I came across this document today, emailed the link to a few friends and then thought I should share it with everyone I know. I spend a great deal of time talking to people about system management and virtualization; with Microsoft technologies that requires a good understanding of SCOM. This is a great document for people starting out with SCOM implementations or even people experienced in the product. 100+ pages of great documentation from Microsoft Premier Field Engineers who live in the product.
Table of Contents
- Where do I see Views / Monitoring / Alerts etc. for my technology?
- Something shows as Red. How do I figure out why it is showing as Red?
- How do I get more detail on what is in my Technology’s Management Pack?
- How do I disable or tune something in Ops Mgr?
- How do I create a rule to be alerted on a scenario such as a user being added to domain admins?
- How do I create a Subscription which will notify when a given alert occurs.
- How do I know if OpsMgr is collecting a specific performance counter?
- How do I create a rule to collect performance data that is not already collected in a management pack, and show it in the graphs in Operations Manager?
- How do I create a performance monitor to monitor if a performance counter sample exceeds a threshold?
- How do I run a report for a performance counter that OpsMgr is collecting?
- How Do I Generate a Top ‘n’ Performance Report?
- How do I know what parameters are available in an event to monitor off?
- Appendix – Best Practices:
Go get it here.
Credits to Antoni Hanus and Jesse Harris from Microsoft PFE.