At TechEd North America, which is happing right now in Orlando, Microsoft has demoed some great features of Hyper V in Windows Server 2012.
There are a few demos you’ve got to see:
- 64 virtual processors in a VM
- 985,000 IOPs from a single Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V VM
o 4k Random IO; Queue Depth 32, 40 concurrent threads
o VMware tops out at 300,000 per VM; VMware needs 6 VMs to achieve this;
o Read this bullet again
- Offloaded Data Transfer ODX (file copies of 1 GigaBYTE) per second. Yes folks, copy a 10 GB file in 10 seconds.
o Works with SANs and the new Windows Server 2012 File Server
- Cisco Nexus 1000v for Hyper-V
- PowerShell as the engine for Run Book Automation with Hyper-V Replica
- Extending on premise private cloud to service provider
If you don’t believe these numbers, please go ahead and watch the Day 1 Keynote on Demand