How to add an alias to an Office 365 account and how to set up Outlook to send email messages as this alias

This article describes how to add an alias email address to a user’s Microsoft Office 365 account by using Microsoft Exchange Online and how to configure Microsoft Outlook to send email messages as this alias. These steps involve setting up a “dummy” POP3 account by using the user’s alias.

More Information

Step 1: Add an alias to a user’s Office 365 account

In Office 365 for enterprises
  1. Sign in to the Office 365 portal.
  2. In the header, click Admin.
  3. Under Exchange Online, click Manage.
  4. In the left pane, click Users & Groups, and then click Mailboxes.
  5. In the list of users, select the user to whom you want to add an alias email address, and then click Details.
  6. Expand E-Mail Options. A list of user’s email addresses is displayed.
  7. Click Add to add a new alias email address.

In Office 365 for professionals and small businesses

1. Sign in to the Office 365 portal.
  2. In the header, click Admin.
  3. Under Outlook, click General settings.
  4. In the left pane, click Users & Groups tab, and then click Mailboxes.
  6. Click E-Mail Options. A list of user’s email addresses is displayed.
  7. Click Add to add a new alias email address.

Step 2: Obtain the POP, IMAP and SMTP settings of the user’s Office 365 account

1. Sign in to the Office 365 portal, and then in the header, click Outlook.
  2. Click Options, and then click See All Options.
  3. In the left navigation pane, click Account, and then click My Account. Under Account Information, click Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access.
  4. The Protocol Settings window lists the POP, IMAP, and SMTP settings for the user. Keep this window open or copy the settings information. You will need the information in the next step.

Step 3: Configure Outlook to send email messages as the alias

1. Open Outlook with the Office 365 profile.

2. Click File, then click Account Settings, and then click Account Settings.

3. On the E-mail tab, click New.

4. Click Manually configure server settings or additional server types, and then click Next

5. Click Internet E-mail, and then click Next

6. Enter the following information:

• Your name: The user’s display name
    • E-mail Address: The alias that you want to send from.
    • Account Type: POP3
    • Incoming mail server: Use the POP setting that you obtained in step 2. It should resemble
    • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): Use the SMTP settings that you obtained from step 2. It should be the same or similar to the POP3 setting.
    • User name: The user’s Office 365 sign-in name/email address.
    • Password: The user’s Office 365 password.

7. Click More Settings.

8. Click the Outgoing Server tab, and then click to select the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication check box.

9. Click the Advanced tab, and then click to select the This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) check box.

10. In the Outgoing server (SMTP) box, type 587.

11. In the Use the following type of encrypted connection list, click TLS.

12. Under Delivery, set the delivery options that you want.

13.Click OK.

14. Click Next. The account settings that you entered are tested. When these tests are completed, click Close.

15. Click Finish.

A POP3 account is created for the alias. However, you must also have to make sure that this POP3 account does not send and receive items in Outlook.

Make sure that the POP3 account does not send and receive items in Outlook
  1. In Outlook, click File, click Options, and then in the left navigation pane of the Outlook Options window, click Advanced.
  2. Under Send and receive, click Send/Receive.
  3. In the Group Name area, select All Accounts, and then click Edit.
  4. In the Accounts list, select the new email alias account.
  5. Click to clear the Include the selected account in this group check box.
  6. Click OK, click Close, and then click OK.

Note To change whom the email messages are sent from (either from the user’s aliases or primary address), you may have to enable the From field in Outlook. To do this, follow these steps:

1. In Outlook, click New E-mail to open a new email message.
  2. Click the Options tab. In the Show Fields group, click From to enable the From field in all new email messages.

Applies To

Microsoft Office 365 for Enterprise

1. Alan Byrne says:

Another option is to use a Distribution List to "hold" the email alias, then permission send as rights to the new DL.  A detailed guide on how to do this can be found here:…/send-as-an-alias-in-microsoft-office-365

2. Sally D says:

Video might be useful for new outlook user who wants to know how to create and delete email alias

3. Daniel Yu says:

These instructions do not work if the company has Active Directory sync.

4. This is Soldier says:

There does not appear to be a Manage option Under Exchange in Office 365 for Enterprises. I keep seeing this as a choice in the various solutions to adding an alias/proxy address but it is not there.

5. Mark Stokes says:

As mentioned in another comment, this does NOT work for tenancies using federated authentication (ADFS and DirSync).  How do we set these properties in this scenario?

6. Leslie says:

Using 365 that was implemented in 2013. There is no selection for "details" and no ability to add a secondary email address.  Quite disappointed at how difficult 365 is to administer in comparison to Google Apps!

7. Maher Ramadan says:

i want to confirm that this doesn't work on hybrid, the customer is asking, do we have a link that says so clearly

i tested it and it doesn't work

8. user says:

This is a stupid way of handling aliases because a business model was baked in to the pie.

9. Bob Side says:

Info is out of date  e.g "Users & Groups" is now Recipients; "Details" is now double click on Display Name

10. DL says:

These instructions don't help at all.  I have Enterprise E1.  Come on MS – where do we add an alias?!?!

Pingback from Adding Alias email in Office 365 account | Perfect Choice

12. Anon says:

ad the alias using smtp

13. Michael L says:

Hi, how can I see when a mail comes IN, that its the mailalias, that has been used? Today I have several aliases, but all of them, is just called what my primary account is called. PLease avice. Thanks. Best regards, Michael

14. Duncan Drury says:

This does not work. No matter what is put in the From field the default address is always inserted by the mail server. Don’t waste your time trying this.

15. Rich Thomsen says:

I just performed these steps using my MSDN O365 Account (E3 type) and was able to successfully send as one alias, and then switch to the alternate account and send as another alias. Verification was done by sending two messages to a Lotus Notes account at another domain and expanding the ‘From Details’ to check the addresses. Each message had a different from address. The outstanding question I have is whether these aliases can cross over between different email domains (all managed within the same O365 tenant). I can’t test that with MSDN.

16. Allen Borza says:

Leslie sait it perfectly:
    "Using 365 that was implemented in 2013. There is no selection for "details" and no ability to add a secondary email address. Quite disappointed at how difficult 365 is to administer in comparison to Google Apps!"

Microsoft has outdated info everywhere and few working links. Even if this is some evil plan by Google giving funky rankings on any useful instructional content, you should interlink your pages and versions a LOT better. Sad for such a huge company to fall
    so short here.

17. PFM says:

HELP! I submitted this to MS, but I am hoping someone might know? I just switched to OWA365 and switched my mail hosting from my ISP to MSOWA. As some people have stated the UI is not UF (user friendly), but I figured it out and everything works except
    one thing.

When I start a new email and switch the From: to one of my alias accounts a couple of things happen. The first, is a glitch where I have an alias in the From, but my avatar picture from my primary email populates in the email. Fortunately, the recipient does
    not receive the Avatar picture, but rather the generic blue man icon; however, at first sight it is unnerving to see that may actual picture might be sent with my alias email.

Second and most important is when I do send an email from an alias account all goes well and the recipient receives the email from my alias as intended. However, when the hit reply, the alias account is shown in the FROM field and they send it to me. When it
    hits my exchange MSOWA 365 switches the alias to my primary so it looks like it was sent to me and not my alias account. If I open the email and hit reply again it is my primary email account the populates the From filed – not the alias email account. If I
    send the same email to my Gmail account everything works fine for a back and fourth email conversation when the email is routed through the Gmail server. It is only when the Alias email is processed through the OWA365 exchange server does the email default
    back to my primary email address???

Any help resolving this issue is greatly appreciated!

18. Richard says:

Does the + symbol trick work with Office365 ?
    e.g. If you have you can tell someone your email address is and any email they send to that alias will just go in to your inbox.

I’d like to be able to do this with Office365 as it’s a great way of filtering spam.

19. Brooker192 says:

Setup Alias in Office 365 Exchange Admin Center (E3)

1.In the EAC, navigate to Recipients > Mailboxes.

2.In the list of user mailboxes, click the mailbox that you want to add an email address to, and then click Edit Edit icon.

3.On the mailbox properties page, click Email Address.

On the Email Address page, the primary SMTP address is displayed in bold text in the address list, with the uppercase SMTP value in the Type column.

4.Click Add Add Icon, and then click SMTP to add an SMTP email address to this mailbox.

SMTP is the default email address type. You can also add Exchange Unified Messaging (EUM) addresses or custom addresses to a mailbox. For more information, see "Change user mailbox properties" in the Manage user mailboxes topic.

5.Type the new SMTP address (Alias) in the Email address box, and then click OK.

The new address is displayed in the list of email addresses for the selected mailbox.

6.Click Save to save the change.

Hope that helps

20. Brooker192 says:

If you are struggling to find the EAC or Exchange Admin Center in the Enterprise Version of 365 Office

Login to your Office 365 Account
    Click the ADMIN Square
    Down the bottom look for ADMIN
    Click Exchange – You’re now in Exchange Admin Center

21. Assad says:

I need help, I am going to delete an email id and alias it under another, so tell me first I have to make it under alias and then delete or delete first and than make it alias with another one.

which is logically true.