each other just fine on the local LAN though it is not via DNS but broadcast discovery.  I’ve even disabled the firewall on both machines, run the HVremote commands, and I still get these "unable to establish connection" errors.  I’m at wit’s end here!

29. Hi John,

I’m having the same problem as described above after following your suggestions. Actually, I also needed to flush dns on the Hyper-V server to pick up the newly-rtegistered addres and then the behaviour changed from the RPC error to the "No virtual machines were found on this server" error described by TPickhan and Steve above. I’m connnecting from Hyper-V Manager on Windows Server 2008 R2 Build 7100 to Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 Build 7100. RDP connects fine. All works normally when connected normally, the behavior only occurs over VPN. I can change Hyper-V server settings but can’t see any of the child partitions over VPN.

Thanks,

Tristan

30. Tristan Watkins says:

Hi John,

Sorry about the delayed reply and thanks very much for your help. Yes, we are using SC VMM 2008 in our environment and I believe this server is VMM-managed, but I am not presently a user of VMM on this network so I can’t confirm. I should be able to arrange tests if needed though.

I tried the WBEMTEST query and I’m getting the seven results for the parent and the six children as you describe. The parent returns the server name and the children have GUIDs for names. Is this what you would expect? Can you suggest anything else?

Cheers,

Tristan

31. Tristan Watkins says:

Oh, and I thought I should mention that I disabled the DNS cache (the DNS client service) on the Hyper-V server in order to eliminate the need for DNS flushing

32. Tristan Watkins says:

Hi John,

Yeah, stopping (disabling) the DNS Client service has that effect: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318803

I found it was necessary to make this change on the Hyper-V server so that it would always pick up the newly registered IP address of my client machine when it registers its new address after logging on via VPN. Previously it would still have the old non-VPN address in its cache. This step is merely a convenience to avert the need for an IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS on the Hyper-V server immediately after connecting the client to the VPN. I follow that it is independent from the WBEMTEST results.

The ping tests confirmed that it was resolving to the old non-VPN IP address *prior to the DNS cache fix I describe above*. After making this fix the behaviour switched from "RPC server unavailable" error to not enumerating the VMs in the console. The scenario is as you describe above. WBEMTEST enumreates the child VMs and the root while Hyper Manager only allows managment of the root settings. There is no error per se. Hyper-V Manager attempts to connect. It quicky connects to the root and the Actions menu changes to reveal the new actions accociated with the root partition. However, the child partitions are never enumerated in the Virtual Machines pane. After about half a minute or so (from recollection) the "No virtual machines were found on this server" message appears.

When connecting normally this isn’t a problem. This is only a problem when connecting over VPN.

Unfortunately I’m not sure how I’ll run Netmon from the Hyper-V server since it is the Hyper-V Server edition, and therefor Core. Maybe that’s possible and I’m just not aware of how to do it???

I think your VMM suggestion makes sense. I’ll persue that line of troubleshooting and let you know how we get on, as we have only recently introduced SC VMM on this network.

Thanks again for all of your help with this.

Cheers,

Tristan

33. Tristan Watkins says:

Hi John,

Have you received my troublehooting information or have you had any other thoughts about this? We’re continuing to have problems and since the server is Hyper-V Server our only option is to connect via Hyper-V Manager remotely – we can’t log in over RDP and then launch the tool as a work-around (unless I’m missing how that’s done).

As I mentioned in the e-mails, the Client Trace config didn’t produce any files and we can’t connect from the VMM administrator console since this server is just managed by VMM – it’s not a VMM server. We also can’t use HVRemote since it is VMM managed.

Since a few other people seem to have had this problem above and since WBEMTEST seems to indicate that this *should* work, is it safe to assume this is a bug in Hyper-V Manager or the MMC? If so, can we expect a patch?

Thanks,

Tristan

34. Thomas Vollert says:

The solution will not work with Windows Server 2008 RRAS. The VPN Client is registered in DNS with his correct DNS address he gets from DHCP or fix address pool. The problem is the client sits in a specific subnet which is not reachable from LAN. So the DCOM request will not find the IP maintained in DNS. I found no possibility to open a connection from LAN to an VPN client. This was the end. I run the Management console on a local PC on LAN and connect via Remote Desktop.

35. Ian-7890 says:

Yes, I am getting the same problem as Tristan.  I initially had an RPC error in the Hyper-V console to my remote network Hyper-V Hosts, but partially solved this via creating a new ISA Server rule to my Hyper-V hosts that disabled "Enforce Strict RPC Compliance".

As with Tristan, the Hyper-V console now appears to connect correctly, however no VMs are displayed.

Curiously though, Tore Lervik’s excellent Hyper-V Monitor Vista/7 gadget shows all the remote hosts including their VMs!!  However when trying to initiate a connection to the remote VM through the Hyper-V gadget, the following error msg is displayed: "An error occured when trying to register for IME events for ‘VWSAPPXXXXX’. The operation on computer ‘WSVIRT0009’ failed."

