Beta 2 - When, How, Where, Who, etc.
After 24 hours of announcing the survey for nominating yourself to participate in the Windows Home Server Beta 2 program, we had responses from over 10,000 people in 107 different countries. We get a new person filling out the survey every 7 seconds. Today, the number has passed 20,000 people from 111 different countries.
We are putting the finishing touches on the Connect Site for Windows Home Server Beta 2 and trying to figure out who will be the lucky ones and who will be sorely dissapointed ... needless to say - we don't really want to dissappoint anybody. Thanks in advance for your patience !
You will initially need to be able to burn your own DVD and CDs so that you can install the Windows Home Server software from the DVD and the Windows Home Server Connector software onto 1 or more of your PCs in your home. There is a 2nd CD, called the Home Computer Restore CD, that you can use to do a complete restore of a PC from a backup stored on your home server.
We are trying to provide an option for people in certain geographies with the ability to order Disk Kits and charge simply on a 'cost recovery' basis for those who do not have the means for burning their own DVDs and CDs. The Disk Kit option will not be available for all geographies - and information about this option will be posted on our Connect site, if and when you get accepted into the program.
Lots of other Questions - a few answers
- Will you be providing hardware?
- No, you will need to provide your own hardware for testing Windows Home Server. That is why we asked that question in the survey.
- Do I really need a broadband connection?
- Yes, as we want people that will be able to test the Remote Access options in Beta 2.
- Will the Windows Home Server Beta 2 software and documentation be available in multiple languages?
- No, Beta 2 will only be available in English.
- Does Beta 2 come with any documentation or manuals?
- Yes, there are 3 separate documents that come with the Beta 2 software
- Gettting Started Guide - explains the hardware requirements and steps for installing the Windows Home Server software
- Reviewers Guide - detailed overview of the product and a step-by-step guide of the Beta 2 features and functionality
- Release Documentation - also known as a "Read Me" - known issues that you should be aware of before using the software
- How come you didn't offer "Maybe" as an option for some of the Yes/No questions?
- I was always told that "maybe" meant "NO"