Nice - Geo data types built right into the next version of SQL Server which is likely be called SQL Server 2008. The data will be first class which means it can be indexed too 🙂
Here's an excerpt from the Virtual Earth Blog:
- Spatial will be supported in the next release of SQL Server (code named Katmai) as system data types
- Katmai is scheduled to ship in 2008 and will most likely be called SQL Server 2008
- Katmai spatial will support two models: a “Flat Earth” planar data type and a “Round Earth” geodetic data type
- The Flat Earth data type (GEOMETRY) will support the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) Simple Features for SQL Specification with support for approximately 70 spatial methods/functions
- There will be spatial indexes for both planar and geodetic data types
Read more info here: View article...