Vista SP1 Management Tools for Hyper-V RC0 download links

Update: 26th June 2008. Hyper-V RTM is now available. RC0 is pre-release software.

The Vista SP1 Management Tools for Hyper-V RC0 are now available for download. These include Hyper-V Manager, the MMC management console, and Virtual Machine Connection, which provides a remote console for virtual machines. After installation, Hyper-V Manager is available under Administrative Tools on the control panel. There is no direct shortcut created for Virtual Machine Connection.

In Windows Vista, Administrative Tools are not, by default available on the Start menu. However, if you right-click the Start button, choose properties and then click customize next to the Start menu option, down the bottom of the list is the option to "Display on the All Programs menu and the Start menu".

DisplayAdminTools

Download the appropiate version according to the architecture of your Vista SP1 machine:

x86: Update for Windows Vista (KB949758)
x64: Update for Windows Vista x64 Edition (KB949758)

Windows Vista SP1 information and download links can be found here.

Please take a look at KB949758 for further information on this download, and KB949219 and my previous blog entry for further information on Hyper-V RC0 itself.

Cheers,
John.

After the many emails I’ve had about this, it seemed only appropriate to write up a detailed post about

Predseda3D – you must use Business, Enterprise or Ultimate for the management tools. I believe the install will silently fail on Home SKUs.

John.

Joel – yes, enable the Remote Server Administration Tools feature, and install the x86 version of the RC0 MSU on the x86 "client" server machine. Hyper-V Manager will be present under Administrative Tools.

Cheers,

John.

Joel – Thanks for posting. The reason suddently becomes clear – you are running Windows Server 2008 *without Hyper-V*. The management client will not install on these SKUs.

Prasath

You should be using the RTM version of the client components which is KB952627 if using Vista.

However, Hyper-V is a role in Windows Server 2008, not Vista. You can use the Vista client components to connect to another server which has the role installed. You do not need to enable VT on the client to remotely manage the server, and it does not matter whether the client machine is 32 or 64 bit. The server though has to have VT turned on and be running the 64 bit version of Windows Server 2008 (and have KB950050 installed on it too – the RTM update for Hyper-V).

John.

Joel – Hyper-V Manager should be present if RSAT is enabled. I’m wondering if there is a bug if RSAT is enabled before applying the update. Can you try removing the RSAT feature and then re-enabling it. Does Hyper-V manager appear in Administrative tools then? (I’ll try this tomorrow to confirm). Can you also verify that KB950049 does appear under view installed updates in the control panel under programs and features?

PS. Seattle (Redmond) is pretty nice right now 🙂

Yes, this is by design and note it is the "without Hyper-V" specific SKU, not generically Windows Server 2008. If you are not launching the Hypervisor (ie with the Hyper-V role enabled), there is no difference in power management capabilities in Server 2008 so you should be able to install a with Hyper-V SKU to enable remote management in your scenario.

John.

Prasath – no, VPC2007 supports machines both with and without hardware virtualization capability and can take advantage of it if it is available.

Matt – I believe RC0 and RC1 have now been pulled since RTM is now available. Please follow the update section at the top of this post where you can find details of the RTM release.

John.

Jerrold – RC0 is pre-release. Please try the RTM version, just in case (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952627), but I’ve not heard of this issue on RC0 though.

After installation, Hyper-V Manager should be present under the control panel/Administrative Tools. You can also access them from program filesHyper-V. If they’re not there, can you email me the cbs.log file from windowslogscbs. Please validate first that you are actually on Vista SP1 by checking the registry key under HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionBuildLabEx.

Can you also confirm which SKU of Vista you have – home/home premium/business/enterprise/ultimate etc.

John.

Steve – Follow the "updated" link at the very top of this post – this post refers to pre-release bits.

John.

Joel – MSU is the file extension of the update when you download it from the download centre. (Note that you really need the RC1 bits now that they’re out 🙂 ). Once you download the x86 management tools, Hyper-V Manager will be in Administrative Tools if
    RSAT has been enabled. The RC1 management tool download for x86 is

Cheers,

John.

Koko – follow the links at the very top of the post to the RTM updates. RC0 was a pre-release version of Hyper-V.

John.

hima bindu – no, this is not possible. You need to install an OS SKU which supports Hyper-V.

John.

Joel – This is slightly odd. Are you sure it’s not right at the bottom of the list when you go into Add Features, expand out Remote Server Administration ToolsRole Administrator Tools? Alphabetically, it’s incorrect (long story), but Hyper-V Tools should be just after Windows Deployment Services Tools.

John.

Akhilesh – you should add 952627 which is the RTM Vista management pack.

John.

Prasath – Hyper-V is only present in Windows Server 2008. You should look at Virtual PC 2007 if you need to run a Microsoft virtualization solution on a client operating system.

18. Toby Brown says:

Download links don’t seem to be live yet.

19. ashridah says:

Yeah, they went away, and then came back a while later for me. Try them again?

Personally, I’m having trouble getting the tools to connect. It sits around a while, and then eventually times out claiming it can’t talk to the RPC service. I’ve got exceptions in the firewall in place for the remote management services and the remote admin services are up and running, but no joy so far.

Of course, I’m hardly a windows admin expert atm, so it might just be a config issue on my part.

20. ashridah says:

Ah, yes. Config problem on my end. needed an open port on the client as well.

21. Joel Mansford says:

Is there a client for Windows Server 2008?  Sounds silly but as the workstation I use is x86 and thus non-hyper-V there’s no role option for it ,and the x86 vista client says not for this version!?

22. Joel Mansford says:

John, I have the Remote Server Admin Tools feature installed.

