This guide is also available on my personal blog: https://setupconfigmgr.com/maintaining-the-wsus-catalog-by-declining-updates-for-better-sccm-scanning
In this video guide, we will walk through the process of maintaining our WSUS catalog to reduce the catalog size and client scanning issues. In this guide, we will cover ensuring the IIS AppPool for WSUS is improved, indexing the SUSDB, setting up a task to run a script to automatically decline any superseded updates, change the wsyncmgr purge of expired updates from 7 days to 0. and compare the initial catalog download size on a client.
There's a lot of good WSUS maintenance scripts out there now. In my video, I used Bryan Dam's script. See the resources below for a lot of great information that will be helpful in addition to what I cover.
- Do NOT remove the "all" in the language script (Decline-Windows10Languages.ps1) as I did in the video at 25:14. If you run the script with the standalone WSUS option, removing the "all" language may cause some language-independent updates to be declined.
- It's recommended to first run the script with the -Whatif switch to determine the impact of running the script.
- Scheduled Task Options for Bryan Dam's WSUS Scripts
- Program: powershell.exe
- Argument: Please see the arguments section at the bottom of this post for an unformatted version of the arguments.
Topics in Video
- Review SUP Products that are Enabled - https://youtu.be/wqBaTp855sk?t=117
- Review WSUS Catalog for Un-Maintained WSUS Catalog - https://youtu.be/wqBaTp855sk?t=171
- Review All Software Updates in SCCM Console - https://youtu.be/wqBaTp855sk?t=295
- Perform Update Scan on Client to Un-Maintained WSUS Catalog - https://youtu.be/wqBaTp855sk?t=343
- Review Catalog Download Size on Client (13.5MB) - https://youtu.be/wqBaTp855sk?t=567
- Optimize WSUS IIS AppPool Settings - https://youtu.be/wqBaTp855sk?t=730
- Indexing SUSDB - https://youtu.be/wqBaTp855sk?t=797
- Creating the two WSUS SUSDB Indexes to Improve Speed when Declining Updates - https://youtu.be/wqBaTp855sk?t=881
- Adding Scheduled Task for Declining Updates to Run Bryan Dam's Script - https://youtu.be/wqBaTp855sk?t=946
- Changing wsyncmgr Expired Purge Time From 7 days to 0 Days - https://youtu.be/wqBaTp855sk?t=1765
- Perform Update Scan on Client to Maintained WSUS Catalog (2MB) - https://youtu.be/wqBaTp855sk?t=1896
Resources for This Guide:
- The complete guide to Microsoft WSUS and Configuration Manager SUP maintenance - https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configurationmgr/2016/01/26/the-complete-guide-to-microsoft-wsus-and-configuration-manager-sup-maintenance/
- Bryan Dam's Script | Software Update Maintenance Script Updated: All the WSUSness - https://damgoodadmin.com/2018/04/17/software-update-maintenance-script-updated-all-the-wsusness/
- Johan Arwidmark | Fixing WSUS - When the Best Defense is a Good Offense | This post links out to many additional posts about WSUS optimization - https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/665/Fixing-WSUS-When-the-Best-Defense-is-a-Good-Offense
- Enhancing WSUS database cleanup performance SQL script - https://stevethompsonmvp.wordpress.com/2018/05/01/enhancing-wsus-database-cleanup-performance-sql-script/
- WSUS Reindex SUSDB Script - https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61
- Script to Change wsyncmgr Purge of Expired Updates From 7 Days to 0 Days - https://setupconfigmgr.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Adjust-WSync_UpdateCleanupAge.zip