What’s your job title ?

imageI hate it when a web site demands you register and asks you for everything from your date of birth to your shoe size.  And I’m painfully aware that some Microsoft sites are part of this tendency. We do try group people in some broad buckets either to send them the right information in the future, or to get an idea of who we reached with a particular item. Job title helps with that, some people either  get exasperated with the forms or have a sense of humour or have very strange business cards.  I should talk ! Some people think “Evangelist” is quite a funny thing to have on your card

Here’s the list of some of the titles we’ve seen

• Big Chief Computer Dude
  • Locksmith
  • Parking Attendant
  • Part-time Pimp
  • Skiver
  • Skivvy
  • Village Idiot

I do wonder if “Cross Stitch Pattern Designer” is a reference the Jacquard loom. And I think I met the Chief Snoggable Officer

James , Andrew Fryer (new SQL/BI Evangelist) and I were helping a charity to implement some infrastructure

2. James ONeill says:

There are only 2 slashes and a colon – it might look like 3 in the photo here, (blame the phone camera) but card definitely has 2.

3. James ONeill says:

You’re right. I have it correct in my e-mail sig, but it’s wrong on the card.

{Darn, I know this – in one of posts about e.164 I said "By the way if you follow RFC3966 and make your phone number a link in the form with a URL of TEL:+44-1234-56789 (n.b. there’s no // in the URL) people who have a supported dialer (like communicator) can click to dial." look at the card, and you’ll see the TEL: is wrong in the same way}

But then…

I spelt evangelist wrong on the order and the printer got in touch to check. I guess they don’t have the same understand of correct URIs as they do for correct English.

Moral of the story don’t set the text for your card late at night.

4. James ONeill says:

🙂 Someone taking The Mikado ?

5. James ONeill says:

Andrea, I don’t think it’s on their the business card, just in the forms they field in.

6. andrew finkenstadt says:

Thoughtworks (the people that do Cruise Control, and Mingle, and other stuff like consulting) lets each individual contributor pick their own title for their business cards, with the proviso that you get to pick it exactly once until you are demoted to something like manager.

I often find myself thinking that if I went to Thoughtworks, I’d make my title "Lord High Everything Else."  🙂

–andy

7. AdamV says:

Mine’s generallt quite boring but since I run my own business I do use variations depending on circumstances – CEO, MD, Technical Director, etc.

I do like the one Jeremy Moskowitz has (Group Policy MVP who runs GPAnswers.com) – he describes himself as "Chief Propeller-Head" which I think is great.

8. Andrea Morris says:

Did someone really have the guts to put "God" on their business card? Thanks for the great list.

9. Melissa says:

If I were doing it now, I’d probably have to say "Conceptual Internet Cat Operator" (which is true, I actually operate a conceptual Internet cat, c.f., an actual cat, which are harder to operate).

Years ago, I used to put "Fixengrüber", which sounded teutonically technical in the same way that Häagen-Dazs hints of rich European ice-cream sophistication.

10. Melissa says:

Incidentally, what are those slashes doing in that mailto: URL on your business card? (See RFC 2368 <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2368.txt&gt;).

Is it humor?  If so, maybe it’s too subtle…

11. Melissa says:

But the point is, there shouldn’t be *any* slashes in an RFC2368 mailto URL.   It’s mailto:snafu@foo.bar.