36. Ian-7890 says:

Sorry, I should add a bit more info:

Client is Win 7 RC x64, but have tried this on Win Vista x86 w SP1 with same result.

Hyper-V host is running Windows Server 2008 SP2 Enterprise, and is being managed by SC VMM 2008 (RTM) on Win 2k8 Std x64 w SP1.  SC VMM works fine, including previewing the VM console display.

However, Hyper-V manager does not work, as explained in the above post.

Client and Hyper-V host server are both on Windows domain.  All connection worked fine when client and host were in same office in same subnet.  Now host is in a datacenter connected via permanent site to site VPN, only IP addresses have changed.

Using "cscript hvremote.wsf /show /target:wsvirt0009" from client passes first six steps but fails at step 7 with error:

FAIL – Notification query failed The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.

Pinging host (short name) from client works fine.

Pinging client (short name) from Hyper-v host works fine.

Client (my PC) is a desktop that is powered on 24/7 and my IP address despite being DHCP never changes, so I don’t think it is a stale or mismatched DNS issue.

Cheers,

Ian

37. Richard Harvey says:

Hi,

This dns fix works ok for me, but I left off the dns suffix details as they are both in the same domain.

Thanks,  Richard

38. Chris Porosky says:

Excellent job – worked like a charm!

39. prahalad says:

Hi John,

I have the same situation except that I see this in a perimeter host. First I get the RPC error then if I refresh, I see the "No virtual machines" error. interestingly , I can create and change Virtual networks, look and inspect vhd’s but the actual VM never shows up. Any ideas?

Another interesting this is I can see the vm using powershell/wmi scripting.

My environment

Hyper-V manager in side LAN on a Win 2008 R2

Host and VM in a DMZ running Win 2008 R2.

Any pointer is greatly appreciated.

Prahalad

40. prahalad says:

Hi John,

Another interesting this is I can see the vm using powershell/wmi scripting.

My environment

Hyper-V manager inside LAN on a Win 2008 R2

Host and VM in a DMZ running Win 2008 R2.

Any pointers in resolving this is greatly appreciated.

Prahalad

41. Roger says:

First of all. Thank you for a wonderfull tool.

In our environment, where the Hyper-V host is in a separate AD forest with a one-way trust from the remote management computer, we had to enable anonymous dcom on the client. The trust restricted the hyper-v host to authenticate to the client.

When trying cscript hvremote.wsf /show /target:hyper-v-host from the client, we got an error on test 7 (async notification query).

Running cscript hvremote.wsf /anondcom:grant on the client resolved the issue, on both LAN, WLAN and VPN connections.

This sadly reduces the security of the client, so we’re not sure wheter we’re going to keep this configuration or not.

Environment:

Win 2008 R2 Datacenter Hyper-V host, member of trusting AD forest

Win7 remote management computer, member of trusted AD forest

Roger

42. Robert Veendorp (NL) says:

With ISA 2006 you should create 2 rules (1st from VPN clients to HVS and 2nd HVS to VPN clients) and then right click on each rule and deselect 'enforce strict RPC compliance'.

43. Levis Parker says:

I'm having essentially the same problem; here are my specific details:

• Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 -64 on an Intel DP55 (current generation) motherboard

• No teaming, no VPN, all remote management services enabled

• All machines members of my Domain which works fine in all aspects; DNS servers set to DC

• Management via a fresh Windows 7 machine, which seems to behave normally in all ways

I was able to create a VM via the onboard NIC. After I then configured a virtual network, the VM immediately froze and timed out. When I tried to reconnect, I got "The computer <computer name> failed to perform the requested operation because the RPC call failed."

Could not RDP or Server Manager into the Hyper-V machine.

Then I installed a second NIC in the Hyper-V server machine. Connecting via that NIC, everything works fine, creating a virtual network, adding both NICs to the VM's hardware config, running the VM, everything.

When I unplug the PCI NIC and plug in the onboard NIC, it's back to the same problem.

I ran the "Netsh firewall set opmode disable" on the Hyper-V server machine, turning off its firewall. Now when I try to connect to the the Hyper-V machine via its onboard NIC I get a new error:

"Cannot connect to the RPC server on <%machine>. Make sure your RPC service is running."

When I use the PCI NIC instead, everything still works fine.

Clues greatly appreciated, thanks.

44. ML49448 says:

Check your firewall specifically for port 135 TCP streams coming from you Hyper-v Server.

45. Steve says:

Unfortunately these posts are extremely old (2011) so I suspect that a lot of this is irrelevant or has been fixed in the current release.  (I hope).  We have had a few similar issues here with a single user, however the configuration appears to be setup correctly on the client.  At this point, we are monitoring to see if it continues to be an issue.

Btw, I love the machine name of his test machine used in the examples above.  hpcraptop!

Steve