New research into why Soda drinks are bad for your teeth

Everyone knows that fizzy drinks are bad for your teeth. However, after extensive research (OK, so 8 days being over in America), I have a new theory. The first couple of days I was out there drinking “Soda”, I kept hitting my gum onto my teeth every time I took a sip of coke. I figured I was just jet-lagged, but I discovered the reason. The American can is 12 fl oz’s (355 ml), where as the standard UK can is 330ml. Hence, the US can was ever so slightly taller. Very strange, and I’d love to know the reason why this is?

So given how blogging is a truly global phenomena, please comment as to “how big is yours”.

Here’s a picture of a couple of US cans. I would have added a UK can, but it’s 2 in the morning and I don’t have one to hand (yes, I’m jet-lagged coming back the other way).

1. Dean Harding says:

375mL in Australia.

Dunno why they’re different sizes, probably some historical reason or something…

2. Douglas Stockwell says:

Here in Australia they are 375ml!

3. The stupid american says:

What is a "ml"? 😉

4. DarkWan says:

325 ml in Malaysia. Maybe because peoples here is shorter

(Malaysia is in South East Asia, in the north of Singapore, surrounded by Thailand, Indonesia and Philippines)

5. John Howard [MSFT] says:

LOL @ "the stupid american".

Reminds me of the customs officer at Chicago who thought he had heard of Microsoft and the quote from him "Gee, they’re a pretty big company aren’t they?" 😉

6. Uwe Keim says:

The reason surely is some insane EU law…

7. P. says:

In Belgium cans are 330 ml.

8. Sushant Bhatia says:

I believe that in Malawi its 350ml. Those cans come from South Africa though. In malawi we get the bottles. 🙂

9. Luka says:

In Sweden it’s 330 ml. I guess it’s the same across Europe, or at least the EU.

10. Snorrk says:

Iceland – 330 ml. AND we have both Diet Coke and Coke Light..

11. William Luu says:

Another Aussie here, 375mL cans are the norm ‘ere 🙂

Should we be sending Aussie cans over to the US and UK then, since they appear to be getting slightly "ripped off" 😉

12. Joku says:

I think it is bcz "your favorite soda company" does not actually make the crap, some other, local company does it – they just license the recipe or something like that.. And I guess they tell the soda company: if u want us to make the cans the way u like, u buy us the new machines – anyway we happen to be the soda monopoly in this country, so you just have no choice.

Can’t think of how could I bridge the soda monopoly we have here to MS though 🙂

13. Tarzilla says:

Here in Canada they are 355ml, however I’ve been drinking Coke C2 lately, but how can Coke get away with selling 8 cans of C2 in a case for the same price as 12 cans of the regular Coke. It can’t possible cost them more to make it?

14. Jeff Parker says:

Actually my can is the 2 Liter jugs. Ok so I am a programmer.

Anyway buying soda in the can as many cans as I would drink a day, 5-6 cans, well that costs about $3-$4, where I can get the same amount of fluid every day for a $1 2 Liter. So I am not sure on Can size here but Mountain Dew from the Big Jug is the only way to go for me.

15. jake says:

that little of a difference should not be noticable so please quit complaining!!!

16. John Howard [MSFT] says:

Wasn’t complaining – just observing 🙂 It was just one of those things that I’d never heard of before….