A new VMM 2008 R2 rollup is now published and available thru Microsoft Update.
Description of the System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 hotfix rollup package: September 14, 2010
in this rollup:
Missing VM caused by a crash of a Hyper-V node and out-of-band failover
Cannot create VM on cluster shared volume if the host is configured to boot from VHD
Changing PRO Settings on a HostGroup with External MP imported causes VMMserver to crash
List of issues that are resolved
Duplicate virtual machines (VMs) may appear in the SCVMM Administrator Console window after a Hyper-V VM in a cluster fails over to another cluster node. Additionally, the status for one of the duplicate VMs is set to Missing. If you try to remove the missing VM from the SCVMM Administrator Console window, the VM is not removed.
Consider the following scenario:
- You install the Hyper-V role on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2.
- You configure the computer to start from a virtual hard disk.
- The computer is part of a Hyper-V failover cluster. The cluster is configured to use cluster shared volumes.
- You try to create a VM on a cluster shared volume by using SCVMM 2008 R2.
In this scenario, the operation fails together with the 2912 (0x8004232C) error code.
The Virtual Machine Manager service (Vmmservice.exe) crashes if the following conditions are true:
- System Center Operations Manager 2007 integration is enabled.
- A Performance and Resource Optimization (PRO) feature-enabled management pack is imported into Operations Manager.
- The PRO settings for a host group are changed on the SCVMM server.
This hotfix rollup package includes also the hotfixes that are documented in the following SCVMM 2008 R2 hotfix rollup packages:
982522 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982522/ ) Description of the System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 hotfix rollup package: June 8, 2010
978560 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978560/ ) Description of the System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 hotfix rollup package: February 9, 2010
976244 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976244/ ) Description of the System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 hotfix rollup package: November 10, 2009
How to obtain this SCVMM 2008 R2 hotfix rollup package
This hotfix rollup package is available on Microsoft Update.
To obtain this update from Microsoft Update, follow these steps on the SCVMM server:
1. Click Start, and then select Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel, double-click Windows Update.
3. In the Windows Update window, click Check Online for updates from Microsoft Update.
4. Click important updates are available.
5. Select Update for System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 (KB2308590), and then click OK.
6. Click Install updates.
Note If the Virtual Machine Manager or Virtual Machine Manager Agent service is running when this hotfix rollup package is installed on the SCVMM server, you have to restart the computer.
How to update the SCVMM agent on the Hyper-V and Virtual Server host
This update requires updating the VMM agent on the Hyper-V and Virtual Server hosts. The hosts will have a status of Needs Attention if the agent has not been updated.
To update the SCVMM agent on multiple hosts, follow these steps:
1. Open the SCVMM Administrator Console window.
2. Click Administration, and then click Managed Computers.
3. Select the hosts, and then click Update Agent.
4. Enter your user account credentials, and then click OK.