The stopped-server status is a common item that people can see when working with the FIM Service Management Agent. The purpose of this blog posting is to help centralize some information to help troubleshoot the stopped-server run status.
First, what is a stopped-server run status. It is a status that is returned in the RunStatus WMI Method. Find more information here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms699322(v=vs.100).aspx
Recommended Troubleshooting Steps
- In the table below, you will find some information on recommended troubleshooting steps to help isolate and possibly resolve a stopped-server run status issue. These steps are commonly run by the FIM/MIM Support Team when troubleshooting the stopped-server run status.
|TROUBLESHOOTING ITEM||BLOG / WIKI / ARTICLE REFERENCE|
|Where to look||
|Refresh the FIM Service Management Agent Schema||
|Rebuild the Indexes on both the FIMService Database and FIMSynchronizationService Database||
Forefront Identity Manager Management Agent Event Log
- The FIM Service Management Agent logs information to the Forefront Identity Manager Management Agent Event Log. You will find this Event Log in the Event Viewer under the Applications and Services Logs. If you are receiving a stopped-server run status, we do recommend starting here to discover what is happening.
- If you open a Microsoft Support Case, please export this Event Log, compress it and send it along with the Microsoft Support Case.
|FIM MA EVENT LOG||BLOG / WIKI / ARICLE REFERENCE|
|The export session has timed out waiting for responses||https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/iamsupport/2017/11/15/support-tip-fim-service-ma-stopped-server-the-export-session-has-timed-out-waiting-for-responses/|
|System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired||
SQL Server Error Logs and/or SQL Server Profiler Trace
- Part of troubleshooting, you may take a SQL Server Profiler Trace and/or review the SQL Server Error Logs. If you do, here are some things you may discover while reviewing those logs.
|SQL Server Exception||BLOG / WIKI / ARTICLE REFERENCE|
|an exception occurred while enqueueing a message in the target queue. Error 15517||https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/iamsupport/2017/09/01/support-tip-fim-service-ma-stopped-server-error-15517-state-1-cannot-execute-as-thed-database-principal-because-the-principal-dbo-does-not-exist-this-type-of-principal-cannot-be-imp/|
General Information on the FIM Service Management Agent
- The purpose of this section is to help tune the FIM Service Management Agent to possibly assist in preventing the stopped-server status. This does not mean that you will not receive it, it just assists in the possibility of reducing the risk of stopped-server.
|TOPIC||BLOG / WIKI / ARTICLE REFERENCE|
|Information on Tuning the FIM Service Management Agent||https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/iamsupport/2016/10/06/tuning-fim-service-ma-export-processing/|