Today at SQLPASS - Ted Kummert made some great announcements, bringing great momentum in the information platform industry.
Microsoft SQL Server "Denali"
Microsoft is announcing plans for the next release of SQL Server, SQL Server Code-Named "Denali" and the availability of the first community technology preview (CTP) of SQL Server Code-Named "Denali".
Microsoft SQL Server Code-Named "Denali" empowers organizations to be more agile in today's competitive market. Customers can efficiently deliver mission-critical solutions through a highly scalable and available platform. Industry-leading tools help developers quickly build innovative applications while data integration and management tools help deliver credible data reliably to the right users and extended self-service BI capabilities enable meaningful insights.
Features in SQL Server Code-Named "Denali" include:
- SQL Server AlwaysOn, a new high availability solution delivering increased application availability, lower TCO and ease of use.
- Project codename "Apollo", new column-store database technology delivering significantly greater query performance.
- SQL Server Tools Codename "Juneau," a new tool that unifies SQL Server and cloud SQL Azure development for both professional database and application developers and represents Microsoft's continued investment and commitment to integrating data into the overall development experience when targeting SQL Server.
- Data integration and management, new and enhance tools to deliver credible, consistent data to the right users at the right time, including new SQL Server Data Quality Services based on the technology from the Zoomix acquisition.
SQL Server 2008 R2 Parallel Data Warehouse
Microsoft also announced the general availability of SQL Server 2008 R2 Parallel Data Warehouse as well the Microsoft Critical Advantage Program (MCAP), which provides appliance customers with an end-to-end solution of pre-tested hardware and software configurations and services and support, all designed to make customers' business more efficient, cost-effective, risk-resistant, and competitive.
SQL Server 2008 R2 Parallel Data Warehouse extends Microsoft's leadership in data warehousing by accelerating its data warehouse roadmap and offering massive scalability for low TCO. Microsoft in collaboration with key partners will offer customers an appliance experience with an integrated software and hardware solution.
Mission Critical Advantage Program
The Microsoft Critical Advantage Program is designed to minimize risks for customers' mission critical solutions across their lifecycle. This includes support from Microsoft for architectural/operational reviews, enhanced maintenance of your system, and enhanced repair of your system when needed.
HP and Microsoft also announced the HP Enterprise Data Warehouse Appliance optimized for SQL Server 2008 R2 Parallel Data Warehouse.
Microsoft Codename "Atlanta"
Microsoft Atlanta is new cloud service for assessing SQL Server configurations to ensure best operational practices. The secure cloud service can help IT to proactively avoid configuration problems to reduce downtime and rapidly resolve identified issues through step by step guidance. For more information visit: www.microsoftatlanta.com.
Update to the Master Certification Program
Microsoft will now offer a revised MCM program for SQL Server experts, which allows SQL Server experts to achieve MCM certification at a lower cost and with more flexibility. The expanded availability of the new SQL Microsoft Certified Master program increases the visibility of Microsoft Certified Masters and reinforces their value in the competitive IT market with proof of deep technical know-how and mission-critical skills validated through passing the intensive certification exams. Visit: www.microsoft.com/learning
About SQL PASS
PASS Summit is the largest and most renowned Microsoft SQL Server and BI conference in the world, delivering the most technical sessions, the highest-rated sessions and speakers, and the greatest access to the Microsoft SQL Server development, SQL CAT, Business Intelligence, and Customer Service and Support teams of any SQL Server event.
- Press Release: "Microsoft Delivers Mission Critical Confidence to Customers with New Offerings"
- o http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2010/nov10/11-09PASS10PR.mspx
- SQL Server Virtual Press Room: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/sqlserver/Default.aspx
- Microsoft Codename Atlanta: www.microsoftatlanta.com
- Denali Homepage: http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/product-info/future-editions.aspx
- Microsoft Blogs on the news
- o SQL Server Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/sqlserver
- o STB News Bytes: http://blogs.technet.com/b/stbnewsbytes
- Microsoft Virtual Press Room: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/default.mspx
- Additional Links:
- o SQL Server 2008 R2: http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver
- o SQL Server Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/sqlserver
- o SQL Server 2008 R2 Virtual Launch Experience: www.sqlserverlaunch.com
- o TechNet Download Center: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=205500&clcid=0x409 SQL Server Connect website: https://connect.microsoft.com/sqlserver?wa=wsignin1.0
- o SQL Server Benchmark site: http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/product-info/benchmarks.aspx
- o PowerPivot for Excel and SharePoint: www.powerpivot.com