Reading the TechNet article, Installing Edge Servers, it’s pretty straightforward to deploy the Lync Edge server role in your Lync topology.
While updating my demo environment with an Edge server, I followed the step-by-step guidance from the article, and made some print screens on the way.
1. Log on to the computer on which you want to install your Edge Server as a member of the local Administrators group or an account with equivalent permissions.
2. Ensure that the topology configuration file you created using Topology Builder, and then exported and copied to external media, is available on the Edge Server (for example, on the Edge Server, attach the USB drive onto which you copied the topology configuration file, or verify access to the network share where you copied the file).
In order to export your Lync server 2010 topology, policies, and configuration settings to a file, you can run the Lync shell cmdlet Export-CsConfiguration, and specify a file name and file location after the parameter FileName.
3. Start the Deployment Wizard.
4. In the Deployment Wizard, click Install or Update Lync Server System.
5. After the wizard determines the deployment state, for Step 1. Install Local Configuration Store, click Run and then do the following:
- In the Configure Local Replica of Central Management Store dialog box, click Import from a file (Recommended for Edge Servers), go to the location of the exported topology configuration file, select the .zip file, click Open, and then click Next.
- In the print screen below, you can see the error message if you would select “Retrieve directly from the Central Management Store”, followed by selecting “Import from a file (Recommended for Edge Servers)”.
- The Deployment Wizard reads the configuration information from the configuration file and writes the XML configuration file to the local computer.
- After the Executing Commands process is finished, click Finish.
6. In the Deployment Wizard, click Step 2: SetUp or Remove Lync Server Components to install the Lync Server edge components specified in the XML configuration file that is stored on the local computer.
7. After completing the installation, use the information in Set Up Edge Certificates to install and assign the required certificates before you start services.