Using a calendar out on your SharePoint team site has a few
- Everyone on your team can access it and add
- Security is managed through SharePoint.
- If the calendar’s creator leaves the company,
the calendar still exists. This is an advantage over sharing calendars in
However, because I use Outlook to manage most of my
appointments, I find that going out to a separate site is a big drawback. Do I really
have to spend my day navigating among my various calendars? It turns out that I
don’t – I can manage everything directly from Outlook.
- Go to the SharePoint calendar you’d like to
- In the ribbon, click Calendar | Connect & Export | Connect to Outlook.
- You’ll have to click Allow and Yes through
the 2 security dialogs.
- You should see the SharePoint calendar available
now in Outlook.
- If you click the left arrow on the tab for the 2nd
calendar, you can view the 2 calendars in an overlay.
This ability to view the SharePoint calendar within Outlook
also has the following benefits:
- The Outlook calendar will automatically sync
- Changes and additions you make to the calendar
in Outlook will be reflected in SharePoint.
- You can toggle the calendar from your active
view by checking/uncheck the corresponding box on the left.