Speaking of the number 10

Joel just posted an entry about the future. How in 10 years everyone will have a home server. Glenn Derene is right…the idea that homes everywhere will have at least one, always available, powerful computing node providing services for the other devices in the house…something that truly enables a rich platform for the home…is a core part of our vision for the future.

But here and now, we are really just getting started. And the # 10 comes up again. We designed Windows Home Server to be simple. It turns out that the number 10 is a great rallying point for simplicity. UI lists with more than 10 items get cumbersome for example. So Windows Home Server supports up to 10 user accounts and you can install the Windows Home Server connection (and thus back up) up to 10 PCs.

I was also born on September 10, so I have a particular love of the number 10.

-cek

P.S. the first person who posts a comment accurately describing why I felt compelled to post this entry gets a Windows Home Server coffee tumbler.

Not even close.

It took Gordon Laing 10 items on his list of considerations to get around to the importance of backing up data.

With the recent posts on the WHS UX blog, talking about UI prototypes, I’ll guess it’s a usability testing tie-in.

In usability tests, you only need to test with 10 people. At that point, you’ll see different people hitting the same problems, so there’s little benefit from testing with more people.

Still not close. It has to do with the #10; you got that right. But why was I *compelled* to post the entry?

Depending on how you count, this is the 10th ‘set’ of Windows? (Based on the NT Kernel – if you exclude certain ‘point’ releases… heh).

Because the limit on Windows Server 2k3 below ‘Standard’ editions as well as I believe Win3.11 through WinXP for simultaneous connections to one computer (i.e., a Workgroup architecture) is 10? (although that is sort of "why you can only install it on 10 PCs).

Beyond that I’ve got nothin’. ๐Ÿ™

Easy — the date is 5/5 (May 5th), so 5+5 = 10.

I said a NON Microsoft website. Should I post another hint? I don’t want to make this too easy though.

davwilli is the winner!!! Send me your postal address and the tumbler is on the way.

Because I’m not a "neutral party" I’m not supposed to edit the Windows Home Server wikipedia article myself. I actually did it anyway (changing 12 to 10) and someone else added a {{Fact}} entry (which resolves to "Citation Needed") and commented that they "Can’t find a source that says "10 PCs"".

I did a Live search, a Google search, and I looked through our getting started guide, etc… and sure enough we’ve never actually written authoritatively that you can only join 10 PCs.

So I figured I’d have a little fun. Now we’ll see how long it takes for someone to cite my blog post :-).

Nope, nope, and nope.

Hint: It has something to do with a non-Microsoft website.

A child of yours or someone close to you turned 10 today?

Release date of WHS will be October 10, 2007

You commented on this wkwipedia article that no one had ever said publicly that WHS is limited to 10 PC’s, and you wanted to make it clear?

I think another hint might be in order. It has been over a day with few additional guesses/comments.

Did you mean the Channel 10… on10.net videos that have been posted about Home server?

Thank you for the Cool tumbler. I think down the road someday I will enjoy telling my Grandkids(future) that …I actually helped beta test that server that runs everyting in this house… you guys are developing a great product, one that will maybe have more impact than the PC! I enjoyed reading all the articles  Live Search found for me while searcing for the answer, and learned a little about the develpment process of WHS, again Thanks.

This is your 10th anniversary (either with your spouse or at Microsoft).

You’ve just done an interview with on10.net about WHS.

"In ten years, everything that could benefit from a microchip inside will have a microchip inside. And that means that weโ€™re all going to own a lot of computers."

The average family is four people, one computer, one handheld, 2 tv/media boxes/xbox.

10 computer devices is 2.5 devices per person in the average family.

10 users == four family members, with the high divorce rate it is not uncommon for extended families to be a mom, dad and one step parent. If each branch has a set of grandparents and one aunt/uncle that would be 6 additional accounts.

The number 10 does seem to strike a good balance.

1.  You are a fan of Bo Derek? (lets hope not of Dudley Moore!!)

2.  You will be releasing the next CTP on 5/10?

3.  You like to use long distance services 10-10-220

4.  Windows Home Server is better than Solaris 10?

5.  You always watch David Letterman for his top 10 list?

6.  This was your 10th blog post?

7.  Because there are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don’t?

8.  Because tomorrow is 5/5 which 5+5=10?

9.  You have 10 fingers and 10 toes?

10. Windows Home Server 10 is going to support X10 cameras!

I think that guy Glenn is way behind the curve, 10 years? My guess is this time next year, most tech savvy households will either have, or want, a Home Server.

Edit my last post, should have said RTM will be 9/10/2007, would be a great birthday present. WHS is a definite "10" in any case!

Does it have something to do with your 10 minute pep talk to your team, about negative publicity, and now your getting good PR, speaking matter of factly about adoption of WHS.Probably due to your transparancy.(your blog on 3/30)

Cool. It was fun. 631 Roanoke Rd.,Venice,FL,34293

Someone updated it. That was fun.

…your 10th anniversary working at Microsoft? (Or with a specific team)? (Sorry, inspiration hit me as I was walking out the door. ๐Ÿ™‚ )

I give, its midnight here in the East, gotta go to sleep.