Adding Custom Attributes in Active Directory
Enable Schema Updates by Means of the Registry:
Click Start, click Run, and then in the Open box, type:
Locate and click the following registry key:
On the Edit menu, click New, and then click DWORD Value.
Enter the value data when the following registry value is displayed:
Value Name: Schema Update Allowed
Quit Registry Editor.
Follow these steps to configure attributes
- Install the Schema snap-in (Start, Run, regsvr32 schmmgmt.dll).
- Go to Start -> Run -> Type MMC and press Enter
- Go to File -> Add/Remove Snap-in -> click Add -> Select Active Directory Schema and click Add
- Expand the Active Directory schema and Right Click Attributes
- Click “Create Attribute”
- Create New Attribute window will appear
- In Common name enter “ROLLNUMBER”
- Enter LDAP name also as “ROLLNUMBER”
- Get OID please refer http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms677620.aspx
- For our demo we have used DUMMY Values like 184.108.40.206.5
- Select the appropriate syntax, which in our case may be INTEGER. Assuming that in ROLLNUMBER we have all INTEGER Values.
- Mention Minimum and Maximum values if required. These are optional you can leave them blank.
- Once created your attribute will look as below
- Once Attribute is created, select Classes
- Expand CLASSES and Select PERSON
- Rick click PERSON and select Properties
- Click Attribute Tab and click Add
- Select the Attribute you created and click OK.
- Click OK to close all property windows
- Goto Start ->Run -> Type ADSIEDIT.MSC. For running this command you may need to install the support tools from the Windows installation CD.
- Open the Active Directory Service Interfaces (ADSI) Edit utility, then navigate to Configuration Container, CN=Configuration,
- Click CN=DisplaySpecifiers
- Click CN=409.
- In the right-pane, locate and right-click CN=user-display, and select Properties.
- Select AdminContextMenu and click EDIT
- In the Edit Attribute box, type the following:
27. Enter the following in the Empty box and Click Add
3,&ROLL NUMBER, c:\EnterAttrib.vbs
3 is the serial number
&ROLL NUMBER is the Attribute which will appear in User and Computers context Menu
C:\EnterAttrib.vbs is the script which will add the value to attribute
Please do not change the Syntax
- Click OK to close all window popups
- Select Configuration in ADSIEDIT panel and Right Click
- Click “UPDATE SCHEMA NOW”
- These steps configure the options ROLL NUMBER on the context menu for a user in the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in.
- You must write and place the following scripts on your C drive or somewhere else in your file path:
Set oVar = Wscript.Arguments
Set oUsr = GetObject(oVar(0))
tmp = InputBox("The Roll Number of the user is: " & oUsr.ROLLNUMBER & vbCRLF & vbCRLF & “Enter the new Roll Number Below“)
if tmp <> "" then oUsr.Put "ROLLNUMBER",tmp
Set oUsr = Nothing
How To Add Custom Attributes to the Directory Service Find List
Use ADSIEdit to select the Configuration namespace.
Expand the displaySpecifier container.
Expand the appropriate displaySpecifier container. For example, "409" is English.
View the Properties for the user-Display object.
Modify the attributeDisplayNames attribute by adding a value in the format:
For example, "Roll Number" looks like this: