One of the great features of Windows Vista is it’s integrated search engine which allows you to find all those bits and bytes on your computer. But in the last week I found this interesting little tidbit. Windows Search 4.0 was quietly released for free download for Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003. This one kind of came under the radar a bit so I thought I would give it a go and install. Well to my surprise my machine seems to be faster! And of course search is a whole lot faster. But in a nutshell this is what the new version has to offer.
- Improvements in performance and stability of the indexer
- Fuller complement of Group Policy settings, available on all supported operating systems
- Fast sorting and grouping of results in Windows Explorer
- Indexing improvements in online e-mail
- Ability to index delegate mailboxes for online e-mail
- Support for indexing (local file system) encrypted documents
- Expanded ability to perform fast remote queries of file shares, including those on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. This includes automatic indexing of shared folders.
- Item previews in Windows Explorer for Windows XP
So this is one of those things that kind of sits under the covers quietly plugging away but it’s nice to see the search team has made such an improvement.
Check out the download today! I’ve put it on all my machines!