Hyper-V Server is now available as a free download.
When to Use Hyper-V Server 2008
Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 is a great choice for customers who want a basic and simplified virtualization solution for consolidating servers as well as for development and test environments. Hyper-V Server 2008 only offers the most basic of virtualization features, making it ideal for:
- Test and Development
- Basic Server Consolidation
- Branch Office Consolidation
- Hosted Desktop Virtualization (VDI)
Customers who require richer and more robust virtualization features, such as Quick Migration, multi-site clustering, large memory support (greater than 32 GB of RAM), and more than four processers on the host server, should use Windows Server 2008. Windows Server 2008 provides business continuity, disaster recovery, greater scalability for consolidating large workloads, and flexible and cost-effective virtualization rights (one free virtual instance for Standard Edition, four free virtual instances for Enterprise Editions, and unlimited virtual instances for Datacenter Edition with the purchase of a license of Windows Server 2008).
APIs, Specifications, and How-To
- NEW! Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 Getting Started Guide
- NEW! Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 Configuration Guide
- Hypervisor Functional Specification—Hyper-V Hypercall API
- Virtualization WMI Provider
- Virtual Hard Disk Image Format Specification
- Performance Tuning Guidelines for Windows Server 2008