How to redirect Serial Ports in Windows Server 2012 RDS/VDI

This tip came to me from a question someone posed internally that we had to find an answer for by hunting someone down Smile.

This property isn’t exposed in Server Managers’ UI, so you can set it by calling this powershell command:

Set-RDVirtualDesktopCollectionConfiguration –CollectionName <farm> –CustomRdpProperty “redirectcomports:i:1”

Now the Remote Desktop Client will redirect its COM1 port to the Server.  Why is this needed?  Think Serially connected devices such as say, Smart Card readers, for instance.

Hope this helps!

The Dude

Yeah let me check.

You don't use < and > around My EMR Advantage

If you have spaces use quotes, sorry I should have been clear in my post.

Jeff, we are having the same issues. Is there anyway to contact you direct?

3. AndyOsho says:

Jeff…

Hope you get this…I am having some difficulties getting this to work in my Win Srv 2012 RDS environment.

Can you elaborate what input is required here to make it run…

I get:

PS C:Usersasalm> Set-RDVirtualDesktopCollectionConfiguration -CollectionName <My EMR Advantage> -CustomRdpProperty "redirectcomports:i:1"

At line:1 char:61

+ Set-RDVirtualDesktopCollectionConfiguration -CollectionName <My EMR Advantage> – …

+                                                             ~

The '<' operator is reserved for future use.

+ CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : RedirectionNotSupported

Your help would be great as this smart card reader is giving me lots of headaches!

Thanks in advance.

4. Brian Casteel says:

This begs a different question from me. With this PS command, COM1 is redirected, but what about a driver-required device on the client being set to COM9 (POS PinPAD, for example), that must be redirected through on that port?

Will the RemoteFX USB device Redirection fulfill this need?

5. irfan says:

Anybody who try to run this command on his deployment has to run it on the Connection Broker server.

If you want to run it on one of your host servers then just add one more parameter to the end; -ConnectionBroker "FQDN"

If your environment is session based you have to use Set-RDSessionCollectionConfiguration instead of Set-RDVirtualDesktopCollectionConfiguration. Rest of the command is same.

PS: Don't forget to run powershell as admin!

6. james says:

Hi,

I'm currently wondering if it is possible to redirect specific com ports on the client machine to specific comports on a terminal server running Server 2012 which have consistant port mappings with each different session from the client to the server

7. Jeff Stokes says:

James might want to try a forum post on that for Windows Server 2012. I’m at a loss on how to do that stunt personally. Sounds like good info though.

8. TheresNoTime says:

Brian, I was wondering the same, found this below:

1 is on 0 is off. 1 means COM ports on local client are available for redirection, 0 means COM ports are not available.

9. ralph says:

Thanks for the help(TheresNoTime), changing/adding "redirectcomports:i:1" worked for me

10. Jeff Stokes says:

Hey someone asked if they can contact me. I see our blog format changed….

Um. jeff.stokes@microsoft.com is me!