Outlook calendars – display multiple timezones

I’ve just got out from a meeting and after a colleague happened to display their calendar on the projector noticed something which (for me at least) is really dead useful. I never knew you could display more than one timezone on your Outlook calendar simultaneously. I regularly have online meetings with people based over in Seattle, and although I know they are always 8 hours out from me, this is a bit of a no-brainer option to make things even more obvious.

Open up the calendar in Outlook (BTW did you know the keyboard shortcut Control-2 does this too – I use it all the time), right click above the time column and select Change Time Zone. Provide a label for your current timezone (GMT in my case), and add a second timezone (PST is the most appropriate for me).

Click OK, and Outlook looks like this.

Love it. Sooo simple.

1. Steve Lamb says:

That’s great – thanks John – my brain struggles to subtract eight from GMT – now I’ll have a couple of spare cells to use for something useful!

2. Blake Handler says:

AND it’s really easy to switch between the time zones too!

1) Right-Click on the Time Zone columns

2) Select "Change Time Zone"

3) Click "Swap Time Zones"

I too recently blogged about this and a few other TimeZone tips. . .

3. abhishek says:

the 2 time zones are cool. i get to work with team spread in more than 2 countries. is there a way by which we can get more than 2 time zones in outlook calendar?

4. Unfortunately 2 is the limit in Outlook 2003. I haven’t had a chance to play with Office 12 early beta’s yet, but maybe that’s something on the list from the product group… Will have to check it out when I get the time 🙂

5. Marc Liron - Microsoft MVP says:

…man that was a useful tip!

No more double checking http://www.time.gov 🙂

Kind Regards

Marc Liron

Microsoft MVP (UK)

Windows Digital Media

6. Adrian Collins says:

Excellent tip! That’ll save me quite a bit of time when recording company webinars in the diary. Now, if only my PDA could do the same..

7. Franz-Peter Tschechtelin says:

I was aware how to show 2 timezones, but you get my vote also to be able to show more than 2 timezones.

Franz-Peter / HP