Windows Vista Tips & Tricks

Today, courtesy of Mr Akrigg, I found out a rather nice trick for Windows Sidebar.  if you’ve got applications open and you want to get access to the Sidebar or any of my gadgets on your desktop just hit Windows Key + Spacebar and voila, all your SideBar goodness is easily accessible.  Marvelous.

Example:

Where are my gadgets?

(Windows Key + Spacebar)

There they are!

Hey John

The Sidebar is transparent – you can’t change that fact. You can change the gadgets however – it’s in their individual settings – right click the gadget and look at the opacitiy option.

Cheers

James

Hi Jonathan

It’s just a simple image gadget at the moment, but there is definitely the opportunity to make it more feature rich… what did you have in mind?

James

Hi Bernard

When do you receive the message – can you see the sidebar at all?  If you like you can email me at james@microsoft.com for a faster response.

Thanks

James

Hi Hauran

Sounds like that key has been disabled somehow (perhaps by your PC manufacturer)

http://www.autohotkey.com/ is what you need to reconfigure your keys.

James

5. Paul says:

So, this acts like most other gadget/widget programs ‘bring to front’ key? (well, I’m actually just referring to Konfabul….Yahoo Widgets)

If so, awesome. That’s the one thing that annoyed me about the sidebar – no bring to front.

6. Jonathan says:

James, is that an HTC P4350 emulator gadget (or a Windows Mobile gadget with a Herald skin)? Would that only be for the privileged few or available to all? I’ve had a search around but can’t find anything like it.

7. Nguyễn Vương Anh says:

Windows + X Mobile center

WinDows + U Ease Of Access Center

Windows + T Taskbar

Windows + G Gadget

I come form VietNam, i very like Windows Vista

Do you have "Vista Quiz","Microsoft Quiz", i need it.

Please send mail to me: vuonganh172003@gmail.com

8. Nguyen Vuong Anh says:

Windows + X Mobile center

WinDows + U Ease Of Access Center

Windows + T Taskbar

Windows + G Gadget

I come form VietNam, i very like Windows Vista

Do you have "Vista Quiz","Microsoft Quiz", i need it.

Please send mail to me: vuonganh172003@gmail.com

9. vanchinathan says:

Vista can send you emails!

Vista can send you emails! The Computer Management tool can still be accessed by right-clicking “Computer” and selecting “Manage” from the menu.

However, now you can attach a task to any event. Try navigating through System Tools / Event Viewer / Windows Logs / Application. Now, go ahead and select an event – then look to the rightmost pane and click “Attach Task to This Event.” Name it whatever, describe it however, click through the next step, then in the Action step, you’ll see the “Send an e-mail” option.

i found more tips at http://www.discussweb.com/operating-systems/3376-windows-vista-tips-tricks.html

Thanks

Vanchinathan

10. John Flynn says:

How can I get the skin on my sidebar to be transparent

to my desktop.

Thanks John Flynn

11. Bernard says:

I can’t get my windows sidebar to work. it tells me that I need permission by the administrator; but I am the administator, and the only person who uses the PC. many thanks.

12. hauran says:

the windows + space doesnt work to bring the sidebar to front.

any ideas?

Thanks

13. Jeff Hatchett says:

Like John Flynn, my sidebar is not transparent.  When I first recieved the laptop from Dell, it was.  After the first WUS, it changed to grey.  How can I make it transparent again.  BTW, I tried the opacity options for each of the gadgets, that didn’t work.

Thanks,