Shadow Copy failures: Scheduled task fails with General page initialization failed, error 0x8007000d.

I've rippled through quite a few nagging problems since my server failure at home a few weeks ago. One of the more intriguing problem I only noticed a couple of days ago. One server had not been running scheduled Shadow Copies. When you schedule shadow copies in Windows Server 2003 R2, not suprizingly it sets up a normal Windows Scheduled Task with name ShadowCopyVolume{volume} as shown below.

But, as you can see, it's never run and has status "Could not start". If you double click the task, you get the error "General page initialization failed. The specific error is 0x8007000d: The data is invalid". Once you dismiss the dialog, you see the normal task details, but cannot edit the user field (greyed out and blank). You could however create manual shadow copies, so that pretty much narrowed it down to a problem with the scheduled task rather than shadow copies itself.

Some searching on Technet and the MS Knowledgebase drew a blank (or at least nothing appearing to be directly relevant). There's an article here which gives some information which is close but only allows you to setup the task again with a domain account. I didn't want to do that as the Shadow Copy scheduled task is supposed to run under the NT AUTHORITYSYSTEM account.

However, I bow to Anil's greater knowledge from his blog entry here, specifically the update part at the end. Indeed, deleting C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication
DataMicrosoftCryptoRSAS-1-5-18d42cc0c3858a58db2db37658219e6400_xxxx", deleting the scheduled task, disabling shadow copies and setting it back up again with a schedule creates it correctly.

Thanks Anil!

[This post travelled in time. John is offline for a few days. It may take a while before any comments are published.]

Update June 2008. Apologies, the screenshots are lost in time.

Comments (23)

  1. ITRedFerret says:

    Thanks for this tip. Just had exactly the same problem with shadow copies not running on Server 2003 R2. Copies now running. 🙂

  2. justin says:

    YOU ARE THE MAN… I have been searching for hours trying to fix all my scheduled tasks, they all had this problem. The fix is indeed:

    DELETE ->

    C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication


  3. alex says:

    Thanks a lot.

    had the same troubles after moving a server from domain to domain.

    Deleting the files in there did solve the problem.

    Even MS Knowledgebase did not have that solution.

    Thanks again and greetings from switzerland


  4. Anil John says:

    Any time! Glad I could help 🙂

  5. Sean Deuby says:

    Wow, talk about serendipity. I had "figure out what the @#$@#% is wrong with Shadow Copies" on my home data server tonight, and I have many better things to do. Just before I started, I decided to stall by looking through your past blog entries as I’ve recently subscribed via NewsGator. Voila!

    <Twilight Zone Theme>



  6. Bruce Hartley says:

    Great thanks.

    Fixed the problem for me.

    Think it got broken when I demoted a domain controller to be a normal server.

  7. Dan Trower says:

    Thanks so much for the posting this info.  This helped me with fix my problem.  

  8. Mike Becker says:

    Thanks for this man, you just saved me many hours and much vodka from frustration. Worked like a charm 🙂

  9. Frank says:

    Thanks, man!

    Good information is rare in some cases. Yours was very valuable today!

  10. mike says:

    Great … Thanks … Fixed my problem

  11. Steve says:

    Wow!  That worked like a charm.  I’m so glad that you had this information available. Thanks so much!

  12. sdaf says:

    youre cool! thanx from russian village golievo!

  13. Simon says:

    Great fix – very obscure!

    Mine broke when promoting a server to a DC.

  14. Steve says:

    I noticed that there was an unknown account with security priveleges to that file before I deleted it.  Similar to another poster…I think mine broke when I promoted to a DC.  This is a permissions issue.  The old machine accounts are gone, but the settings that refer to them are still hanging around in the scheduled tasks.  Thanks very much for posting this.  Immensely helpful.

  15. lee says:

    I think mine broke when I demoted the server from a DC to a member server.  This fixed it though. Thank you for sharing the fix with us!!

  16. Adam Browne says:

    You legend. I also demoted a 2003 machine from FP/DC to just FP. This seems to have worked!

  17. ML49448 says:

    Thank you!

    This was the one and only that helped me after a long web sdearch….

  18. Matt says:

    Well at least someone was paying attention in class. Works great. Thanks a bunch.

  19. servergoboom says:

    Thanks for doing all the leg work on this one, John. We had a client call in with this exact problem and luckily after some mad googling I found this post.

  20. GS says:

    Great Fix

  21. Flesz says:

    Thanks a lot. that worked!

Skip to main content