What specifically do you mean by RC0 ‘MSU’ ? I installed the

KB949219 update which installed but didn’t do anything obvious so I guess that isn’t it!

Thanks in advance,

Joel.

23. Joel Mansford says:

John,

Sorry I thought MSU was an abbreviation for something else – didn’t make the association with MSI.

Since my original post I’ve freshly installed Server 2008 Standard (x64) – MSDN.  I had already installed RSAT for managing Active Directory, DHCP and DNS.

As per your link I then installed the x64 version of KB950049 from

This installed fine, and I rebooted as prompted.

There’s nothing new under Administrative Tools nor under Add Feature in "Feature Administration Tools" or "Role Administration Tools".

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Joel.

P.S. Weather is grim here in Reading.

24. Joel Mansford says:

I did as requested: removed RSAT, reboot, added RSAT (noted no Hyper-V option in the features dialog but added ADU&C, DHCP and DNS as that’s what I use).  Then I rebooted nothing hyper-v related under Administrative tools.

KB950049 is listed under Installed Updates.

Joel.

…I’m sure you’re missing the UK already…

25. Joel Mansford says:

Just double-checked and definitely not there.  I’ve put a screenshot here:

Cheers,

Joel.

26. Joel Mansford says:

Is that how the release version is going to be?  Seems a bit strange that you could install it on Vista but not from Server 2008.

I run the non-hyper-V release as I am running this on a laptop and need the power management features.  I use Server 2008 as I find it a much better workstation / development OS than Vista.  I know I’m in the minority in this usage of the OS though.

Bit of a shame but I guess I’ll go back to using RDP.

Thanks for clearing it up though.

Joel.

27. matt says:

Can anyone point me to a place to download KB949758 that actaully works?

28. Jerrold Morris says:

All the tools installed on Vista SP1 except for Hyper-v Manager.  I’ve redownloaded and reinstalled several times, then checked to be sure all the tools are checked to install but I still do not get the manager.  Do you have any suggestions?  I’ve got a month old HP 64 bit machine that came with Vista SP1 and I’ve installed windows updates as they been issued.

Thanks!

29. Predseda3D says:

Hi,

i have same problem as Jerrold Morris. I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32 bit.

BuildLabEx=6001.18145.x86fre.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612

Installed KB952627. But cannot find Hyper-V manager anywhere. In MMC is not as snap-in, under Program Files is not too.

In logs, there is that all update installed succesfully.

I am sending now you the cbs.log file via email.

Thanks for reply

30. kwhite says:

@jhoward

Good thing msft mentions that in the sys reqirements! yeargh!

"Supported Operating Systems: Windows Vista Service Pack 1" — from download page

31. Predseda3D says:

Thanks for your reply.

On download page of KB952627 is only Vista with Service Pack 1.

Funny thing is, that RSAT, which is only for Busines, Enterprise or Ultimate, works perfectly with Home Premium.

I dont understand, why is Home SKUs not supported. Its only remote management, nothing more. Its like remote desktop.

32. Rob says:

I am getting the same error on windows vista home SP1,  Is it not supported by MS Hyper-V MMC ?

If so, seems MS left that part out..

33. Akhilesh Bhargav says:

I installed  x86: Update for Windows Vista (KB949758)  …… But the hyper v manager icon is not found in the administrative tools…. Plz can any1 help me

34. Prasath says:

Dear Akhilesh– i am using Vista business 32 bit SP1 – , with that i installed the  "KB952627" ,     then i got Hyper-v manager window , in that icant able to creat the Virtual Machine ,              an error is comeing as     "Hyper-V is not beeen installed on computer "Localhost" " also i confirmed the VT option is enabled in bios ….. one morw i tried to downoad the "KB949758 " , i can’t able to find the update in site …….. so kinldy help to get the calrity on the above issue …. how can i enable hardware level VT in vista OS (Either 32 bit or 64 bit ) ….

35. Prasath says:

Dear akhilesh………. One more can u share u rmail id . will post the screen shot of error occureing for me in sbprasath@hotmail.com

36. Prasath says:

Dear Jhoward………….thanks for above response ….I think I am confused my requirement in the previous msg…. let I will clear my requirement,  "hardware level VT in desktop PC with desktop OS"

I got a new Intel based desktop machine with hardware level VT Enabled, with that I am using Vista OS,  I want to create a hardware level virtual machine in my desktop … to utilize the hardware level VT resource in my desktop machine………. As we known the VM ware utility to caret the virtual machine in desktop system……. But my point is VM ware will not use the hardware level VT…….. I want to create Virtual machine in my desktop machine with desktop OS (XP or vista) which should utilize the Hardware level VT

37. Prasath says:

Dear Johward…… Any other application or utility is available in order to utilize the hardware level VT resource in desktop system with Desktop OS   ……….

As my final query is I want to load to two desktop OS (XP & Vista) in desktop machine which has hardware level VT ….. is only way Virtual PC or any other way is there ….. plz provide your suggestion……….. and my thinking is Virtual PC does not utilize the hardware level VT  …. is my thinking is wright or worng

38. Prasath says:

Dear Johward…… Thanks for your suggestion, i am using the Virtual PC 2007, in that i found an option as “Hardware Virtualization” as Enabled if i enable the VT option under CMOS……….. if I disable the VT Under CMOS, then under the VT it is showing as Hardware Virtualization is not available  ………….. Thanks

39. hima bindu says:

hiii

Can i install hyper v role on windows server 2008 with out Hyper v?

40. koko says:

none of the links are working? microsoft website reports page missing etc

41. Steve says:

The Vista SP1 Management Tools Update will not install if the original is not installed ("this update does not apply to your system.")  Do you have a link to the original tools?