This is a special post, from the Microsoft Premier Field Engineers (PFE) Vital Signs Instructors alias…something we felt should be shared.
EDIT 2016: Note that Clint Huffman made a post to do this in logman in a black box recorder stype. I recommend following that too if you need the functionality: Clint's world, party time, excellent
If you had noticed, it’s difficult to sustain a data collector set in Perfmon for 2008 R2 through a reboot, so it automatically starts after the reboot. Well, here is how to make it work properly.
1. Define a User Defined Data Collector Set in Perfmon. You don’t have to define any schedule for it.
2. Go to Start -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Task Scheduler
3. Browse to Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows –> PLA
4. Enable Hidden Tasks (View -> Show Hidden Tasks)
5. You should see all your User Defined Data Collector Sets in here.
6. Open your set, go to Triggers and set up “At Startup“ trigger
Hope this helps you with your performance data collection needs!
Special shout out to Martin Vokurek in Prague for developing the details on this!